Content focused, or platform focused?

The less time I spend on the Internet, the less I struggle with these urges. The internet works dark magics of desire to make you want stuff you don't even actually want that much.

In normal times I’d agree with you completely. Thinking rationally, I don’t have much “pure me time” and gaming isn’t the only thing I spend that time doing, so in reality I don’t have much time to play games at all. And I already have lots of brilliant but unfinished (and in some cases barely started) games on the systems I already own. So I have absolutely no need of yet another box to give me access to hundreds more games I won’t have time to play either.

But these aren’t normal times, and this year I need some new shiny bubbles as much as the next man, so I’ve got a Series S preordered and three years Game Pass stacked up to guarantee I will never get close to finishing the pile of shame. And I’m really looking forward to it!

I suppose if you think long enough there is always niggling sensation that we don't NEED to buy anything really. I didn't need to upgrade my PC when I did but I bloody well did - my 10 second boot time laughs in the face of buyers remorse.

I have found myself less enthused about the new consoles as time drags on. The more I see of them and the games on the horizon I fail to see what the next generation truly offers on terms of new experiences. 

I'm sure at some point I'll plump for one of them but I can't be arsed with the hype at the moment and will happily wait to see if there is a real generation shift over the next year or so. 

Lately I've been able to resist getting new toys until the exclusives make it seem worthwhile. The new content justifies the purchase of new platforms... if it's good enough. Right now I have no interest in the new toys or their content - everything I'm currently interested in can be played on things I already own. :) 

I’m always content focused, I haven’t let launch day hype get the better of me since the original 3DS launch and the new machines won’t be any different. I buy hardware when there’s a game I have to have that I can’t play on anything I already own, and this generation Triple A games have completely stopped offering me anything I’m interested in. Looking at the Twitter trend over the last few days where people have been listing 4 10/10 games from this generation, I’m reminded that what I enjoy from games is pretty much completely absent from the major publisher’s schedules right now, and seeing lists of the most popular games from this generation baffles me. 

I honestly struggle to think of more than two games I’d consider that good from this gen, with everything else I enjoyed basically being fun but hugely flawed in some respect. So I think it’s likely that with a PC that can allow me to try indie games and play old stuff, tonnes of games still to play on my PS4 and Switch, and nothing that interests me announced or even close, I’ll probably be sitting next gen out longer than I ever have. Even my favourite franchises and developers don’t do much for me anymore, I struggle to find enthusiasm for Elder Scrolls since Fallout 4 was terrible, I don’t think I’d be bothered about a new GTA after hating Red Dead. It’s pretty much just Elden Ring and FFXVI I’m excited about and neither of them looks close, so I’ll be sticking with what I have for the time being, unless someone unexpectedly releases something that actually looks new and interesting. Everything I see at the moment just looks like stuff I’ve played before.

1 hour ago, alistarr said:

The less time I spend on the Internet, the less I struggle with these urges. The internet works dark magics of desire to make you want stuff you don't even actually want that much.

That's absolutely true... you're still on the internet though aren't you? 

Lots of responses here I can relate to, I guess there's a lot of similar threads running through. I seem to have redirected some of my 'tech urges' to build my soon-to-be 8y/o a new PC for his Birthday (he's already modding games, and wanted his very old single threaded games to run a little bit faster..), his new PC is far far far superior to mine, but I think watching him enjoy it will bring me far more joy than upgrading my own. I just hope his very old single threaded games run much faster so that he's happy with it, else I'll get a 'DADDY, this new PC is no good!! :angry::wacko:. I may test out some emulators on it when he's not looking.. 

Considering content the only new game I really really REALLY want to play is Half-Life: Alyx - I'm holding off for several reasons, I want a faster PC to really enjoy it, I want a really good VR headset, I do not believe setting it up will be anywhere near as smooth and painless as playing PS VR, I'll spend ages tinkeringing with it, I don't really have any VR legs, and I know my Half-life obsessed son would want to play what appears to be a quite scary game in VR (for which he is too young on both counts).. 

Argh.

10 hours ago, AlexM said:

That's absolutely true... you're still on the internet though aren't you? 

I actually pretty much wasn't for about two years, then I foolishly took a new job which requires me to use social media and am currently struggling to avoid that leaking into my personal life. Check my posting history from a couple of months ago, though.

As much as I miss people here when I'm not here (this is my favourite community on the internet and I'm sure you'll have fun here), I'll be gone again soon. I can live better without this thing which, as exciting as it was when it began, now exists to manufacture compulsions*, flatter moronic consumer behaviour**, and diminish the will.

*Check the weird, and weirdly justified, desire of the post immediately below my first one here (including user-generated advertising for good measure), which, unless Darren's account has been hijacked, I can assure you was written by an otherwise thoughtful and sensitive human being.

**Check the upvotes on the post immediately below my first one here.

Hey! I may be compulsive, and moronic, but... what was the other thing? :D 

It’s a good point though. I wouldn’t have ordered a completely frivolous and unnecessary new console if I hadn’t got swept up in the positivity on here about it. But like I said, in normal years even that wouldn’t have swayed me. I managed to avoid pre-ordering all previous iterations of Xboxes and Playstations despite following the ups and downs of their launches on here. But this year has been so unrelentingly bleak that any hint of positivity is like a siren’s call towards the rocks of mindless consumerism...

