PC vs. console gaming: Anyone with a decent gaming PC still planning on getting an Xbox Series S/X?

I've always had a very decent PC but rarely game on it, bar the odd flight simulator or top down strategy game. Reasons for this are manifold - I fell out of love with kbm for FPS years ago. I don't like sitting up at a desk to game, psychologically it feels like work and PC misses out on Nintendo's and most of Sony's exclusives - some of the best games of any given generation. 

14 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

I've always had a very decent PC but rarely game on it, bar the odd flight simulator or top down strategy game. Reasons for this are manifold - I fell out of love with kbm for FPS years ago. I don't like sitting up at a desk to game, psychologically it feels like work and PC misses out on Nintendo's and most of Sony's exclusives - some of the best games of any given generation. 

This. Absolutely. I spent so much time working at PC - it does begin to feel like work gaming at a desk on one.

How easy are they to maintain when they are attached to a living room screen? If they are anything like my work PC, not very(!).

3 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

How easy are they to maintain when they are attached to a living room screen? If they are anything like my work PC, not very(!).

Logitech do a £20 wireless keyboard/touchpad for getting around Windows, and Steam has its 'Big Picture Mode' to improve the UI for firing up games on a TV. They're obviously not quite as faff-free to get going as a console, but then on the flipside, larger SSD storage is more easily attainable, so you won't have to fuck about uninstalling games as often as a console.

31 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

This. Absolutely. I spent so much time working at PC - it does begin to feel like work gaming at a desk on one.

Mine is connected to my monitor via DV port and my OLED via HDMI and I have no problems with either. I'm not sure what you mean by 'maintain'. It depends on the game, but most of the time I PC game on the TV sat in my arm chair (I've got the the Logitech keyboard that @The Fox mentions to get me into the game, then I use an XB1 controller to actually play it).

What would be really great would be if you could control the mouse using the XB1 controller, so that I could use it to click on the relevant store front or game I want to play, so I don't have to use the keyboard at all. I understand that you can use a Steam controller in this way, but they're silly money now that they've been discontinued.

Edit:

A quick Google, and now I'm using this program to control the mouse using my XB1 controller! Works perfectly :) 

12 hours ago, Jamie John said:

As title, really - I'm interested to know whether you're still planning on getting an XSX/S if you're a PC gamer, and why, given that (almost) everything coming to the new Xbox consoles will also be available on PC.

Personally, I'm relatively new to PC gaming, having only built a PC a during lockdown, and although I enjoy the level of customisation PC gaming offers, as well as the variety of games you can buy, very often more cheaply than on console, and despite owning a PC which is as powerful, if not more powerful, than an XSX, part of me is still tempted to buy one.

Mostly, I'm sure, what's compelling me to pick one up is just the lure of the novelty, but there's definitely something to be said about the complete convenience of the suspend and resume feature that modern console gaming offers, as well as not being able to faff around with a keyboard and mouse to get into a game, especially when you're knackered at the end of a long day and just want to start playing as quickly and seamlessly as possible.

Obviously, I'm aware that Big Picture Mode, and the like, definitely exist and there are ways to get your PC to behave like a console in this respect, but as well as being a gaming machine the PC in my house is used as a work station by me and my wife, which means I can't just go straight into Big Picture Mode from the moment I turn it on as I have to sign into my user account. This is if my wife isn't using it already when I want to play games on it. Moreover, with the number of different storefronts available now, often the game I'll want to play won't be part of my Steam library anyway, meaning that BPM is useless if I want to play a game from the Epic Store or on Game Pass, for example.

Lastly, I still think there's something to be said for buying discs that can be sold on, especially when it comes to newer, more expensive games. I haven't spent more than £25 on a game for my PC so far because I know that if I don't end up liking it I'll be stuffed with the digital version I can't do anything with, whereas if I bought the XSX version on disc I'd be able to sell it on and get at least some of my money back.

