4ACE4D90-6D95-47F3-8F2C-7D8B521E4606.jpeg.989a998770bb58a3725d4a194d859fbc.jpeg

Is anyone else playing this?

Seems to have exploded on Twitch lately despite being launched a couple of years ago and is a really fun take on “Wink Murder” almost. I’ve been playing it free on iOS and even with randoms it’s been good fun, but it seems like playing with friends (and adding in voice comms over something like Discord) is where it really comes into its own.

I am absolutely the worst at being imposter and end up killing someone just as someone else comes round the corner.

• 3 weeks later...

My kids are obsessed and having played more than a few rounds with them yes it is pretty fun....

Mobile version is fine - been playing with the kids on ipads and me on Bluestacks on the laptop

Clearly to be played properly needs a group and voice comms - played with text just seems to basically boil down to one person typing another player is the imposter and everyone follows.  Watch the Eurogamer streams to see what its like with a proper group grilling each other.

We should totally get a game together

Yeah, my experience of Mafiascum tells me it could be pretty one sided. Thinking it could be fun for a laugh anyway, I expect it would be a few rounds before we start seeing some decent play anyway.

re: forum games, anyone else think Among Us is basically a more streamlined, less atmospheric and more lighthearted version of this?

It can be good with randoms. On mobile as well, it reduces down to the core nubs - I saw person venting/killing/hanging round by the body, person x isn't doing any jobs, I saw them complete a visible one etc. But obviously it depends on the randoms.

Played it on android for a bit and it was just shit with the random players. Its all text to chat as well which i think ruins a lot of the fun. 

Would like to try it with actual friends and decent people but thats never going to happen.

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

Do we have a group here who plays this (or wants to) regularly? Really want to give it a go at only £4, but watching twitch streamers play with random non talkers, it looks like a soulless experience.

You really need a group as it just doesn’t work over text.

I’d be in if we get a group together

I'm surprised for such a popular game we are not playing it more on rllmuk. I've played with the kids a few times on ipad & work have paid for us to have it on Steam for a proper session on Thursday.

I ended up playing this with a group mixed up of n00bs (this was me) and obsessives who were watching streams of the game of they weren't playing.

It was absolutely no fun at all.

The hardcore people would just pick apart every tiny thing you said, and it sort of became apparent that the best way to play was to just not speak at all, for fear of being thrown off the ship because you got the colour of a button wrong mid-grilling.

I think it's just the nature of these games.

I've played with friends a few times, using Discord for constant chatting. 

We like to throw accusations around a lot and make it, well, fun, but the few sitting absolutely silently seem to do disproportionately well. I just might not invite them next time. 

It really helps if you play with people of a similar experience level to you. Me and my friends have had some hilarious games. The mind games when you get down to the final 3 are brilliant to witness as dead crewmates. 

8 hours ago, schmojo said:

I've played with friends a few times, using Discord for constant chatting. 

We like to throw accusations around a lot and make it, well, fun, but the few sitting absolutely silently seem to do disproportionately well. I just might not invite them next time. 

It’s a problem with mafiascum as well.

Lynch the silent ones if you don’t have anything to go on.

Then start lynching the ones who are just noisy enough not to be silent.

Then lynch the noisy ones because they’re bound to be lying.

then lynch the ones who are trying to railroad you into a lynch.

then if there’s anyone left, lynch them.