Amiga Mini on the Way.

Nathan Wind

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Paul Andrews has a history of unlicensed compilations, I literally have one right here.  Also they never proved it was "their" ip and then they went after her friends.

But hey, even without that it's a shit product.  You've got a crap joypad and no keyboard to play joystick and keyboard games, I hope you enjoy Zool using up to jump!  To do anything much with it you need to have the sort of skills that would leave you much better off buying a Pi400 for £30 less and that's got a keyboard that actually works.

And normally I'm the last person to be all "Buy a Pi" but no money from this will be going to anyone remotely relevant in the creation of any of the ip so screw em.

Well I'm not really here to defend the company as I have no connection to them, but I don't think what you are saying is accurate. I am sure money will go to Team 17 who are creators of the IP being used (Worms). Likewise, money from Zool will go to the guy who founded Gremlin, who still owns the IP. And money from Speedball 2 will go to the Bitmaps. 

Still not sure you have substantiated the claim of "harassing women online". They "went after their friends" is a bit vague. My understanding of the situation (which I was not involved with at all) was that the director of the company filed a strike against a Youtuber for using their IP in their videos. And then followed up with an email asking them to stop. They then resolved the matter between themselves. Was there more to it and than this?

Edit: Just remembered the Bitmaps IP was sold to Rebellion recently, so yes, I guess you are right that the original IP creators there won't be paid. Another World - I am fairly sure the IP rights remain with the original creator there. Quite surprised to see that one on there, it hasn't popped up on any of the other places where these "usual suspects" games are re-appearing these days. 

1 hour ago, Skykid said:

AFAIK, it's the OS/software/firmware that won't read Amiga disks, rather than the drive hardware,

No, it's the hardware. That's why you needed specific devices (like the Catweasel) to read them on a PC - you couldn't just install some software.

38 minutes ago, Clipper said:

A good piece on the whole tawdry debacle here by Mr Biffo.

https://www.digitiser2000.com/main-page/horace-how-hungry-is-too-hungry

Seems mostly in line with what I said, except that I didn't realise he'd also gone through the same process with the person who made the plushies. Sorry, I don't want to come across all Gamergate but I don't think it's right to throw around accusations like "harassing women online" in this case, it implies a much seedier course of action than what's been shown here. One caveat - I believe it's absolutely essential that people who are in a position of influence take extra care that their actions don't lead to other people carrying our harassment on their behalf. So if the plushy vendor or the Youtuber were indirectly harassed by people influenced by what Andrews has said, then that's unacceptable. 

Of note though - Although Biffo goes quite in-depth into Andrew's business activities, he doesn't mention anything about him infringing IP. 

Just to add to that, Biffo's article implies that Paul Andrew's claim to owning Horace may not be legitimate but certainly doesn't go any way to proving it. His comments, along the lines of "Other games called Horace have been released and Andrews didn't sue them" are not the sort of thing that would stand up to legal scrutiny, it's clearly just internet speculation. I don't think Andrews is obliged to "prove" his ownership of anything unless he is taking legal action to enforce it (which didn't happen in this case). 

I am limiting my involvement this time to posting a simple summary above and my stance on his company and products won't change much. There was a thread at the time. If you look you will see there are other tweets and links in there that indicate that Horace is likely owned by one of many other parties other than ANdrews and his last word on subject was very woolly.

EDIT - the thread was closed due to a legal enquiry made to the mods so we may want to not rake over old coals too much.

3 hours ago, Dudley said:

But hey, even without that it's a shit product.  You've got a crap joypad and no keyboard to play joystick and keyboard games, I hope you enjoy Zool using up to jump!  To do anything much with it you need to have the sort of skills that would leave you much better off buying a Pi400 for £30 less and that's got a keyboard that actually works.

Based on the interview we've done you won't have to play Zool using up to jump unless you're some sort of masochist. You can also play games that require a keyboard.

3 minutes ago, strider said:

Based on the interview we've done you won't have to play Zool using up to jump unless you're some sort of masochist.

Well being able to remap buttons, especially “up”, has just made this a much more interesting product.

the only game where it feels natural is rainbow islands 

24 minutes ago, strider said:

Based on the interview we've done you won't have to play Zool using up to jump unless you're some sort of masochist. You can also play games that require a keyboard.

Yeah by plugging a keyboard into a keyboard which.... yeah.

It's also good that they seem to have gone with a recognisable crop of games, which I know was one of the criticisms of the C64 Mini (in the US at least). Particularly happy to see Another World and Simon the Sorceror as those haven't already been done to death on other re-release formats. I expect we will also see Cannon Fodder and MegaLoMania although ...  No other Codies licenses so maybe not, this time. Unless they are just keeping it secret because they know as soon as they name one game from a particular licensor, everyone will be able to guess the other games! 

