PlayStation Plus October 2020 - Need for Speed: Payback and Vampyr

Do I sense some sarcasm there :hmm:

It's not a mega faff, but I'm too stubborn to give in and make a new account. I like all things neatly on one account.

And no, I did not know PSNow sub cards were a thing. I only know PS+, Game and Wallet ones.

edit: seems PSNow cards is not a thing in The Netherlands. Because of course :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, df0 said:

Do I sense some sarcasm there :hmm:

It's not a mega faff, but I'm too stubborn to give in and make a new account. I like all things neatly on one account.

And no, I did not know PSNow sub cards were a thing. I only know PS+, Game and Wallet ones.

LOL, no, being totally sincere. Having to make a new account would be bullshit - I got burnt there before as I lost my US account password and it is impossible for me to recover (lost a game or two). Hope the cards can work for you!

So, Payback.

"Let's do this jump bruh. Who's the best bro. Wooo. See you at the finish line! We live at one hundred miles per hour."

This made me turn off the voices which was nice for a brief moment. Until the first proper race, there's 6 of us on a city track. I race, the race gets interrupted by a jump cutscene (lol) and the race is no longer a race but a police chase? I've no clue what's going on, what to do or where to go. There's a timer on screen and a blue arrow pointing to some destination.

So the annoying voices have to be tuned on if I want to understand what's going on during a race? How about you treat a race like a race, with cars instead of childish edgy personalities of cardboard characters.

:facepalm:

Uninstalled.

My favourite type of games are racing and the last few NFS I played (Most Wanted and Rivals) I really enjoyed despite mixed critical receptions. I was excited to try Payback based on this but it is fucking awful, just an incredibly embarrassing game.

So I gave it another shot yesterday evening. Where to begin :facepalm: Oh, this is all part of Chapter 0 which is the tutorial so I don't worry about spoilers.

Important to note: I turned on the voices.

So, the race that turns into a police chase is a heist. We - me and my two buddies - are stealing a very fast car for whatever reason. The police chase is nothing but a simple go-there with mandatory checkpoints. It's dull and frustrating at the same time, the challenge lies in not missing the checkpoints which makes for a very unfocussed chase. So you want me to escape the police but I have to do it following a specific path? Fine, whatever.

During the chase the character you control - which changes between the three whenever the game feels like it - does not shut up. It's embarrassing twentysomething dialogue that is unfamiliar with context. I'm racing, trading paint with walls, crashing into police cars and the voice lines never change emotion, remaining this bored "this is cool bro" and "I need some help, where are you" tone. I let out a loud guffaw when the character literally said "come at me brah" to the police.

Another thing that lacks emotion is the actual driving and physics. Everything about it feels unnatural which is the only way I can describe it. It's lightweight tank-controls if that makes sense.

Anyway, cutscene happens. I skip it because whatever.

*6 months later*

Protagonist is in a different country working a shitty job. No more racing for him, his employer will fire him when they catch him racing. Task of the day: drive this Aston Martin DB11 to a certain destination. No more racing, remember. Protagonist even says this to his buddy over the phone. "I can't race anymore brah, they'll fire me brah". Which results in him racing over public roads. Because it's a racing game. So why state multiple times that he can't race? The story needs to happen, that's why. Does not matter if it does not makes sense, the protagonist said the line so later in the game there'll be some drama where he saves the day by going against his employer's wishes.

Payback is the prime example of a conference table of boomers in suits smashing together a game for millennials without being familiar with the details. It's like an amateur movie maker seeing Aliens and think "If I have red lights in my movie it'll be as good Aliens" failing to understand context and vision.

What a complete mess of a game. Avoid/10

From this video review that @gospvg posted, i've hopefully linked to the card based upgrade system bit:

WHY? Why would they put this in a driving game? I could maybe understand if it was optional, but you have to use this randomised, arcane system of RPG leveling for cars to actually progress in the game? This kind of thing drives me crazy. 

Greed. Boardmeeting: 'what element can we introduce to encourage micro transactions?'

That it forces grind on you to open up basic game components is despicable. I hope it backfired on EA's balance sheet.

Ugh, the sad thing is there's a perfectly reasonable little Forza and Furious there, probably much better than SMS' attempt at that concept.

But that card thing murders it dead for me.

