Games with Gold October 2020 - Maid of Sker, Slayaway Camp

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The only thing Gold is good for nowadays is as a cheap way to extend your game pass subscription beforehand.

I don't even play online! Gamepass Ultimate is all anyone talks about these days, to the point that it only recently occurred to me that I could get by just fine with normal Gamepass. Except Ultimate ends up cheaper with deals and stacking.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ry said:

I can't get maid of skwr for free even though I have GP ultimate. 

I don't have an Xbox at the moment so many tried in the Xbox site and there is a price for it. 

It'll catch up eventually. It only changed games today, sometimes the store lags for some reason.

1 hour ago, mdn2 said:

Maid of Sker is actually pretty decent. Reminds me a lot of Outlast where you have to hide from enemies as you explore. Not bad for the run up to Halloween. 

Loved the setting, found the Victorian folklore dead interesting but the stealth isn't quite up to the rest. Ended up sprinting between safe rooms rather than relying on inconsistent hiding when I played the review build on PC. Definitely worth playing, as long as you've got tolerance for iffy sneaking. 

Maid of Sker sounds like it really needs a cheat mode. I like the look of the game and the atmosphere, but I find pure stealth horror games a chore to play a lot of the time, so can't really be arsed if it's inconsistent and frustrating. I'd love to play through it for the story and the jump scares, but masterpieces like Alien Isolation & SOMA aside, find the fear and tension rapidly drains away if I'm continually restarting sections.