PlayStation Plus October 2020 - Need for Speed: Payback and Vampyr

6 minutes ago, df0 said:

Jaysus the state of this thread. Can't we go back to bashing Payback :quote:

I got to admit I was one of the first to go WTF is this month's offering but NFS Payback is actually not bad. Guess I will need to go and try Vampyr next.

3 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

didn't get around to starting it yet, been trying to beat some drift records

I love the details in world, dust getting blown about, tumbleweeds, loads of birds and planes in the sky

I started on hard. My first drift event, 80,000 points required. Kept getting mid fifties, so dropped it to easy: 17,000 required. Got mid 50 anyway.

then I discovered the photo mode

I’d say it looks as good as what little of forza 7 I’ve played

Shock. The first couple of hours of Payback is cringey and pedestrian but now things have opened up I'm having a lot of fun. I particularly like breaking through the billboards and finding the derelict cars/parts. Not sure if this will sustain my interest but, yeah, fun.

Are these features original or did EA steal them from somewhere else?

10 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Shock. The first couple of hours of Payback is cringey and pedestrian but now things have opened up I'm having a lot of fun. I particularly like breaking through the billboards and finding the derelict cars/parts. Not sure if this will sustain my interest but, yeah, fun.

Are these features original or did EA steal them from somewhere else?

image.jpeg.5c2b2a824aac2ee5dea993f70a3e78a5.jpeg

2 hours ago, SeanR said:

image.jpeg.5c2b2a824aac2ee5dea993f70a3e78a5.jpeg

I can see why. The last Forza I played was on the original Xbox but my son reliably informs me that billboards are in Horizon? What about the derelict cars though? They've essentially stolen the treasure maps from Red Dead Redemption. They're both features I'm enjoying. More so than the racing which is vanilla at best.

Played a few more hours last night. The 'plot' and characterisation is like something you'd find in the U-bend under the sink.

Having not played a Forza Horizon game I imagine this must seem shonky by comparison but I'm enjoying it nevertheless.

Yeah, think so: I seem to recall that one reason to be out in a sandstorm was that you'd pick up more parts that way.

But I've forgotten most of the details. Must give it another spin; great game.

Now that's a game I'd love to see remastered. Increase the diversity of the bosses and you're golden.

Cracking game, rarely seen such misery in one game.

4 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

I can see why. The last Forza I played was on the original Xbox but my son reliably informs me that billboards are in Horizon? What about the derelict cars though? They've essentially stolen the treasure maps from Red Dead Redemption. They're both features I'm enjoying. More so than the racing which is vanilla at best.

Played a few more hours last night. The 'plot' and characterisation is like something you'd find in the U-bend under the sink.

Having not played a Forza Horizon game I imagine this must seem shonky by comparison but I'm enjoying it nevertheless.

Just to be fair to you, yes everything they didn't steal from older games, they stole from Forza Horizon which has both the treasure maps and the cars.

7 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

What a pain it is to enjoy a game. Whatever the origins they're great features. Thanks @Dudley @Mr Combo Breaker. Can't wait to play Forza now. Might even take Burnout Paradise for a spin.

Yeah if I had a point it's, consider playing Forza Horizon 3 or 4 when you have the hardware to do so :)

Read the thread.

Put on Payback.

It’s quite good!

I’ve not played too many driving games (Burnout Paradise is my favourite), but Payback is at least pretty entertaining even if it is derivative. The arcade driving feels good and has some fun races. Not sure how long I’ll keep playing it, but for a chilled experience while watching films on my iPad, it’s doing something right.

17 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

We've gone on quite a journey with NFS Payback. At this rate, it's going to get forum GOTY!

There's a parallel here.  No promo but my youtube stuff involves going back to an old magazine and playing the best and worst rated game from that issue.

And if there's one thing I've discovered, sometimes a game is actually a good laugh when you didn't spend £50 to play it.  Like you can spend an hour or two on it, have a great time and move on with your life even if it got savaged at the time because there's no loss.

And I think Game Pass/PS Plus/Games with Gold etc etc produces the same.  If you paid £59.99 for Payback expecting Forza Horizon or even a top notch NFS you'd be pissed off.  But for the cost of a download to pass the time between finishing a Yakuza and the release of Watch Dogs Legion or whatever? Excellent.

4 minutes ago, Dudley said:

And I think Game Pass/PS Plus/Games with Gold etc etc produces the same.  If you paid £59.99 for Payback expecting Forza Horizon or even a top notch NFS you'd be pissed off.  But for the cost of a download to pass the time between finishing a Yakuza and the release of Watch Dogs Legion or whatever? Excellent.

Could be something to that. I've also noticed the reverse happen, where even the highest regarded games get shit on when people play it through PS Plus as people for who it just isn't their thing (and never would have bought it in a million years) download and try it. IIRC Bloodborne got a lot of "People said this was good?!" type criticism. Everybody's Gone to The Rapture, beloved in its niche, got slaughtered.

2 minutes ago, gospvg said:

No Bloodborne was just too bloody hard!

Give me my easy mode, I don't have the time or energy to Get Gud!

There'll be many reasons people won't gel with a game, sure, Bloodborne was just my first thought for an example. But it's a real surprise to go from the universal praise of a game's OT to the lukewarm or negative reactions of 'gen pop' in the Plus thread.

On 22/10/2020 at 10:24, SozzlyJoe said:

Could be something to that. I've also noticed the reverse happen, where even the highest regarded games get shit on when people play it through PS Plus as people for who it just isn't their thing (and never would have bought it in a million years) download and try it. IIRC Bloodborne got a lot of "People said this was good?!" type criticism. Everybody's Gone to The Rapture, beloved in its niche, got slaughtered.

Just a theory but maybe there is something in that because they didn't pay for it, it could be an indicator they weren't really that bothered about them in the first place (e.g. not their cup of tea) but then dived in later on PS Plus for free because of the hype and then qualified it wasn't their cup of tea?

Weird though, those two examples you have given are two of my favourite games of this generation.

The Payback DLC was okay, basically it's 16 new events that you compete in using a Mini Clubman (what a fucking awful car) that gets automatically upgraded as you go through them. Then once you've done them all you can buy a few more cars, none of which are particularly cool. The events are basically drifty score attacks with wackier ramps and stuff than the main game. 5/10

I'm about finished after 55 hours. Done the main campaign, done all the roaming racers, and at least 1 star'd all the activities on the map. Tried online and it was shite. 

this cheevo made me laugh, shameless

The Strategist
Grind a previously won narrative event for Speed Cards

I might get NFS Heat :blink:

If you enjoyed Payback, I would recommend checking out Need for Speed 2015 over NFS: Heat. It has its problems - the default handling settings are very odd - but I thought it was an incredibly atmospheric and very satisfying racer.