IGNORED

Amiga Mini on the Way.

Nathan Wind

2 minutes ago, Clipper said:

Shadow of the Beast was  a pretty poor game - emphasis on pretty.

I remember seeing it when I owned a c64 - I couldn't believe it. Years later when I actually got to play it I realised it's an absolute turd of a game. 

2 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I remember seeing it when I owned a c64 - I couldn't believe it. Years later when I actually got to play it I realised it's an absolute turd of a game. 

Very much so, I'd rather have an interesting curio like AB3D that many didn't get a chance to play back in the day, and fewer got to play it properly on anything other than a non-expanded A1200.

I was never keen on the PSygnosis games, lots of time it was style over substance. Lemmings was lovely though which is a big big miss here so if you want to ditch AB3d then replace it with Lemmings if we are having a wish list :D

But it is all the licensing rubbish really that is why we don't have Sensible Soccer but we do have Kick Off 2(for fuck's sake!)

8 hours ago, Clipper said:

Shadow of the Beast was  a pretty poor game - emphasis on pretty.

Indeed. The music too, absolutely magical, shame it's all supporting terribly uninspired gameplay.

7 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

Indeed. The music too, absolutely magical, shame it's all supporting a terribly uninspired gameplay.

All 3 Shadow Of The Beast games have amazing music, but atrocious gameplay. 3 was at least approaching something you might vaguely want to play though, I guess.

The SotB games aren’t good in the conventional sense, but I would be lying if I said I didn’t get a lot of enjoyment out of the first two (never really played the third). The visuals and sound goes a long way towards creating a world that I really enjoyed exploring, and which seemed much bigger than it actually was, especially the second game. The combination of free exploration and insane difficulty make the game world seem really big and intricate, and extremely dangerous.

They we’re both impossible to play without the invincibility cheat, but for all that, I really loved my tours through those worlds. 

9 hours ago, Clipper said:

But it is all the licensing rubbish really that is why we don't have Sensible Soccer but we do have Kick Off 2(for fuck's sake!)

would you have accepted (Dino Dini’s) Goal?

20 hours ago, SeanR said:

would you have accepted (Dino Dini’s) Goal?

I really liked that. Players had momentum (like in the best football game ever, Emlyn Hughes) and it wasn't like playing pinball (like Sensi and Kick Off), so you could have a more measured game. You could also play horizontally or vertically (horizontal all the way).

On 24/04/2022 at 08:03, Robo_1 said:

Alien Breed 3D, (despite having pixels the size of a football field) has held up incredibly well. The gameplay, design, enemies and weapons are all sufficient but what really elevates it is those meaty sound effects. From the squeal and squelch to the blast of the shotgun, it's instant satisfaction every time you pull the trigger. :)

I was pleasantly surprised by how good it holds up as a Doom clone. And it most certainly is a "Doom clone"! It's got cacodemons and different coloured keys and all the same weapons and everything. It's a lot more impressive and playable than Gloom.

I say "playable"... the trouble is that the gameplay takes place in a small square using about 20 chunky pixels. I couldn't stand playing it for long and only saw the first few levels before I'd had enough.

Apparently you could make the gameplay window fullscreen with a certain key (though it didn't increase the pixel detail), but this seems to be disabled with the A500 Mini's virtual keyboard. I couldn't make it work.

On 24/04/2022 at 08:46, K said:

How well does it run on the Amiga Mini? Are we talking stock A1200, A1200 with loads of fast RAM, A4000, etc?

I think it's as fast as possible on the A500 Mini... 50fps? Maybe some slowdown happens, but it doesn't chug like it would have done on original hardware.

Alien Breed 3D was just a 15-minute quick look for me, and it probably shouldn't have been on the mini.

279449331_415888909925458_7680769743530019823_n.thumb.jpg.b5ed159c55470defa46473e6d0cf5a9f.jpg

YYYEEEAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! It's so small. It's just like having a tiny Amiga with non functional keys. Who knew? Having owned a CD32 and used the creaky pad, this 'replica' feels surprisingly good. I thought it might feel a bit small when I first took it out of the box but it's not too bad, similar in size to a SNES pad. Deffo prefer the joystick for Chaos Engine, Speedball and Alien Breed though. The D-pad is a bit firm.

Lorf'll be selling his A500 mini in about four months, so I'll probably sell him this one in what, eight to nine months? Place your bets.

From last Friday on RGs Facebook:

Just a little end of week update to keep you all ‘in the loop’!

We are in the final testing of the first firmware update #THEA500 mini and as soon as we can, will be releasing it! Obvious we must be sure nothing we are doing in any firmware update breaks something it shouldn’t, hence we have to be cautious before we do release updates!

We are aiming to cover as many things as practical within it you guys have been asking for, such as; more joystick compatibility, a few minor bugs/gripes sorted, plus more ways to access external #retrogaming files…

So, hold that thought, we will do it as soon as we can, and release it as soon as we can!

Thanks to all of you as ever for your ongoing support of what we do!

Just installed 1.1.0, the Hot-Crop with Home+Y works very well.

Really enjoying this on my livingroom TV, got a ton of Retroarch based systems, but sticking with just to the Amiga games I loved back in the 90s keeps it interesting for me, so far.

13 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Is it worth updating? Having a virtual keyboard at all times sounds useful. 

Yes for ADF support. It let me play Gone Fish'n again which is disk only.

• 2 weeks later...