Tempted to try this. What's the actual gameplay like? Anything Anime is off-putting to me (I like some anime, just not the stuff with high pitched creepy girls and shit)

27 minutes ago, Ry said:

Tempted to try this. What's the actual gameplay like? Anything Anime is off-putting to me (I like some anime, just not the stuff with high pitched creepy girls and shit)

It's incredibly anime. Literally the first line of dialogue, before the screen has faded in, is a girl saying something inane in a high pitched voice. You can turn off the dialogue or switch it to another language and just read the subtitles if you want, which takes the edge off that a bit. Most of your female characters are dressed like they're going to a ball, which is a bit ridiculous when you're climbing up cliffs with them half the time.

image.thumb.png.8b88d3d1a609dc60e55b6bde2a959ece.png

But the gameplay is amazingly satisfying, there's loads of depth to the systems, there's a lovely open(ish) world to explore, and the usual F2P payment shit is almost non-existent.

It also looks lovely :wub:

Untitled2.thumb.png.16cadc3015d7231a0775b75f2436cb88.png

And it's free! Give it a go, you may as well.

45 minutes ago, Ry said:

Breath of the Wild exploration. Dragon's Dogma style combat. Character switching on-the-fly and elemental combos kinda like...i dunno.

You can tell its a $100 million dollar game. Everything just feels good. 

Disclaimer: There's one squeaky girl who is annoying. <_<

1 hour ago, Curtis said:

AR20 and deep into the second area. Its sooooo beautiful. The music is giving me strong Ghibli vibes. :wub:

Yeah me too, and it is such a joy to explore.

I'd heard lots of positive things about this prior to release but I'll admit up until playing I still didn't know what to expect. It's absolutely brilliant.

22 hours ago, Ry said:

It's pretty much as anime as it gets, but it's free, so you can nope out with no financial loss if it bothers you.

Uhh... I seem to have somehow spent the entire day playing this.

I’m really surprised at how good it is. Not sure when the gacha element is going to impede progress but so far I’ve been having a whale of a time just exploring its beautiful world, picking up mountains of loot and cooking honey-roast chicken.

Nice easygoing fare that also has a deceptive amount of depth to it. Great stuff. :)

Looks like the one downside to pulling Diluc with his 0.6% chance of getting pulled is that you need to pull characters again and again to start ramping up their constellations. That'll take a while.

Doesn't really matter too much, to be honest. He hits like a truck even without it.

That's AR16 reached, and immediately I get the standard "No damn way am I joining up with any of these freaks!" upon seeing the list of games to join. Or, be joined by, because I wasn't really sure what they were, if I'm honest. My ID is 701184025, feel free to add me. I'll do the same with any IDs that are in here. (Naturally, we'll never play, but at least we can pretend we have friends out there in the real world.)

I've bought some wishes with Primagems, and now have managed to pull a second Barbara, so she has a constellation. I also got Fischl twice, and Xiangling. And I've overcome my fear of levelling up, so my entire team are roughly level 20, and I'm going to start Ascending everyone, too. Why? I have no idea, it just seems to be the right thing to do. It does seem that I skipped some of the more tutorial missions along the way, and am now being given much easier quests than I otherwise would have, but that's cool. I don't mind being massively overpowered, but it did mean that I spent a weekend unaware of the daily commissions!

It's really a surprisingly good game. I only knew of it because my Facebook was ruthlessly spammed with adverts, but I'm glad I dove in. If you're on the fence, go for it. You've nothing to lose, and it is far better than you're expecting.

I gave this a go yesterday, and a few things that stick out are that it's very pretty, and also incredibly easy for the first handful of hours.

It also borrows so many small details from BotW it's genuinely hilarious. The game itself feels very different but man, the cooking, the enemies, the animations, the little bokoblin settlements. The music in the first dungeon is practically plagiarism.

I'm enjoying it, but reading the last few posts makes it sounds like it gets a lot more complex and railroads you into teaming with randoms. How is the monetisation handled after more playtime?

14 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I gave this a go yesterday, and a few things that stick out are that it's very pretty, and also incredibly easy for the first handful of hours.

It also borrows so many small details from BotW it's genuinely hilarious. The game itself feels very different but man, the cooking, the enemies, the animations, the little bokoblin settlements. The music in the first dungeon is practically plagiarism.

I'm enjoying it, but reading the last few posts makes it sounds like it gets a lot more complex and railroads you into teaming with randoms. How is the monetisation handled after more playtime?

You don't get railroaded into playing co-op nor paying money for anything, you have to actively seek both of those out. You can, as far as I know so far (roughly 16hrs played) choose to avoid them both entirely and still have a great time with it.

