IGNORED

Amiga Mini on the Way.

Nathan Wind

On 14/04/2022 at 14:41, MikeJ said:

There is indeed:

It works in a very similar way to the Amiberry emulator in the A500 mini, but on this one you get nice cover art etc on your manually added games and the online database automatically updates. 

Is there anything like this for the Atari St

1 hour ago, yakumo said:

Is there anything like this for the Atari St

Hatari? It’s considered the best, but Ive not done st emulation since the early days of PacifiST and STeem.

4 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Hatari? It’s considered the best, but Ive not done st emulation since the early days of PacifiST and STeem.

I remember using it years ago but when it was fiddly to use, not sure why but I have another go. Wouldn't mind playing Populous 2 again.

7 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Sunk a couple of hours into a league this afternoon.. but can anyone guess what I've been playing?

0.thumb.jpg.db9cb6b6f2906dd730f2b84649ec35ed.jpg

That is Football Glory I believe. I liked the way you could do stuff like volleys that weren't in SWOS.

17 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Might need to quit out of the game. On mine once I go to a game and press down it lets me select a save file then loads.

Thanks. I also realised this morning that simply pressing down on the d-pad when you are above an exisiting save changes the A button option to be load instead of save.

4 minutes ago, K said:

The developers of Football Glory were Croteam, who went on to do the Serious Sam games and the Talos Principle. 

I would happily take a reboot of Football Glory from them if they're at a loose end.

56 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

I would happily take a reboot of Football Glory from them if they're at a loose end.

Some kind of Serious Sam version of football, with massive pitches and thousands of players. 

23 hours ago, yakumo said:

I remember using it years ago but when it was fiddly to use, not sure why but I have another go. Wouldn't mind playing Populous 2 again.

The PC version of Populous 2 is on that EA Origin subscription service , or it was last time I looked, free if you have XBox Live Gold and 79p or something like that to buy. If you have a PC of course. 

1 hour ago, Anne Summers said:

The PC version of Populous 2 is on that EA Origin subscription service , or it was last time I looked, free if you have XBox Live Gold and 79p or something like that to buy. If you have a PC of course. 

Nice thank you.

I looked at all the 25 included games - some greats, and some worth a quick play. I actually got past those leeches at the start of Another World, and played Simon the Sorcerer for two and a half hours. Zool can get fucked though.

Now I'm checking out WHDLoad compatibility.

One small annoying thing is a controller inconsistency between the supplied games and the WHDLoad games on a USB stick. For the 25 games on the carousel the default controls usually have A=JoyFire1. But for WHDLoad games the default is X=JoyFire1 and A=JoyUp (it's good to have Up mapped to a button, but I don't want it on A). You can thoroughly remap the controller on a game-by-game basis, but not globally as far as I can see. I wish I could set global controller defaults.

Another thing: I'm in a goldilocks situation where I don't like any of the display sizes. The A500 Mini has three display size options: "Fixed size" seems to be a 2x integer, "Moderate zoom" is 3x integer, and "Screen fit" blows up the game to fill 720p.

Some problems with this: The non-integer fullscreen mode has hideous pixel scaling in dire need of some interpolation. Some people don't care, but it always irritates me! The "Moderate zoom" is my preference, however it doesn't work for the games that use 256 lines because that's too much for 3x integer at 720p, so it displays those games at the smallest size instead. So I often feel stuck between choosing the postage stamp option or the mishapen pixels option.

1080p output would have helped the A500 Mini to use bigger integer scales and look better at fullscreen. Also some kind of on-the-fly smart border cropping would have been good.

