M. Night Shyamalan's Old

JohnC

1 minute ago, Paulando said:

Can someone put the inevitable twist ending in spoiler tags for me? I’ll never watch this but I’m interested to see how it ends.

Fucking massive spoiler within.

Spoiler

The hotel staff give the tourists complimentary cocktails on arrival at the hotel. We also learn that the tourists all ended up on this holiday through a competion from a pharmacy receipt.  Everyone on the trip is medically unwell in a different way. 

The hotel is being used by a medical research facility.  They discovered the beach ages people 50 years in a day, so the cocktails contain an experimental medical drug.  The tourists are then taken to the island as a treat and the medical research people observe them to see how effective the meds are over the lifetime of the patient. One of the tourists has epilepsy but they don't have a fit on the beach until the end of the day, and the researchers see that as a success  because that drug stopped her fits for 20 years of real life time.  

One of the tourists finds a notebook on the beach, seemingly a previous guest made a list of everyone's names and addresses, and buried it on the beach. 

Other guests in the hotel are also having holidays and are nothing to do with any of that. One is a policeman.

Two of the kids, 6 year olds this morning are now in their mid 50s when they escape and hand the book to a police officer who is on vacation.  The cop realises everyone in the book is missing and he calls the feds who swoop down in helicopters and arrest everyone.

In my opinion they should have left it as just the reveal that it's medical research.  It didn't need all the rest. 

Spoiler

I feel that if you had access to a beach that magically accelerated time, you’d be squandering its potential by using it to murder people so you could test the long term effect of drugs. It reminds me a bit of Looper, where organised crime get access to a working time machine, and they use it to whack people  

I looked this up on Wikipedia yesterday morning as it's likely I'll never watch it. 

The plot listed had a very different ending. When I refreshed the page, it has been edited to the one described by dumpster above. 

The ending that I first read - major actual SPOILERs for OLD.

Spoiler

It followed the same path as the actual movie, but when the two people decide to swim, and seemingly drown, it was written that they were saved by a creature from Lady in the Water, and that the film is actually set in the same universe as that movie. It then went on to describe the help they received, and ended with the reveal of some mythical creature never seen, but only name checked in Lady in the Water.

I was certainly 'what the HELL?'. I wished I'd have screen grabbed the page. The worst part was, I was thinking 'hmmm, sound feasible'. 

• 5 weeks later...

Dialogue was very ropey and probably falls apart if you think about it for more than ten seconds, but I did enjoy this as the premise was good and it didn't overstay its welcome bar

Spoiler

the ending where they should of just died and then revealed what had been happening. 

On 24/07/2021 at 22:35, Goose said:

I looked this up on Wikipedia yesterday morning as it's likely I'll never watch it. 

The plot listed had a very different ending. When I refreshed the page, it has been edited to the one described by dumpster above. 

The ending that I first read - major actual SPOILERs for OLD.

Hide contents

It followed the same path as the actual movie, but when the two people decide to swim, and seemingly drown, it was written that they were saved by a creature from Lady in the Water, and that the film is actually set in the same universe as that movie. It then went on to describe the help they received, and ended with the reveal of some mythical creature never seen, but only name checked in Lady in the Water.

I was certainly 'what the HELL?'. I wished I'd have screen grabbed the page. The worst part was, I was thinking 'hmmm, sound feasible'. 

Hmm yeah I think the ending we got in the end was better - to have gone through with pretty much what he did with 

Spoiler

Split/Unbreakable

would have got a big eye roll from me I think.

On 24/07/2021 at 18:36, dumpster said:

If you saw this on The Horror Channel on a weeknight and knew nothing in advance, you'd say "that was pretty good for The Horror Channel on a weeknight."

This pretty perfectly sums up the level of most of his output really. The most obvious question would be 'why do studios keep giving him money to do it?' but the simple answer to that is that generally he's makes a ton of money and often not on huge budgets. So I guess the question is really ’why do the public keep going to his films?' I wonder if he could shortcut the whole process and just charge filmgoers a couple of quid for a trailer and a twist reveal for his next high concept, rather than wasting all that time and effort ruining it with the other 88 minutes of amateurish filler.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 23/09/2021 at 00:56, Monkeyboy said:

Just watched this. Christ, it was bad. Did M Night write the dialogue in a foreign language, then run it through Google translator? Nobody seemed to have any character. They didn’t speak like human beings.

What are you talking about. It's perfectly normal to tell someone what your job is whilst you're scared about your child being sick.

I think this is the worst new release of 2021, and I've watched some stinkers.

Absolute shite.

M Night Shyamalan is best used to make overlong Twilight Zone episodes packed with more holes than lines of dialogue, and this was one of those. 

I enjoyed the silly things it did, but he really should be churning out about six of these a year.