Amiga Mini(?) on the Way?

28 minutes ago, knightbeat said:

Are you referring to the A500/A2000 mouse? I recall the standard A1200/A4000 mouse being an RSI-nightmare (though do have large-ish hands).

Yeah, I meant the A500 mouse. I had the A1200 one, and it was a completely generic cheapo 90s mouse that I have no sentimental attachment to, but I thought it’d be nice to use a recreated A500 one for emulation. For a bit. Maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

Will this really see the light of day given how protective the Amiga community is on things? I mean, it's not like Krikzz's (excellent) products where you can pretty much drag and drop ROMs (of games you own of course) onto it and they just work.

Look at things like WHDLoad, Amigan's seem to be a bit particularly protective about Kickstarts and such which has always made me feel the wider reach of the system is being held back by a minority trying to wring some money our of and old platform. It's absolutely retro and I wish them well but suspect it'll be snarfed by Kickstart issues and the bun fight on who still owns what.

Just my 2c...

24 minutes ago, new666uk said:

Will this really see the light of day given how protective the Amiga community is on things? I mean, it's not like Krikzz's (excellent) products where you can pretty much drag and drop ROMs (of games you own of course) onto it and they just work.

Look at things like WHDLoad, Amigan's seem to be a bit particularly protective about Kickstarts and such which has always made me feel the wider reach of the system is being held back by a minority trying to wring some money our of and old platform. It's absolutely retro and I wish them well but suspect it'll be snarfed by Kickstart issues and the bun fight on who still owns what.

Just my 2c...

The perceived problem might be that there is still a commercial aspect to the Amiga - Cloanto purchased Commodore's IP and own the ROMs/Kickstarts etc for the Vic 20, C16, C64 and Amiga and have released the commercial Amiga Forever product for over 20 years. To officially get any version of Workbench and the relevant Kickstart ROMs, you just need to buy them from AmigaForever.com. I think the Plus version at $29.95 has them all. That's why the Amiga community is still protective of making Workbench or Kickstart roms freely available, they're still a commercially available product. 

However, Retro Games Ltd have a licensing deal with Cloanto for the C64 roms, they just didn't have the rights to the Commodore name, hence The C64 instead of Commodore C64 - and a strange replacement for the C= key). I would presume getting an Amiga version of The C64 is straightforward for Retro Games Ltd and The Amiga - or whatever it's called as the name Amiga is still owned by someone else I believe - hardware should be easy enough to do.

Getting games might be more difficult in some ways but easier in others. There's plenty of Amiga games still for sale on the likes of GoG, so the license owners are still happy making money out of them. However some of the more obscure games might be difficult to license. 

Looking at the top 100 games on Lemon Amiga, most of those games still seem to be commercially available. Something like Lotus might be impossible due to the Lotus license. Hewson and Gremlin Graphics' games were licensed to use on The C64, so something like Pinball Dreams, Slamtilt or maybe Zool 2 - as Zool has that Chupa Chups license - should be straightforward to get on it. The Cinemaware games are getting re-releases now, so whoever owns it is likely to license them. Likewise with Team 17 who are still going today. Might be difficult to get Moonstone, because I have no idea who owns Mindscape as it was bought by The Learning Company and then owned by several other companies. 

But overall I think this could be really exciting. The Amiga, unfortunately, is an absolute pain in the arse to go back to now. It was around at that point in technology when there wasn't really much interoperability or consistency, never mind a lot of documentation being lost to time or that floppy disks don't seem to be great at lasting 35+ years. 

With the Amiga, it's actually a lot easier just using emulation and if this ends up as a full sized version of the Amiga but can underneath emulate all of the systems, including the CDTV and CD32, with the added ability to add your own files, it could be a truly brilliant system that might actually be better than running original hardware.

26 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

I’ve always found it odd nobody did a small clone board that could use modern peripherals and io but was fully Amiga compatible. 

Isn't that just one of the USB adapters? Loads have drivers for controllers don't they?

2 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

The perceived problem might be that there is still a commercial aspect to the Amiga - Cloanto purchased Commodore's IP and own the ROMs/Kickstarts etc for the Vic 20, C16, C64 and Amiga and have released the commercial Amiga Forever product for over 20 years. To officially get any version of Workbench and the relevant Kickstart ROMs, you just need to buy them from AmigaForever.com. I think the Plus version at $29.95 has them all. That's why the Amiga community is still protective of making Workbench or Kickstart roms freely available, they're still a commercially available product. 

However, Retro Games Ltd have a licensing deal with Cloanto for the C64 roms, they just didn't have the rights to the Commodore name, hence The C64 instead of Commodore C64 - and a strange replacement for the C= key). I would presume getting an Amiga version of The C64 is straightforward for Retro Games Ltd and The Amiga - or whatever it's called as the name Amiga is still owned by someone else I believe - hardware should be easy enough to do.

Getting games might be more difficult in some ways but easier in others. There's plenty of Amiga games still for sale on the likes of GoG, so the license owners are still happy making money out of them. However some of the more obscure games might be difficult to license. 

Looking at the top 100 games on Lemon Amiga, most of those games still seem to be commercially available. Something like Lotus might be impossible due to the Lotus license. Hewson and Gremlin Graphics' games were licensed to use on The C64, so something like Pinball Dreams, Slamtilt or maybe Zool 2 - as Zool has that Chupa Chups license - should be straightforward to get on it. The Cinemaware games are getting re-releases now, so whoever owns it is likely to license them. Likewise with Team 17 who are still going today. Might be difficult to get Moonstone, because I have no idea who owns Mindscape as it was bought by The Learning Company and then owned by several other companies. 

But overall I think this could be really exciting. The Amiga, unfortunately, is an absolute pain in the arse to go back to now. It was around at that point in technology when there wasn't really much interoperability or consistency, never mind a lot of documentation being lost to time or that floppy disks don't seem to be great at lasting 35+ years. 

With the Amiga, it's actually a lot easier just using emulation and if this ends up as a full sized version of the Amiga but can underneath emulate all of the systems, including the CDTV and CD32, with the added ability to add your own files, it could be a truly brilliant system that might actually be better than running original hardware.

RGL is directed by the same person who is licensing director for Antstream, the good Mr Darren Melbourne, purveyor of fine chips of both the silicon and potato variety. So I'm fairly sure the games will be a similar set to those included on that platform (same as the crossover you will see with Antstream and TheC64.)

So I would expect a good deal of what you've mentioned, along with possibly some Bitmaps and Sensible stuff. The Cinemaware stuff I'm not so sure about, as that seems to be quite guarded (and well used) by whoever owns it. Certainly I would expect some Team 17 and maybe some Interplay for a bit of US flavour (the biggest market for TheC64, from what I've seen). 

The game that would make this a day one purchase for me though would be Dungeon Master. I would think that's highly unlikely though, as from what I know the IP owners have resisted (or more accurately, ignored), any attempts to license and rerelease it. Possibly because it has a strong homebrew community around it, and they don't want anyone to interfere with that.