Time Travel / Time Loop Movies and TV

Obscure one: there was a BBC Play for Today called 'The Flipside of Dominic Hide'. Must be late 70s or early 80s.

Story is that Dominic Hide is an observer from the future; he's forbidden from interacting with the present, but decides to search for his great-great-grandfather...

Hasn't aged well, but an interesting curio. I loved it when I watched on first broadcast, but we were a bit starved of this kind of stuff on TV back then.

On 30/09/2020 at 22:09, James Lyon said:

That episode of Murder Most Horrid with the time travel:

I've been going through Murder Most Horrid and this is a stand-out episode. 

Millenium - really interesting time-travel film with Kris Kristofferson as an air crash investigator called to the scene of an airliner crash with no bodies in the wreckage. I'll leave it there. 

Paradox - it's not a classic and does have the usual plot holes, but this is a pretty good low-budget effort about a time-travel experiment where someone goes forward in time an hour, returns to warn of murders happening in the next hour. 

Has anyone mentioned the Trancers films? They're not time travel per se, it's the same idea about regressing back through generations  as would be used in X-Men Days Of Future Past (another quality film), although the first Trancers is very much a low-budget Terminator in a way. 

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

There's an old Jeff Daniels film about time-travelling tourists - Grand Tour: Disaster In Time. It's not bad.

Timescape (As it was called in the UK)! I remember really liking this at the time. 

I’ve just remembered another but can’t remember what it’s called. All I can remember is something about a fireman talking to himself on a CB radio. I think I quite liked it at the time.

Anyone know what I mean?

On 30/09/2020 at 22:09, James Lyon said:

That episode of Murder Most Horrid with the time travel:

Cheers for this  , really enjoyed it.  Not seen any of that series as I've never especially liked Dawn French but I'm converted.

I say there wasn't much of this stuff back in the 70s/80s, but:

Catweazel was your basic mediaeval wizard stuck in the present story. More modern equivalent would be the French film Les Visiteurs (remade as 'Just Visiting').

The kid's show The Tomorrow People had a couple of time travel episodes in it.

7 hours ago, Vimster said:

I've been going through Murder Most Horrid and this is a stand-out episode. 

It's the rather gruesome after effects of Jim Broadbent's blow to the head that does it.

13 hours ago, Gabe said:

There's an old Jeff Daniels film about time-travelling tourists - Grand Tour: Disaster In Time. It's not bad.

In honour of this I've just watched it and enjoyed it again. It's not on any streaming sites but is on YouTube. Pretty hammy, but entertaining.

Another one that wasn't bad was a TV movie with Robert Hays, 'Running Against Time', where he goes back to try and stop Kennedy's assassination.

That's reminded me.

The Final Countdown - a modern-day US Navy ship goes through a time warp and ends up in 1941 just before Pearl Harbor.

The Philadelphia Experiment - essentially the reverse of the above. I haven't seen this one, but always get it mixed up with The Final Countdown, and, bizarrely, The Philadelphia Story.

12 minutes ago, Commander Jameson said:

That's reminded me.

The Final Countdown - a modern-day US Navy ship goes through a time warp and ends up in 1941 just before Pearl Harbor.

The Philadelphia Experiment - essentially the reverse of the above. I haven't seen this one, but always get it mixed up with The Final Countdown, and, bizarrely, The Philadelphia Story.

Books rather than film, but there’s a trilogy by an Australian author called John Birmingham that has a similar premise to The Final Countdown that I think are great fun. 

56 minutes ago, JamesC said:

Time After Time. 

Jack the Ripper steals HGWells's time machine and travels to 1980s America - with HG Wells in hot pursuit! 

Oooh, yeah, that's a good one. The original Time Machine (with Rod Taylor) wasn't bad, either.

@Commander Jameson, The Philadelphia Experiment tries to add some intrigue by suggesting it's based on a true story which, to a young kid with an imagination, I wanted to believe. Can't actually remember much about the film though.

22 hours ago, Gabe said:

Directed by David Twohy weirdly enough, who went onto direct Pitch Black / Chronicles of Riddick / Riddick and another b movie favourite of mine, The Arrival. Took me years to track down a copy of Grand Tour, pretty good overall.

I used to have it on DVD (imported from deepdiscount.com, anybody remember that Canadian e-tailer?) Probably since been lost in house moves. Nice to see it again, anyway.