It's very easy for a long time at the start, though. The levelling system is a bit odd in that respect, you can massively over-level yourself in a relatively short amount of time. It becomes much more fun when you're fighting mobs which are equal or higher level and you really have to work at combining elemental attacks from all of your characters.

In terms of complexity, it never really gets ott. You level characters, weapons and artefacts up to a certain level, "ascend" them to unlock more levels, repeat. You have a linear buff tree which unlocks for each character at a certain level. Levelling and ascending costs materials which you either farm or buy. You can send characters off on expeditions to collect some materials, meaning they can't be in your party for varying lengths of time. There are statues dotted around the world that you level up to increase character stamina. There are daily quests, and dungeons dotted around the map. All of it adds to an overall Adventure Rank which unlocks story content and more dungeons as your progress through it.

I keep expecting to hit some sort of pay-to-play wall but haven't found it yet - although I'm only in area 2 of 7.

23 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

It really doesn't feel like an F2P game at all. You can play it entirely as a single-player RPG, and all the mobile game stuff is hidden away. Like I said above, the dailies exist, but it took me several days to complete the quest that unlocks them because I was just out there looking for things. Very much like I did with BotW, in fact, in which I only found what would have been most player's second stable after I had done all 4 dungeons.

The complexity is all standard stuff if you've played enough RPGs over the years. It's never quite Monster Hunter, but it's more than Final Fantasy 7. And the multiplayer is co-op, locked to the hosts world so I couldn't steal any of your stuff if I were to join your game.

I initially thought this was just one of those Microtransaction filled grind fests copying Breath of the Wild's design & artstyle to sucker people in, but everything i've heard about it so far suggests that it is actually a good game in its own right.  Also, the pay stuff really is optional & not intrusive (you know, like it's supposed to be in the first place) so i've downloaded & will give it a try tonight.

12 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Looks like the one downside to pulling Diluc with his 0.6% chance of getting pulled is that you need to pull characters again and again to start ramping up their constellations. That'll take a while.

I don't follow this - are the constellations randomised when the character drops from a Wish?

1 minute ago, PK said:

I don't follow this - are the constellations randomised when the character drops from a Wish?

They unlock in order, but you can only access them by pulling the character again. At least, that's what happened so far with Barbara and Fischl. Each has the 1st constellation, and I couldn't choose which one to unlock.

27 minutes ago, PK said:

When you pull a duplicate, you get an item to unlock the next step in their constellation chart. It's also linear progression within the chart, at least for a start.

Tried it at the weekend it looks pretty but just felt very generic to me in the story-telling and similar to many mobile experiences. Not for me.

15 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Tried it at the weekend it looks pretty but just felt very generic to me in the story-telling and similar to many mobile experiences. Not for me.

Dunno if I'd say it's much like standard mobile experiences, which want you to funnel all your cash down their throat before they even say hello, but it is actually more like many JRPG's than you'd expect from the reception it's had. It's free and looks glorious though.

That said, the open world's got more effort put into it than a lot of full price titles do so...

25 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

When you pull a duplicate, you get an item to unlock the next step in their constellation chart. It's also linear progression within the chart, at least for a start.

Ah, I didn't realise the Stella Fortuna things only dropped if you got a duplicate of the character. I suppose if you want to be fully spec'd for end game that's where they'll be making money off you.

Just now, PK said:

Ah, I didn't realise the Stella Fortuna things only dropped if you got a duplicate of the character. I suppose if you want to be fully spec'd for end game that's where they'll be making money off you.

Yeah, I was wondering where they dropped from for a while too. You can actually buy one (and maybe only one unless it resets?) from one of the merchants in the city, but only for your protagonist. The rest all seem to come from dupes.

Played a good few hours on the PS4 at the girlfriends at the weekend.

Now fucking around with the Launcher on Windows 10 and finally got it to fit my screen by making my own Genshin Impact folder on the HDD and extracting the launcher there and then going into the properties of the launcher.

Once there compatibility and change high DPI settings if you are having the same screen fitting issues as me. 

Am i right in thinking you cannot link your accounts on this at all?

Therefore i am starting from scratch on Windows with this?

11 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Played a good few hours on the PS4 at the girlfriends at the weekend.

Now fucking around with the Launcher on Windows 10 and finally got it to fit my screen by making my own Genshin Impact folder on the HDD and extracting the launcher there and then going into the properties of the launcher.

Once there compatibility and change high DPI settings if you are having the same screen fitting issues as me. 

Am i right in thinking you cannot link your accounts on this at all?

Therefore i am starting from scratch on Windows with this?

PSN has a different login, so those can't be linked. Mobile and Windows will sync up though.