IGNORED

M. Night Shyamalan's Old

JohnC

• 4 months later...

The twist this time is noone goes to see the film because it is only in theatres this summer and they'll all be empty

Also I hope he didn't ring up JJ Abrams to get an opinion on how to tie up a story based on people seemingly stuck on a beach

• 3 months later...
On 30/05/2021 at 08:38, IcEBuRN said:

Spin that m night shamamalam roulette wheel folks. 50/50 dog turd or actually pretty good? 

It looks hokey and hysterical, but that's a heck of a cast he's assembled. I like to think they wouldn't have signed on had the script been a total duffer. Could honestly go either way. 

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit of a sucker for Shyamalan (Midnight Shalamar as my missus calls him lol), so I was pretty much in on the high concept from the start, which turned out to be pretty thought provoking.  Some dodgy performances but some good ones too.  Ending wasn't quite as OMG as some of his other movies.  And M.Night still needs to hand his ideas over to a scriptwriter.  Definite student movie vibes, for better and worse.

3.5/5

I’ve just got back from watching this. For the most part I found it exceedingly dull. The general premise requires you to suspend disbelief but there are some moments where characters do some really dumb stuff. The mother of the main family was incredibly annoying, seemingly having two default settings - sombre and banshee.  The kids are all pretty decent actors, so they make it a bit more bearable. 

I can’t recommend you watch this in a cinema and suggest you wait for the home version. It just made me yearn for a holiday. 

Spoilers within

Spoiler

Why on earth would you keep your shirt on when you’re about to go

swimming against the time. It’s just going to hold you back. 

Only thinks to look at Idlib’s code a day into proceedings? 

I also thought when Maddox had her growth spurt it all got a bit seedy. And the whole baby part was dumb. 

And Trent playing Basil Exposition going round and asking everyone what there job is, just to fill in the plot.

Enjoyed that, but expectations were low.  It's basically the trailer with an ending.  The ending elevated it from  a 4/10 in my head and took it to a 6/10.  

It's very Shymalan, and the story is enough because the script, acting and filmaking is atrocious. 

If you saw this on The Horror Channel on a weeknight and knew nothing in advance, you'd say "that was pretty good for The Horror Channel on a weeknight."

However, TimeTrap on Netflix is the same sort of thing but much better.  'Old' has time passing normally whilst people age at an accelerated rate. TimeTrap does it the other way around and was my film of the year in 2018 so definitely check that one out. 

9 minutes ago, Triple A said:

M.Night still needs to hand his ideas over to a scriptwriter.  Definite student movie vibes.

Absolutely this.  And that's the issue as this was written for the screen by Shymalan but the story is from a graphic novel so he's not really contributed much here.  It's like he read the graphic novel and said "that's the sort of thing I do" and made it into a film. 

I've just finished the graphic novel, and it was OK, but the ending is really flat!

I imagine it's stepped away from some story elements (racism) and god only knows what he has done for the ending.

Shall I just wait for it to end up on Netflix or is worth taking a punt for £12? 

I live a short walk from the cinema, it's £4.99 and you can get two people in with a Meerkat for that price. 

But if you'd need a babysitter, a taxi, and tickets are £12, I'd probably wait for it to appear elsewhere.

Just now, Paulando said:

Can someone put the inevitable twist ending in spoiler tags for me? I’ll never watch this but I’m interested to see how it ends.

Spoiler

Basically people age really quickly on the beach. Most of the people who visit the beach have an underlying medical condition. At the start of the film, when the guests arrive at the hotel, they are given a welcome cocktail, supposedly made especially for them based on the dietary preferences. Turns out that they’re trial drugs for whatever ailment the guest has. The idea of taking the guests to the beach is so the medical company can see how successful the trial drug is at dealing with the ailment. So because you age 40 years in a day (or similar) they can see the long term impacts of their trial drugs.