https://genshin.mihoyo.com/en

What if Breath of the Wild...

Desktop_Screenshot_2020_09.30_-_11_23_13_93.thumb.png.e2d1940a05cac6eeb4947052aea3267f.png

Desktop_Screenshot_2020_09.30_-_12_31_00_97.thumb.png.9772ac9201351477a9a54fa4220ff87f.png

...but free to play and invisible walls and embarrassing waifus because you're a 38 year old dad?

Desktop_Screenshot_2020_09.30_-_12_17_06_85.thumb.png.4cb47ed9d8e12f85b82c3475526e66cf.png

It's not really much like Breath of the Wild, of course, just like Ubisoft's Breath of the Wild thing won't be. There's a lot more traditional RPG-ing on offer from what I've played so far, but everything seems to be done via resources and currencies (e.g. you spend books you find plus in-game currency to level up your character) because presumably they want you to pay cash money for them to skip grindy bits they've put in (pure speculation).

There is actually stuff to find if you go exploring, which is nice. I did my usual open world thing of completely ignoring what the game wants me to do at the start. In BotW this meant bumping into a Lynel guarding some treasure chests who one-shot me with an arrow from across the map, but in this I got... invisible walls to keep me in-level (and lots of resources and gear), as your level cap seems to be controlled by an XP system based on following story progression quests.

i did a little bit the other day just to get to the bit where you can do the gacha part to spend my free stuff. (got nothing god)

it seems ok so far. and i do think it looks very pretty.

hopefully i'll have time to play it a bit more. as i haven't seen beyond that first town.

This is actually really good! Once you've got your party together and are fighting mobs that actually do some damage it's a lot of fun switching between characters to combine elemental effects. It looks lovely, there's a reasonable amount of depth to the mats and weapon upgrades, and so far I've not hit anything that feels egregiously F2P. I've not actually been invited to spend any money at all yet (although I'm only 3-4 hours in). Also, I'm not sure if it's just the state of the real world at the moment, but it turns out that some silly generic fantasy anime story was exactly what I needed.

However including this good boy but not letting you pet him is an outrageous decision.

image.thumb.png.14724b709016b7e902767b5881d0355e.png

At the moment there's lots of things to level up and I'm just carrying on until I hit a wall.

I'm gonna spend the freebie gems the game gives you tonight and hope I get a good waifu addition to my harem.

1 minute ago, tnman said:

At the moment there's lots of things to level up and I'm just carrying on until I hit a wall.

I'm gonna spend the freebie gems the game gives you tonight and hope I get a good waifu addition to my harem.

You're guaranteed to get the one on the left at the moment. She's my favourite so far, smashes the shit out of everything with claymores and greatswords

Spent most of yesterday with it and it is surprisingly fun, but I have concerns over the endgame and the ability to quickly level up your new gacha pulls. Which, of course, also cause the most irritating itch of you can't have your favourite characters without gambling. Still, I'll try to enjoy the rest of the ride.

It's utterly gorgeous. While that shouldn't really matter, it absolutely does. I'd forgive a lot of roughness for these graphics, but it turns out I don't need to, as it is actually very polished and playable to go with the visual mastetclass. So far, I've not faced any massive problems, which is a couple of hours in, but there is clearly potential for some amazingly fun combat. (Try the character trial for the green guy whose name I forget to see what I mean.)

Will I spend? Quite possibly. I did a Gacha thing that got me loads of swords and bows, but the 2 characters turned out to be nice complements to the standard starter and archer the story gave me to that point. More characters could well be the hook that keeps me playing, because I'm already sure I'll play the story through.

Put it this way ... I'm already not levelling my main guy any further, because I want the whole party to match. This is less than 4 hours in. It's doing something very right.

This game has way more depth than i was expecting. Specifically the combat switching, elements that pair or double up with each other, and overall team composition

I've spent more time today watching ZealsAmbition's YouTube videos than i have playing. He is highly knowledgeable and straight to the point. A worthwhile sub. ;)

The game itself is lovely and really enjoyable in a non-stressful way, which you need sometimes. I'm at the point where im happy to throw some cash at it - as a thank you. Lucky for me gambling is the only vice I've never been into, so rolling Wishes ad infinitum won't be a thing, or a threat to my bank account. 

