Games you love that you know you'll never finish (or are any good at)

Gotters

15 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

I will buy Bayonetta 3 on day 1, but probably not finish it. I know this, because that's exactly what I did with Bayonetta 2. Twice, as it happens.

Yeah, Bayonetta is a good call; I 'finished' Bayo 1 but never to Pure Platinum, which is 'really' beating the game.

17 hours ago, MarkN said:

Ikarguga, Do Don Pachi ... There's a need to memorise enemy layouts

This is my jam! I love shooty games so much!

The games you've mentioned there are quite heavy on the old memorisation, particularly for scoring.

My memory is doggy plops tier so I much prefer games where you can theoretically get a blind clear on your first run so long as you've built up your shmup muscle in other games.

Of course playing a few times and knowing what's coming helps with anything, but maybe you're playing the wrong style of shmup?

You should play those bullet hell games where there are loads more bullets but they're slower. It's counter intuitive, you'd think more bullets would mean harder, but particularly on the lower difficulties, they're going slow enough that you have loads of time to react. If you're a ninja goldfish, you should be golden.

You're on PC, aren't you? Give Blue Wish Resurrection Plus a go. You should be fine on normal, but you can go down to easy if not. You should be able to stay alive for ages in that and have loads of fun and maybe get your first 1cc!

It's very generous with bombs and extra lives, and on the default settings, when you get hit you only lose a bomb instead of dying. You'd be surprised how quickly you start teaching yourself strategies and getting much better at these games.

Maybe you've been trying games you're not ready for yet. It can be a good way for many people to just jump in the deep end, but other people are better getting their tootsies wet first.

6 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

I'll never be great at Nex Machina in terms of chaining together enormous combos and what-not, but can't imagine not having a blast on it every once in a while. I really wish it had a random mode where enemy placement was stirred up, as I love the moment-to-moment action so much.

Yeah, Nex Machina is fab but it's one of those games that you have to keep playing. Once you've taken a little break, that's it, you get rusty, forget all the human/enemy placements and the little hidden secrets.

Really enjoyed my time with it, I got to the stage where I could chain the whole game but I'd get pasted by the tlb and that's enough for me.
I don't like practising, it feels too much like homework, so I'm not gonna practice the true last boss and it's too long a game to keep playing over and over.

Excellent game, the best twin stick shooter ever made, but like you say, a looser, procedurally generated roguelite mode where maybe the chaining was more lenient since you didn't know what was coming, or maybe with other scoring mechanics replacing it, would be perfect, I think I'd still be playing it right now!

3 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Fighting games.

Yeah, I was good at a couple in my youth but that's only because we'd play them loads. It takes me ages to learn the combos and stuff, I just have to keep playing and playing.

Playing online isn't really the same, either.

You need insane reactions too, either that or like goalies you've just got to dive in one direction when you see the ball coming and hope for the best.

Loved playing them when I did. I suppose never say never, but I don't think it's ever something I'd go back to.

It's a young man's game :blah:

8 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

This is my jam! I love shooty games so much!

The games you've mentioned there are quite heavy on the old memorisation, particularly for scoring.

My memory is doggy plops tier so I much prefer games where you can theoretically get a blind clear on your first run so long as you've built up your shmup muscle in other games.

Of course playing a few times and knowing what's coming helps with anything, but maybe you're playing the wrong style of shmup?

You should play those bullet hell games where there are loads more bullets but they're slower. It's counter intuitive, you'd think more bullets would mean harder, but particularly on the lower difficulties, they're going slow enough that you have loads of time to react. If you're a ninja goldfish, you should be golden.

You're on PC, aren't you? Give Blue Wish Resurrection Plus a go. You should be fine on normal, but you can go down to easy if not. You should be able to stay alive for ages in that and have loads of fun and maybe get your first 1cc!

It's very generous with bombs and extra lives, and on the default settings, when you get hit you only lose a bomb instead of dying. You'd be surprised how quickly you start teaching yourself strategies and getting much better at these games.

Maybe you've been trying games you're not ready for yet. It can be a good way for many people to just jump in the deep end, but other people are better getting their tootsies wet first.

I'll give Blue Wish Resurrection Plus a go (downloading now). Thanks for the recommendation. I would like to be good at these games, but it's not all that in the scheme of things. I'll still love them even if I carry on being rubbish at them. I'm sure there's a Terry Pratchett line about enjoying something you're absolutely rubbish at (playing an instrument IIRC). I play games for the sake of playing. Winning is an unexpected bonus.

Driving games.  Put 100s of hours into project cars 2 and about to start doing the same with ACC and AM2.

Got the VR.  Got the wheel.  Got the racing cockpit

Just one thing I've not got ...  any talent for driving games.  At the very best I am mediocre.

Still enjoy every minute of it.  My lack of actual skill doesn't detract from my enjoyment of it so at least that's something.

• 2 months later...
On 12/10/2020 at 23:46, Simbo said:

Driving games.  Put 100s of hours into project cars 2 and about to start doing the same with ACC and AM2.

Got the VR.  Got the wheel.  Got the racing cockpit

Just one thing I've not got ...  any talent for driving games.  At the very best I am mediocre.

Still enjoy every minute of it.  My lack of actual skill doesn't detract from my enjoyment of it so at least that's something.

As I read that post, I genuinely wondered if I’d written it and then somehow forgotten. Slow driver high-five!

Enter the Gungeon (although I did come close to finishing it a few times) 

Zombies Ate my Neighbours 

Jurassic Park (snes) - no save feature, damn you. Maybe some day I will play it again via emulation with save states. 

2 minutes ago, Ry said:

Enter the Gungeon (although I did come close to finishing it a few times) 

Zombies Ate my Neighbours 

Jurassic Park (snes) - no save feature, damn you. Maybe some day I will play it again via emulation with save states. 

I’ve finished both zombies and Jurassic park on the SNES. Great games, but finished when I was much younger and had a hell of a lot more free time than I do now! 

Any third person action combat game that requires timed dodges or parrying. If I can't safely retreat to distance using bows or guns, I'm screwed. Even playing on the easiest difficulty I'll still die incredibly often.

Trials and rocket league are interesting examples because 99% of players are shit, based on their own estimation and matchmaking/leaderboards. I have improved loads at trials over the last year but still get those moments where I think 'fuck this'. Currently that is the third ninja track. But I'll replay tracks that I remember feeling the same about a year ago and breeze through them fairly easily.