11 hours ago, Marlew said:

I've become far more interested in games in theory than in practice. I've got right back into audio gear and listening to music, cinema and started getting properly into photography. I find these vastly more appealing right now than playing almost anything, and yet I still find the medium and the discussions really engaging despite playing fuck all.

This is absolutely me.  After being stuck in work, jobs at home, more work at home, time with my family I then work out what to do and games is at the bottom of the list but I still can't get enough of reading about them, catching up with industry news, watching videos about them.  I actually think this may have always been me - my list of completed games in 30+ years of playing them is so slim yet I have spent so much time and so much money.  I shudder to think what my time/cost ratio is on games!

3 hours ago, alistarr said:

I actually pretty much wasn't for about two years, then I foolishly took a new job which requires me to use social media and am currently struggling to avoid that leaking into my personal life. Check my posting history from a couple of months ago, though.

As much as I miss people here when I'm not here (this is my favourite community on the internet and I'm sure you'll have fun here), I'll be gone again soon. I can live better without this thing which, as exciting as it was when it began, now exists to manufacture compulsions*, flatter moronic consumer behaviour**, and diminish the will.

*Check the weird, and weirdly justified, desire of the post immediately below my first one here (including user-generated advertising for good measure), which, unless Darren's account has been hijacked, I can assure you was written by an otherwise thoughtful and sensitive human being.

How have you managed to successfully untangle yourself from ‘browsing’ the internet and being consumed? I find it all too easy to get sucked in and often use it distract myself from other more productive and enjoyable uses of time. 

2 hours ago, Bangaio said:

This is absolutely me.  After being stuck in work, jobs at home, more work at home, time with my family I then work out what to do and games is at the bottom of the list but I still can't get enough of reading about them, catching up with industry news, watching videos about them.  I actually think this may have always been me - my list of completed games in 30+ years of playing them is so slim yet I have spent so much time and so much money.  I shudder to think what my time/cost ratio is on games!

I’d say this is one of my ‘problems’ as well. I recently purchased a monstrous 2TB SSD for my HTPC and installed many games that I’ve researched and purchased over time, how many have I played? 3. I’m still constantly following the industry news, reviews, buying a few titles in the sales, and looking at upgrades to run those games better..

15 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

I suppose if you think long enough there is always niggling sensation that we don't NEED to buy anything really. I didn't need to upgrade my PC when I did but I bloody well did - my 10 second boot time laughs in the face of buyers remorse.

I have found myself less enthused about the new consoles as time drags on. The more I see of them and the games on the horizon I fail to see what the next generation truly offers on terms of new experiences. 

I'm sure at some point I'll plump for one of them but I can't be arsed with the hype at the moment and will happily wait to see if there is a real generation shift over the next year or so. 

I'm in the same situation with respects to the new consoles.. in fact with the PC too.

I was going for a massive PC upgrade last week but in the end pulled the plug on it all. Decided that I don't actually need it. I'm actually quite happy with what I have it does what I need it to do. Sure things might not be as shiny as on a new £700 GPU but fundamentally the game I play is the same game. The same logic pretty much the same experience.

Once I start to see things that give me the wow factor and give me something that is genuinely a new thing then I will move things forward. The last thing that did this for me was VR and my system at the moments seems to be coping with everything with respect to that that I throw at it... I even played through the first couple of bits of Half Life Alyx and it was fine. Booted up Star Wars Squadrons quickly last Friday and it was AWESOME. VR has been the "next gen" tech for me of late. New consoles? Well essentially they are really the same as PC upgrades these days. Nothing radical. SSD sure its been around for years now great consoles now have the tech.

Be interesting to see what Sony now do with the PSVR going forward.

Fucking hell, @alistarr has just blown my mind with the concept of user-generated advertising.  It seems so obvious, I'm amazed I hadn't heard someone describe it that way before.  Is that your own observation or have you got any good anti-consumerist/capitalist reading recommends? :D

19 hours ago, AlexM said:

I'm a new user.. making a new thread.. :unsure: well nothing for it, here goes! 

I am the other side of the 30s, and I've recently let myself become caught up in the PS5/Xbox/3xxx hype. I went from excited teenager, to analytical young adult (I've written Pros / Cons, looked at the value of each option, considered second hand value against new purchaes..) to old man mode - I don't need these blasted things and I don't play many games. The amount of time I have spent doing this is quite frankly, ridiculous. 

I've got a PS4 w. VR & Wheel, a (low-mid range) gaming HTPC, a Switch, a Wii U.. I obsess about upgrading the PC to play (with) emulators so I can play games.. that I can play on systems I already own. :doh: I mostly play Racing games, I can play everything I want to play right now, but probably spend more of my limited 'play' time looking at new toys.. 