1 minute ago, Curtis said:

This game has a way more depth than i was expecting.

Yes, same here. It's surprisingly full-featured and a lot of fun. Still not hit the obvious paywall yet after another afternoon of playing, really enjoying it.

I got 4* Barbara and 4* Beidou from some F2P Wishes i earned just by playing the game and then converting the currency.

Both charcters are great and compliment each other perfectly - soak the enemy with Water, switch, then blast 'em with Electric for massive damage! 

Just hit AR10 which means i can now progress the main questline some more. 

Love this game! :wub:

I am completely hooked, and still haven't spent a penny! 

You can tell its a big budget title because its utterly gorgeous, handles great, and has probably the best realtime RPG combat i've come across since Dragon's Dogma. Switching characters mid-combo is very Platinum Games. And of course it shamelessly rips off BoTW every chance it can. But if you're gonna choose influences, those three i mentioned are really good starting points.

I assume all the Gacha stuff has put people off, but ignoring that aspect completely you still get a beautiful FTP package thats joyous fun! Only a 12GB download, so why not give it a whirl. ;)

I only found the shop because I poked around in the menus myself, it's sad that that says a lot these days, but it does seem like that side of things is very hands off compared to most F2P titles these days.

Absolutely. You'll get your free rolls at a certain point early in the campaign, and they've been handing out rewards via the 'Mail' part of the Start Menu almost daily. So check that on a regular.

Then just by playing, exploring, fighting random mobs etc, you earn the in-game Primogems which you convert to Fates into Wishes aka rolls. But, none of it is paywall type shit because all the campaign characters you get for free do whats necessary to progress. 

The cashola will be spent by those who wanna min-max their team and bee-line straight for the endgame content. Streamers and whatnot.

I'm quite tempted to buy the Season Pass thingy, and only part of this is because I rolled a 10-wish that didn't give me that Varti guy! All weapons? I'd have been quite angry had I paid for that.

It's great, but also a little confusing. Like, I somehow missed that I could have had Lisa in my party all along. Make that stuff clear to us! The lack of "Buy this" means that you tend not to investigate menus as much as you maybe would do. Not sure if that's a smart economic decision, but it's refreshing for a game to not be in your face with the monetisation.

I still have no idea what half the stuff I pick up is used for, a d am terrified of using some things in case I meet an awesome must-have character for my team. Or, you know, somehow get Varti ...

9 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

I'm quite tempted to buy the Season Pass thingy, and only part of this is because I rolled a 10-wish that didn't give me that Varti guy! All weapons? I'd have been quite angry had I paid for that.

Venti is a 5* character which has a 0.6% chance of dropping. So you have to be extremely lucky. 

4 minutes ago, Curtis said:

Start Menu > Shop > Paimons Bargains > Purchase with Primogems > Choose which flavour

Nice. I didn't know about that so I've got 4000 Primogems!

Nice! I was just playing the trial version in his story mission. He has some cracking moves!

I'm currently using: Beidou, Kaeya, Barbara and Amber.

The first three synergise really well together in combat. Amber is only there for her 20% gliding passive, and that little distraction doll she's always hugging. 

1 hour ago, Curtis said:

Venti is a 5* character which has a 0.6% chance of dropping. So you have to be extremely lucky. 

Oh, I know this now! But I misread the blurb, mistakenly believing he was guaranteed. Turns out it was Noelle who was guaranteed in the other 10-pull. She's good, and I also got Water-mage Barbara in that one. I guess I just thought there would be at least 1 character in my pull.

59 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

There is a pity system so you are guaranteed to get him after a certain amount of rolls, about 200 quids worth tho.

The trial males this seem like a bargain! I think you have to do 90 wishes, but haven't even started on the maths for it, yet. I'm sure someone on Reddit has made a spreadsheet, I'll investigate there. For now, though, I'm just going to carry on playing. I already found a level 36 monster, my team of level 10s meant I teleported the hell away, sharpish!