Jump to content

PlayStation Plus October 2020 - Need for Speed: Payback and Vampyr


Recommended Posts

Just now, Parappa said:

This month's is Hollow Knight, shadow of thingy and Bugsnax for ps5! 

Hollow Knight is the best free game PSPlus has ever given away. I'm not even joking. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Yeah I was reading your posts in the Heat thread. It's only £3.19 at the moment :D 

 

It's definitely worth a try for £3

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished NFS: Payback with 37 hours on the clock. The plot is terrible but at least it holds everything together and adds structure to what would otherwise be a collection of fun races.

 

I think it's been dismissed too readily because of the naff characters and story but the racing and secondary tasks and collectables I've found to be very moorish. Particularly loved the drift events, offroading, finding all the secret parts to rebuild derelict cars and leaping off hidden ramps through billboards.

 

It was never going to enter anyone's top ten but it was a lovely surprise.

 

Now for Vampyr...

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Finished NFS: Payback with 37 hours on the clock. The plot is terrible but at least it holds everything together and adds structure to what would otherwise be a collection of fun races.

 

I think it's been dismissed too readily because of the naff characters and story but the racing and secondary tasks and collectables I've found to be very moorish. Particularly loved the drift events, offroading, finding all the secret parts to rebuild derelict cars and leaping off hidden ramps through billboards.

 

It was never going to enter anyone's top ten but it was a lovely surprise.

 

Now for Vampyr...

 

It’s plagued by an awful micro transaction driven upgrade system. Which is a shame because it’s essentially Need for Speed x Forza Horizon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gossi the dog said:

 

It’s plagued by an awful micro transaction driven upgrade system. Which is a shame because it’s essentially Need for Speed x Forza Horizon. 


I’ve only got a small selection of six vehicles and have managed to upgrade them to the max pretty easily just by playing the game with occasional visits to the tuning shop.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

They almost completely patched out the microtransactions (for upgrade parts anyway, you can still buy cosmetic stuff). I can’t remember if you can even buy car parts with real money any more, but even if you can, you don’t need to. 
 

The upgrade system is rubbish, and definitely one of the weaker points of the game, but with this and Battlefront II, EA saw which way the wind was blowing pretty quickly, and got rid of the actual cash element. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gospvg said:


I’ve only got a small selection of six vehicles and have managed to upgrade them to the max pretty easily just by playing the game with occasional visits to the tuning shop.

 

 

 

Maybe they patched it out. I played it at release and at certain progress points you received upgrade cards which allowed you to tune a certain part of your car (a better engine, exhaust etc) which were selected at random. It was designed to encourage you to spend real money on buying random cards in the hope of getting a half decent upgrade so you could be competitive. I ended up simply dropping the difficulty to Easy which compensated for having pathetic upgrades.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah the microtransaction element seems to have been dropped. I ended up finishing the game on medium difficulty and not once having to grind anything, thankfully. That would have been a pain. I also finished the game with over $1,000,000 in the bank so I bought the most expensive car just to mop up a few speed runs.

 

So what's left is the carcass of that system where you just click on Equip until each car is maxed out. I only played the tombola thing to see what it did but didn't need it.

 

If I'd had to grind those cards I'm sure I would have given up early too. Let's hope this kind of thing is phased out of game design going forward.

 

(I doubt Ubisoft is listening).

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Fuckit, I'm going to Platinum this bastard!!!

 

What do you have left to unlock?

The 3 Star rating in all activities is the time killer, good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Enjoying NFS: Payback, or at least I was until I reached the Drag Race mission, Razor’s Edge. What fuckknuckle thought a twisting, undulating race in cars set for drag racing, with their turning circles of ocean liners, would be a good idea?

 

Such a dumb bit of design, especially because the majority of the other drag races are quite good fun as a diversion. With a lack of desire to play much else at the minute I’ll grind out some of the other challenges and try to get the hang of drifting.

