Millie and Molly - a game I coded, now on Steam

carleton

1 hour ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Ooh this is excellent. Nostalgic puzzling. Reminds me of Solomon’s Key II, Toki Tori, and (of a different caliber) Baba Is You. 😌 In the thirties now. 

Cheers. Baba is You was my 2019 GOTY. If you have any other recommendations of similar stuff on Switch please let me know.

On 04/02/2022 at 21:57, carleton said:

Let’s go with awesome. I expect you to have completed it by the end of the weekend.

Well, I’m stuck on 73 at the moment so although I’ve time, I’m struggling :)

Wow!

You are much smarter than me then as I am still in the 30's having hit a couple of tough ones. That said, I've not had much time this weekend but, still, I'd likely not be much further even if I had as I have found that I need a few hours away followed by a fresh approach usually helps..

I'll write more about the game another time, but it really is very good. If you like things like Solomon's Key, Pengo, Adventures of Lolo, Fire 'n' Ice (not the Titus one!) and Sokoban, then you really do need to get it. 

OK, more expanded thoughts!

I enjoyed it. It made me feel clever. From the replies here I'm thinking I found this a lot easier than most people, and I won't lie, I did find it pretty easy. I got stuck on only three levels (40-ish, 74-ish and 99, with 99 being seemingly impossible until I left one of the characters in a different place on one attempt and then I got it!). No, I'm not a genius, but as I said I'd played through Fire 'n' Ice not that long ago which is superficially similar, and I found that much, much harder, so maybe that's why. Also, 10 attempts on a level, in my eyes, isn't "hard". 50-odd (for level 99) is! :)

The puzzle designs are amazing. I'm always impressed with how anyone manages to create the puzzles at all, as it's surely harder than solving them. There are quite a few levels which seem very straightforward until right at the end when you're presented with a gotcha and realise you needed to do it a completely different way from the start - they really show off the skill of the level designer.

The graphics are simple, and animation minimal, but it's a retro styled game so that's fine. It's responsive, and it's clear what is "diggable", what enemies "float" and which "drop", so that's all that matters really. The music was good too, and fits the game well.

I only have two negatives - and they're both bugs. On completing level 99 (eventually) I got a black screen and had to close the game (luckily it had saved my progress). The other bug is that you can start playing the game before the Below the Tower and Thalamus splash screens have been shown. If you press A it'll start the game "behind" them!

In all, congrats to @carleton - it's a really enjoyable puzzle game. DLC when?

20 minutes ago, deKay said:

OK, more expanded thoughts!

I enjoyed it. It made me feel clever. From the replies here I'm thinking I found this a lot easier than most people, and I won't lie, I did find it pretty easy. I got stuck on only three levels (40-ish, 74-ish and 99, with 99 being seemingly impossible until I left one of the characters in a different place on one attempt and then I got it!). No, I'm not a genius, but as I said I'd played through Fire 'n' Ice not that long ago which is superficially similar, and I found that much, much harder, so maybe that's why. Also, 10 attempts on a level, in my eyes, isn't "hard". 50-odd (for level 99) is! :)

The puzzle designs are amazing. I'm always impressed with how anyone manages to create the puzzles at all, as it's surely harder than solving them. There are quite a few levels which seem very straightforward until right at the end when you're presented with a gotcha and realise you needed to do it a completely different way from the start - they really show off the skill of the level designer.

The graphics are simple, and animation minimal, but it's a retro styled game so that's fine. It's responsive, and it's clear what is "diggable", what enemies "float" and which "drop", so that's all that matters really. The music was good too, and fits the game well.

I only have two negatives - and they're both bugs. On completing level 99 (eventually) I got a black screen and had to close the game (luckily it had saved my progress). The other bug is that you can start playing the game before the Below the Tower and Thalamus splash screens have been shown. If you press A it'll start the game "behind" them!

In all, congrats to @carleton - it's a really enjoyable puzzle game. DLC when?

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Chun did the level designs and they're what makes it a good game. I too like the gotcha levels, I always think of the "clever girl" line from Jurassic Park when I fall for one. I don't think it's hard in a throw the joypad through the window way and judicious use of rewind can really help. We didn't want anybody taking half an hour to complete a level. That's just annoying.

I did keep the presentation simple as it was only an exercise in learning a bit of Unity between jobs. I had no money to fund my own expenses never mind pay an artist etc. for all the extra flourishes. I don't think I ever expected it to be published on Switch.

Regards the bugs. I've completed the game and it didn't freeze on me so that's a disappointment that it did for you. I can't think of a reason why it would, it could be something added to the base code with regards to file saving for Switch. I have noticed the starting the game behind the intro though. The new intro was added by the publisher and I assume they're running it as an extra scene whilst concurrently running the game itself. I'll pass it on and hopefully they can patch it.

If the game goes well I'd love to expand on it with DLC and more features. The C64 has a level editor and the physical copies have an extra ten levels.

7 minutes ago, deKay said:

Then why have you got level 99, Bart? Why have you got level 99?

Hah, everybody knows level 45 is the killer. There's even a T-shirt:

https://sevensqua.red/products/millie-mollie-retro-gaming-t-shirt?_pos=1&_sid=69f4e4084&_ss=r

I don't recall struggling too much on 99.

I'll check the level 99 thing here on a PC and see if there's something in the original code. Level 100 does unlock differently to every other level (i.e. you need to have completed the rest) so there could be some stupid bug there.

2 minutes ago, carleton said:

I don't recall struggling too much on 99.

It's all about where you leave one of the characters while you arrange everything on the right with the other. For some reason both characters had gotten involved on the right in every previous attempt. If I'd spotted that earlier, I'd have finished it sooner :)

I didn't have any problems with 45 though!

10 hours ago, nightwaxon said:

Been playing this tonight. Got to level 40. One or two tricky levels so far.  I've a feeling it's going to get more difficult from here.  Lovely little game. 

Thanks.

It definitely ramps up the difficulty. The early bits are tutorials which even have to spread out over the two player dynamic. Around where you are it's all about the puzzles though. 

9 hours ago, nightwaxon said:

Upto level 71 now. Nothing has completely stumped me so far. Some great puzzles and catchy music.  

Nice, that was how we hoped people would experience it. On the original Commodore 64 version you had to play every level in order. Some players complained of being completely stuck which is why I added the chapters to this version, to try and avoid that frustration.

• carleton changed the title to Millie and Molly - a game I coded, now on Steam