Next-Gen Headsets

6 hours ago, dogsout said:

Finally picked up a Series X. I'm after a wireless headset and I'm a bit lost. Wired isn't an option due to the distance I sit from the TV and young kids that love running about between where I'm sat and the TV unit. I've always just used a cheap headset with a 3.5mm but I mainly play shooters and I'm sick of not being able to hear my opponents' footsteps clearly. 

Anyone care to make a recommendation? I've been looking at the Arctis 7x and Hyperx Flight. And a bunch of others but I've had enough of looking about and reading conflicting information so I'm hoping you guys can just put me out of my misery.

business_jet_dassault_falcon_7x_01.jpg

7x are probably the best headphones I've ever owned of any type. They're really comfy, sound is especially great when paired with atmos on series x. Battery life is great. 

I do advise tweaking the eq settings (you have to do this on a pc, but it saves it to the firmware I guess and so it applies for every format), 9ut of the box it's maybe a little too flat/neutral for my taste. 

In case you want another option or can’t get hold of the 7x, I’d recommend the Razer Kaira Pro. It pairs with the Series X/S with no need for any dongle (pairs the same way as a controller), which I quite like (mostly because I have an S and an X and this makes it easy to switch between the two). Sound quality and comfort are too notch.

Can also pair via Bluetooth at the same time as being connected to the Xbox, so you can chat to someone on the phone with it whilst playing. Admittedly I’ve never done this, but thought it sounded like a nice addition. 

3 hours ago, deerokus said:

7x are probably the best headphones I've ever owned of any type. They're really comfy, sound is especially great when paired with atmos on series x. Battery life is great. 

I do advise tweaking the eq settings (you have to do this on a pc, but it saves it to the firmware I guess and so it applies for every format), 9ut of the box it's maybe a little too flat/neutral for my taste. 

Should I do that even if I'm going to be using them with the Dolby / DTS app on the Xbox?

What do you recommend?

2 hours ago, Simmy said:

Should I do that even if I'm going to be using them with the Dolby / DTS app on the Xbox?

What do you recommend?

I mean I use DTS on Xbox and I’ve never adjusted my eq settings as I’ve never gotten round to it and I still think they sound amazing so make of that what you will. It’s not essential to do out the box IMO but good to have a go at I think. 

I still love mine. The medium on them sound amazing. 

14 hours ago, Simmy said:

What do you recommend?

Honestly I'm not sure, the dolby atmos definitely sounds great with them regardless.

I put mine in the 'immersive' preset fwiw. It's not a massive adjustment but makes it a bit livelier. I use mine on ps4, switch lite and even zoom/Ms teams calls on an android tablet, brilliant purchase in that respect, haha. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve recently picked up the turtle beach stealth 700 Xbox edition really nice headset except for the fact the mic is far to sensitive. It picks up every little thing in the room, I was using the wired razor kraken mercury and the mic sensitivity was spot on..

I have turned on the noise gate and updated to the latest firmware on the TB’s, would a mic cover help with background noise..

It may do, it probably will more help with softening the pops on certain words than muffle background noise. 

Can you increase the noise gate? You’ll still have an issue when you talk of background coming through I think but at least it won’t be constant. 

Yeah unfortunately on the app it's just on/off for the noise gate, I'll try the mic cover if that doesn't work I'll send them back and have a look at the razer's instead as I know the mics decent even at the cheaper end...

On 25/01/2021 at 07:30, bridger said:

Quick notification that the SteelSeries Arctis 7X headsets are back in stock with SteelSeries if anyone is after a pair.

So, I ordered some 7x from the website, and they have been stuck in Stanford Le Hope since the 3rd. The UPS website says "The package is delayed due to a Brexit related disruption. We are adjusting delivery plans as quickly as possible." :seanr:

Beware of Steel Series customer service. I have been through hell since early December and whilst I now have my headset, it’s still not over yet as I’ve been waiting nearly 2 weeks for acknowledgement of my refund of UK import tax request that I was promised.

oh, this bodes well. I have a set that are due to be delivered 'by end of day' today but according to the UPS tracking they only left Germany around lunchtime today. It spent a while there due to "Recent weather has caused delivery delays. Recovery efforts are under way to deliver your package as soon as possible." which is reasonable enough given the snows, but am I also going to have hassles with Brexit and import taxes when it finally makes it to the UK?

Oh, it has made it to Stanford Le Hope today. 

My pair of 7X that I ordered a couple weeks ago came today with no import charge. Had all the delays with bad weather last week and Brexit-related hold ups, but no extra fees to get my mitts on them.

Anyway, I'm well impressed. Had a faff on Control and they sound great, and even listening to music on my phone they're wicked. I've never really bothered with proper gaming headphones but they've become more necessary with us living on top of each other a lot more these days. I got the Dolby Atmos licence after deciding it sounded better than the DTS equivalent. Any other bits or preferences I should sort out, like the EQ or similar?

Also, I find retractable the microphone really disturbing for some reason. Just creeps me out.

23 minutes ago, djbhammer said:

That's a really nice looking headset, about time Microsoft did an official wireless one.  Not long had the T Beach 600 Gen 2 which have been awesome so I'll just crack on with those for now.

Let's hope it works flawlessly. Most Xbox licensed wireless headsets have a plethora of problems with connection and quality of audio. 

1 hour ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Let's hope it works flawlessly. Most Xbox licensed wireless headsets have a plethora of problems with connection and quality of audio. 

Despite recently buying the Audeze Penrose headset for my Series X, I fancied trying these and almost pre-ordered. But then I remembered the issues some of us are having with controllers disconnecting etc so I'll sit and see how they fare before buying a pair.

On 15/02/2021 at 16:50, Marvin Morris said:

You might get an update from UPS on Twitter for your parcel. They were quick at responding to me. 

3 hours ago, hereticboy said:

My pair of 7X that I ordered a couple weeks ago came today with no import charge. Had all the delays with bad weather last week and Brexit-related hold ups, but no extra fees to get my mitts on them.

They suddenly turned up! :D

giphy.gif

34 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

I love how it offers in build system level game equalizer, bass boost and mic sensitivity options, which you can't adjust with any other third party headset. :seanr:

Have they sold out (been scalped) already? I can't seem to find them anywhere other than the official MS store but they're out of stock there.

Looks like they've gone already, there was a link to preorder on the Microsoft website before that isn't there anymore. 

I stuck a preorder in, not because I really need them but because I had £75 worth of MS reward points burning a hole in my pocket so it's only a £20 outlay on my end. I was saving it up for the 1TB expansion card but I don't really need that either and this is a bit more interesting. 

14 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Is it too optimistic - since it's Bluetooth - to hope that they'll work on my PS5 also? 

Regardless, ordered

You can never be 100% certain with these things without owning both (I don't have a PS5), but according to the internet - Bluetooth Headphones don't connect directly to the console, but what you can do is buy a Bluetooth adapter with a sync button, plug it into the PS5, and then sync the adapter to the headset and it'll work like that.

7 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Xbox doesn't use Bluetooth for headsets. 

You don't want that anyway, the latency can be dire. 

Yeah - If you want to use it on PC, you might be better off with the X-Box One Wireless Adapter that you'd use normally for the older Bone pads that don't come with Bluetooth, as it should have less latency. As per the blurb on Amazon's page:

Windows 10: Requires Bluetooth 4.2+, Xbox Wireless adapter, compatible USB-C cable, or 3.5mm audio cable. Each sold separately. 

Obv, hooking up the X-Box Wireless Adapter to a PS5 is a little too hopeful, so Bluetooth or 3.5mm Aux into the pad it is for Sony Consoles.