I've not tried it myself and my "study" is in work mode at the moment so the A500 Mini is packed away but p34 of the manual has this:

"Using your own peripherals
Using third-party controllers
While THEA500 Mini has been designed to work best with the included
peripherals, THEGAMEPAD and THEMOUSE, it is also compatible with Retro
Games’ THEJOYSTICK, as well as some third-party controllers and joysticks.
The button designations of most USB controllers follow one of the
three conventions established by Microsoft (Xbox), Sony (Playstation)
and Nintendo. The following table shows how the buttons of these, and
THEJOYSTICK, correspond to those of THEGAMEPAD."

https://retrogames.biz/support/thea500-mini/manuals/

Loving messing about with some games I haven't played in 25 years (Jimmy Whites still stands up), though it would be great if there was a fix available to auto map the joypad to whdload games which are expecting a joystick. 

Alien Breed 3D, (despite having pixels the size of a football field) has held up incredibly well. The gameplay, design, enemies and weapons are all sufficient but what really elevates it is those meaty sound effects. From the squeal and squelch to the blast of the shotgun, it's instant satisfaction every time you pull the trigger. :)

I was really enjoying Project X until I got to some proper old school bullshit after the water level boss. It seems the "guide your ship through thin corridors at increasing speed" bonus stage turned into something that needs to be one shotted (no matter how many lives you have) or it's game over 😆

41 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

Alien Breed 3D, (despite having pixels the size of a football field) has held up incredibly well. The gameplay, design, enemies and weapons are all sufficient but what really elevates it is those meaty sound effects. From the squeal and squelch to the blast of the shotgun, it's instant satisfaction every time you pull the trigger. :)

How well does it run on the Amiga Mini? Are we talking stock A1200, A1200 with loads of fast RAM, A4000, etc?

38 minutes ago, K said:

How well does it run on the Amiga Mini? Are we talking stock A1200, A1200 with loads of fast RAM, A4000, etc?

My memory of my experience with the original hardware is too hazy to honestly answer that.

It's certainly playable but with notable slowdown when the enemies get close. Many users do reccomend running it from WHLoad as that gives you access to the advanced options menu where you might be able to speed things up further, but technically I think I'd describe the stock version as adequate, nothing more.

12 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

My memory of my experience with the original hardware is too hazy to honestly answer that.

It's certainly playable but with notable slowdown when the enemies get close. Many users do reccomend running it from WHLoad as that gives you access to the advanced options menu where you might be able to speed things up further, but technically I think I'd describe the stock version as adequate, nothing more.

If it's playable, it's going to be running much better than it did on an A1200. I just had a look at the CD32 version (which will be roughly equivalent to an unexpanded A1200) to refresh my memory and the frame rate is incredibly low:

Alien Breed 3D shouldn't have been on this in my opinion - it's the only real game that is clearly exposing the Amiga's shortcomings at the time. It'd be like including the Amiga version of Street Fighter 2. 

30 minutes ago, K said:

If it's playable, it's going to be running much better than it did on an A1200. I just had a look at the CD32 version (which will be roughly equivalent to an unexpanded A1200) to refresh my memory and the frame rate is incredibly low:

Yeah, it's better than that for sure!

2 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Alien Breed 3D shouldn't have been on this in my opinion - it's the only real game that is clearly exposing the Amiga's shortcomings at the time. It'd be like including the Amiga version of Street Fighter 2. 

I do get that argument. A lot of what this thing shipped with will come down to what licenses they could get and it seems like Team 17 games were relatively easy to secure, as opposed to Psygnosis games such as Shadow Of The Beast, which is quintessential Amiga.

Gloom was a good bit snappier if memory serves.

2 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

Yeah, it's better than that for sure!

I do get that argument. A lot of what this thing shipped with will come down to what licenses they could get and it seems like Team 17 games were relatively easy to secure, as opposed to Psygnosis games such as Shadow Of The Beast, which is quintessential Amiga.

Gloom was a good bit snappier if memory serves.

Shadow of the Beast was  a pretty poor game - emphasis on pretty.

Yeah licensing definitely played it's part. I just think these Doom clones were a terrible attempt at trying to keep up with the PC. Playing to the Amiga's strength would have been better. The 2d Alien Breed games are still fine (if ludicrously hard).