Alien Breed (non-3D) is another safe bet. 

Also Gods and Xenon 2.

Long odds (but would be great) - Monkey Island 1 and 2, or other LucasArts stuff. They are already on Antstream so obviously licensable. 

Stunt Car Racer - unlikely but there's a chance!

Ultimate win but basically not going to happen: Dungeon Master. The IP holders seem to be actively against any attempts to license or re-release it. 

Not sure if I will get one. I've been going through an "original hardware" phase for a while and not sure I'm excited about emulation again, just yet. But if any platform deserves a Mini, it's the Amiga, so this had to be good news for retro in general. 

Pre-ordered through Amazon Smile so I have a donation to charity at the same time.

The C64 Mini and THEC64 got better with firmware updates and added games, and I can see the same happening here.

10 minutes ago, merman said:

Pre-ordered through Amazon Smile so I have a donation to charity at the same time.

The C64 Mini and THEC64 got better with firmware updates and added games, and I can see the same happening here.

Did they ever officially add new games to them? I know you could add your own ... But I'd always thought there was no reason they couldn't do "DLC" for them with official new games. 

If you add your own, do they fit in with the GUI experience and carousel and all that? Or do you just choose from a list of ROM files on a USB drive?

I love mini consoles but I've never been as excited about a mini console as I am for the A500. I was never aloud consoles when I was younger so I spent a lot of time with my A500 then A1200. I can't wait for this :) 

1 hour ago, AceGrace said:

Do Amazon take the money up front?

Or Smyths Toys?

Also is anywhere doing preorders for the pad. Would like to get an extra one

Amazon don’t take the cash until they have stock 

To answer 'that' question we are being asked over and over...

"Regarding the question being asked about a full-sized machine.  This is something we've considering for sure, as per in the press release, THEA500 mini is the first in the planned THEA500 range, but as you're all aware, such a project is very expensive to develop let alone design and manufacture, not forgetting this is not being paid for in advance like a 'Kickstarter' project like some peer products, this is straight to retail. Thus we have followed the process we have with THEC64 range, and started with a more mass-market "mini" device that will reach a larger audience and perhaps introduce a whole new generation to the much loved home computer.  If this is successful, and after the response we've had over the last few days we are sure it will be, then we will very definitely consider a full-sized release in one form or another.  Though this will likely be some time away in the future, as in, after the release in 2022 of the mini of course. To answer the question further also its worth saying, in very rough figures, THEC64 mini has sold approximately 80% of the total volume of global sales so far for that range as opposed to 20% of volume of sales for the full sized version. So prior sales indicate the mini is the more popular option for most consumers, but we still do want to create full sized versions for that very sizable 20% of you as well! So basically yes is the answer, as soon as practical!"

Those figures about the sales of THEC64 mini, weren't a lot of those sold to people who had ordered the full-size one as a sort of stop-gap? That might push the numbers up somewhat. 

I know the A600 was not iconic - and also had the taint of failure - but I'd have quite liked a compromise between Mini and Fullsize, in the form of an 80% sized A600 with working keyboard.

Perhaps not ideal for this product. But theoretically if someone were to launch the next real Amiga for hobbyists and nostalgists (like the ZX Spectrum Next), the A600 would be the tidiest shell.

On 10/08/2021 at 12:26, Dudley said:

But hey, even without that it's a shit product.  You've got a crap joypad and no keyboard to play joystick and keyboard games, I hope you enjoy Zool using up to jump! 

The C64Mini made sure that the built-in games had any unique keyboard controls mapped to different buttons on the joystick. I'm sure the same will happen here - and more comfortably considering it's a pad and not a shit joystick. For the "up to jump" issue, I'd be incredibly surprised if "up" wasn't mapped to one of the face buttons.

1 minute ago, SqueakyG said:

I know the A600 was not iconic - and also had the taint of failure - but I'd have quite liked a compromise between Mini and Fullsize, in the form of an 80% sized A600 with working keyboard.

Perhaps not ideal for this product. But theoretically if someone were to launch the next real Amiga for hobbyists and nostalgists (like the ZX Spectrum Next), the A600 would be the tidiest shell.

I've always thought this too. Although the 500 is by far the Amiga I get most nostalgic about, I'm just not sure I want a full-size one, replica or not, in my life these days. I've always thought of it as being like an American muscle-car, while the 600 is a sports hatchback. 

9 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

Is that really the most iconic version of the Amiga?

it played Dungeon Master without needing the half-Meg expansion.

it was my dream machine until I got the ST

mainly for this

image.jpeg.ef6376ea0a3ac77a8afca90d9e611d01.jpeg

#OneChonkyBoi