 

On 01/11/2020 at 19:26, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Remember and open the Shipments you earn by doing activities, they have money and cards for the puggie thing. It’s in the pause menu

 

i didn’t notice until now and had like 70 of them sitting, something like a million bucks and 400 spins :lol:

 

Totally missed these until the other day. Had about 30 to open and made around $700k in coins and through selling a lot of the vanity items. Was wondering what the parts currency thing was all about :facepalm:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, glb said:

Enjoying NFS: Payback, or at least I was until I reached the Drag Race mission, Razor’s Edge. What fuckknuckle thought a twisting, undulating race in cars set for drag racing, with their turning circles of ocean liners, would be a good idea?

 

Such a dumb bit of design, especially because the majority of the other drag races are quite good fun as a diversion. With a lack of desire to play much else at the minute I’ll grind out some of the other challenges and try to get the hang of drifting.

 

Oh God, I remember that race with the same level of ire. I did it in the end after suping up the car well beyond the level of the mission but it was a pig.

 

I read online that a way to beat it is to choose the car wisely. There are certain cars that you can put into drag events that have front wheel drive. This means they don't wheelie so they handle better. But it can be won regardless by nitro-ing a LOT.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Oh God, I remember that race with the same level of ire. I did it in the end after suping up the car well beyond the level of the mission but it was a pig.

 

I read online that a way to beat it is to choose the car wisely. There are certain cars that you can put into drag events that have front wheel drive. This means they don't wheelie so they handle better. But it can be won regardless by nitro-ing a LOT.

 

Good tips, I'll have another go later. One race I was about five seconds behind the leader in my souped up NSX so I'll get there eventually with a few more trading cards. It's a funny little game. Lots to enjoy but some weird decisions trip it up sometimes.

 

11 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Done all the activities now (a couple of the speed runs were a bastard). Just the chips to collect but harsh collision detection and hard to judge jumps makes it no fun. No platinum for me :( 

 

Was going to attempt the same but, should I finish Razor's Edge and the rest of the main game, think I'll move on. Got a derelict part yesterday that involved a lot of faffing. Turns out there was a poker chip in the same area but couldn't get close to it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm near the end I have the last drag race championship & off-road leagues to complete. Need to finish it this weekend because from next Thursday hopefully I will be on the PS5 (if it gets delivered) & Ghosts of Tshushima.

 

1 minute ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 

 

see what I mean about the collision detection being surprisingly harsh. In a Nintendo game the hitbox on those fuckers would be massive

 

(I did that one on something like the 3rd attempt)

 

3rd! Git! I got all the billboards but have given up on the collecting of the chips & 3-star the challenges. I agree it's been a good game much better than I expected and has scratched that racing game itch I had for a while.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It took me a few attempts at Razor's Edge & I managed to hit every corner like a pinball & got lucky thanks to the stupid AI to finish first. I used handbrake where possible to drift.

 

 

 

Will finish the game off tomorrow with Outlaw Rush.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/11/2020 at 15:55, gospvg said:

It took me a few attempts at Razor's Edge & I managed to hit every corner like a pinball & got lucky thanks to the stupid AI to finish first. I used handbrake where possible to drift.

 

 

 

Will finish the game off tomorrow with Outlaw Rush.


Managed to finish Razor’s Edge before my PS4 died. Spammed the nitro with a 399-rated NSX off every barrier.

 

Car looked like it had been washed by Edward Scissorhands by the finish line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, glb said:


Managed to finish Razor’s Edge before my PS4 died. Spammed the nitro with a 399-rated NSX off every barrier.

 

Car looked like it had been washed by Edward Scissorhands by the finish line.

Watching that I'm having PTSD flashbacks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, glb said:


Managed to finish Razor’s Edge before my PS4 died. Spammed the nitro with a 399-rated NSX off every barrier.

 

Car looked like it had been washed by Edward Scissorhands by the finish line.


PS4 died?

 

7 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

6N6xglM_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f
 

GOTY


Woohoo! Well Done.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, gospvg said:


PS4 died?


Yeah, had the blue light of death (details in the PS4 thread)

 

However, after completely unplugging it for 24 hours, it’s working normally again. For now. Hopefully.

 

Can’t trade in at the minute so think I’ll go back to ticking off a few challenges per session. There’s a speed trap one on a flyover bend that I can’t get yet. Only 150mph but the bloody traffic keeps getting in the way.

 

23 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

6N6xglM_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f
 

GOTY

 

How many hours? Asking for a friend...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.