I'm trying to switch (no pun intended) my mind from 'platform focused' (new toys!!!) to 'content focused' (I can play every damn game I want to, right now, with what I have) - I have absolutely no need to buy new toys, and when I stop obsessing about buying things I get down to gaming and have a damn good time with it. 

Does anyone else have this problem, is there a club I should join, tokens I can earn (30 days no obsessing...), is it just me?

I'm 40 (for another 9 days at least) and barely play anything outside of football games. If I do, it's for a couple of hours before I get bored. I'm looking forward to CP2077 but that's it really.

I'm still getting a XSX though. The reason, or justification if you like, is that I still think games are decent value even for someone like me who maybe gets bored of them much quicker than he used to. I can wonder for ages if I should spend £12 on the latest PC indie darling that I probably won't like as much as the forum does before I realise that the reason I'm considering it at all is because it's Friday night and I don't really go down the pub much anymore, pandemic or no. That used to be £20 I'm not spending now so fuck it - if I never play that game again it's no different from those pints I won't be drinking again.

My recommendation would be to sell all the old shit you're realistically unlikely to go back to, get rid of the clutter, buy a XSX, stock up on Gamepass and dip into things as they come along - perhaps buying the odd gem that's not on the service but really appeals to you.

This is what I'll be doing, along with a football game. It's ideal for someone like me who's always curious about the latest stuff going on in gaming but in reality doesn't want to play it that much. With Gamepass I recently dipped into Gears 5, wandered around and saw how pretty it is before quickly tiring of the dull repetitive shooty gameplay. It's just not a game for me, but GP allowed me to satiate my curiosity. I view it as a sort of Friday night trip to the arcades or something. It cost me 'nothing' aside from the subscription, but that's a lot less than the £5-20 I'd spend on PC games when bored and comes with none of the weird obligation or guilt we gamers tend to feel about not finishing things.

7 hours ago, alistarr said:

7 hours ago, Darren said:

Hey! I may be compulsive, and moronic, but... what was the other thing? :D 

It’s a good point though. I wouldn’t have ordered a completely frivolous and unnecessary new console if I hadn’t got swept up in the positivity on here about it. But like I said, in normal years even that wouldn’t have swayed me. I managed to avoid pre-ordering all previous iterations of Xboxes and Playstations despite following the ups and downs of their launches on here. But this year has been so unrelentingly bleak that any hint of positivity is like a siren’s call towards the rocks of mindless consumerism...

These are both good posts and alistarr's point strikes at the very core of this forum. You could almost create a conspiracy theory about its mutual consumerist encouragement that's necessary to keep it going.

I've wondered many times how much money this place and the people on it have cost me over the years and it's thousands. Tens of thousands since 2003 and before that other places. I bought a fucking Panasonic Q FFS. That, and many things like it, are not things I would have done otherwise. 

Similarly, in other areas of life, I'd have probably been perfectly happy with my run of the mill version of whatever it might be until I spot a topic where someone asks for a recommendations of food blenders and suddenly I'm another £150 down and a Kenwood up.

I do go through phases of interest and will occasionally post a bit less or be less involved but even when it's not games I buy other stuff. I spent about £4K last year on musical instruments and equipment so I'm just a danger to myself. I could blame some of that on the guitar thread in off topic or the internet in general but my sister is a spender too. Always justifying things to herself, and she's not really on the internet much. It's just the way we are. I'm comparatively skint at the moment but money just comes and goes in my life, to try to hold onto it seems futile for me so why not just enjoy it when I can? If I don't spend it on this you can bet I'll spend it on that.

12 minutes ago, Pockets said:

My recommendation would be to sell all the old shit you're realistically unlikely to go back to, get rid of the clutter, buy a XSX, stock up on Gamepass and dip into things as they come along - perhaps buying the odd gem that's not on the service but really appeals to you.

Absolutely 100% agree. I have no physical games anymore. Just digital services, Steam, GamePass and Origin... Just been very selective. Quite like EA Play for £20 a year seems incredible value and there is a huge back catalogue of games on there I've never played before. 

8 hours ago, alistarr said:

Think the WWW is about exercising self control and filtering out all the crap. However agree it seems like a constant battle to do that these days. It's easier just to shut it off.

WWW content is always encouraging you to live in the future rather than the now. So you are always chasing the next big thing all the time... even if you try to exercise restraint - it's human nature I guess and the psychologists that work on the internet know this. Learning how we tick. How often have you bought something then immediately after you have bought said item another newer version is released at seemingly ever decreasing time intervals.

I am using the Vivaldi browser of late - which is awesome BTW - and has decent ad-blockers etc so I can filter a bit more. I am also being conscious about how much I use my phone and trying to use it as a tool when I need it than something that sucks all my time away. 

In the end time is the only currency you have a finite amount of and cannot be bought. Why I am using it carefully....or trying as best I can. :) So everything goes through a filter these days and I am more than happy to sack something if it is burning my time without giving me any value. 

On 05/10/2020 at 19:55, alistarr said:

So essentially FOMO at work? :D

It's difficult to resist, the only option to preserve your sanity is to avoid the temptation in the first place, but maybe that cure is worse than the problem for most people.