On 07/10/2020 at 10:13, SozzlyJoe said:

Vampyr is actually really good! Still, all you people subbing to PS+ for the free games need to know that PS Now is where it's at for that - Days Gone this month!

Yeah, Vampyr is one of those slightly janky games with big ambitions, that turns out to be great if it clicks with you.

I liked it; well worth the cost of a free download and giving it some of your time.

oh of course, NFS Payback...

the one I bought from the US Store for $5, on the 15th of September, OBVIOUSLY!

reckon I can get a refund for it, as I've not played it?

On 07/10/2020 at 14:10, df0 said:

So, Payback.

"Let's do this jump bruh. Who's the best bro. Wooo. See you at the finish line! We live at one hundred miles per hour."

This made me turn off the voices which was nice for a brief moment. Until the first proper race, there's 6 of us on a city track. I race, the race gets interrupted by a jump cutscene (lol) and the race is no longer a race but a police chase? I've no clue what's going on, what to do or where to go. There's a timer on screen and a blue arrow pointing to some destination.

So the annoying voices have to be tuned on if I want to understand what's going on during a race? How about you treat a race like a race, with cars instead of childish edgy personalities of cardboard characters.

:facepalm:

Uninstalled.

You played it longer than I did. I got to the garage where you meet the guy from This Life (Ramon Tikram) and couldn't take the low-budget Fast & Furious forced family flannel the game was chucking about.

I'm still quite enjoying NFS after putting it on Easy. The story, presentation, music, voice acting (there's a latino woman who rivals Bolo Santosi for most vaguely offensive accent) etc are garbage but I like bombing around the world in a a Golf GTI :lol: 

5 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

I'm still quite enjoying NFS after putting it on Easy. The story, presentation, music, voice acting (there's a latino woman who rivals Bolo Santosi for most vaguely offensive accent) etc are garbage but I like bombing around the world in a a Golf GTI :lol: 

How easy is it to get 92K Credits?

NISSAN Skyline GT-R V-spec 1999 92850 Credits

16 hours ago, p1nseeker said:

Aside for the cringe story bits I quite enjoyed the racing when I played it on EA access. It was the card upgrade system that ultimately killed it though

I played a bit this morning, made it to the airport where my daughter then took over and preceeded to jump for big air on the ramps. The gameplay is actually not bad, I've only got 2 cars at the moment went for the Honda S2000 & Imprezza. Agree the story bits are really bad.

21 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

not very hard if you follow the various questlines

It's weird that all the 'hot' street cars are pretty much the same now as they were when Gran Turismo 1 came out. Except for maybe the Nissan 350z but that's for twats anyway.

It's difficult to remember now but GT1 doesn't actually have the R34 Skyline.

Because it didn't exist yet.

I think payback is like a version of the sort of game 505 or THQ would put out after playing Burnout Paradise, and Midnight Club, and thinking “we should do something like that”. It’s a budget Forza Horizon / The Crew.

I mean, it’s pure NFS, all the parts are there, but it just lacks something. Polish maybe. It also underlines just how shit NFS Rivals actually is, and good the second Most Wanted game is.

i own the US and PAL releases now.

1 hour ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Anyway I kinda love NFS Payback. Finished the main story, paid real money for the DLC :lol: 

Agree, I’m enjoying it. On chapter 2 at the moment and enjoying the racing. Yes the dialogue and cut scenes are really bad but where it matters most in the driving it is actually good fun.

Thoughts on the dlc?

I would very surprised if you get to the end of this game and want to pay money to keep going. I did enjoy it a fair bit - the driving model is actually not bad - but it doesn’t exactly leave you clamouring for more. 

7 hours ago, K said:

I would very surprised if you get the end of this game and want to pay money to keep going. I did enjoy it a fair bit - the driving model is actually not bad - but it doesn’t exactly leave you clamouring for more. 

It says Speedcross story which I don’t care about but looking at some quick gameplay it is challenge events where you have to drift, speed, jump and smash on the course to meet a points target. You get some cars also but I’m not interested in those will be unlocking the two I want in the Type R Civic & Skyline 99 once I complete chapter 2.

11 hours ago, SeanR said:

I think payback is like a version of the sort of game 505 or THQ would put out after playing Burnout Paradise, and Midnight Club, and thinking “we should do something like that”. It’s a budget Forza Horizon / The Crew.

Oh dear god now you're selling it to me.