Anyway, those are my reasons why I'm still tempted to pick up one of the new Xbox consoles. I'm not going to, for a time, anyway, as I want to get through my current pile of unplayed games, but once that's done I might make the jump. My only concern then would be that I'd not end up playing that many games on my PC, which would effectively mean that I've spent over £1000 building a machine that will mostly be used for Chrome and Microsoft Office...

I agree with most of your reasons but will add some thoughts. 

I’ve got a 1080ti 8700k and 32gb ram, so perfectly capable and I’m not sure I’ll see much improvement from a XSX. 

However, where I will see gains is in HDR working like it’s supposed to and maybe a few other little things. 

The convenience is the main one. Instant resume and just grabbing a controller to pick up where I was really appeals. I barely play any games these days and I think part of that is because they’re on the same machine I use for work. It feels icky. Also, while is all SSD and takes about a minute to get into a game, that minute is turn on, pick up keyboard and mouse and controller, sit on sofa, log in, load game. Not exactly a hardship, but you get the point. 

The other, main reason, is that the footbal games won’t get updated on PC until next year at the very earliest, if then. They’ll be accommodating mainstream GPUs for a while. 

Finally - I did consider a 3080 (before it was clear that’d be impossible to get) but I don’t there’ll be that much difference, for a while...

When I got a PC it had a 970 and everyone said that was better than PS4/Bone. It was I suppose, but not in a really tangible way. Maybe I could get 60fps vs 30 in a few games, but not all. Full 1080 at least. 

As the gen went on, and I upgraded, the difference was much greater but I was still playing games made for those consoles at much higher settings in most cases. 

Of course, PCs will outstrip these machines soon, and already can, but I think while CP2077 will look better on a 3080, it won’t be tangible versus the eventually tarted up XSX version when it comes. Just a guess. Either way, I’ll be playing it on current PC and I’m not waiting for a console update. 

TL:DR - Convenience mainly - and being an ageing gamer who can’t be arsed to keep up with the cutting edge of PC gaming after five years in that realm. 

Oh, there's no doubt I'll get them all eventually, as despite being predominantly a PC gamer there's just no way I'd want to miss out on big name games and/or the back catalogue for both machines.

Of course, by the time stock becomes available on everything (and I include the damn GPU in that), it'll probably be after the world has gone up in flames.

Got a PC with a 2080ti in it for high end ultra wide gaming, bought an S for the bedroom and sticking a PS5 in the living room. I mean, if my wife will let me have that giant monstrous beast in the living room. 

If you have a good enough PC I find it hard to justify the Series X outside of not enjoying gaming at a desk all the time. Game pass carries 99% games on the PC platform and you have alot of other choices there too, such as the newly released Sony titles and so on. 

I am going for an S to just replace the Firestick in the bedroom to be honest. It is nice if I am having a bad day I can game in bed too. 

I think the fact we have so much choice at the minute is ace though. Cannot wait to see what sort of titles creep up on us in the next few years! That's if we haven't been hit by an asteroid covered in ricin or attacked by tanks with dinosaurs attached to them. 2020...

Nope, although looking at the GamePass library, sometimes there are console exclusive games that don't appear on the PC pass. Usually not great games though.

But in the grand scheme of things that's nothing. Steam sales, humble bundles and the PC Games Pass catalogue will last me another generation or two.

I’ve got a dedicated gaming PC and pre-ordered both the XBSX and the PS5, as much as I love gaming on the PC the allure of the new console feeling is just too much for me to pass up, especially as I’ve just bought a TV capable of handling said consoles, so the step up to 4K is also exciting me a tad

I have a decent PC but this hardware cycle we'll be looking at something to replace the ailing 360. If the new XBox has the next Dragon Age (a certainty if it is released) and the Final Fantasy 7 remakes then combining that with the backwards compatibility and gamepass make it too good to pass up.

I'll miss the Playstation exclusives but with money being so tight even stretching to one new console feels like a luxury.

Well just geared up for the next gen....

Just pulled the trigger on a x570 board, Ryzen 7 3000 series processor and 32GB of fast memory.

Need to upgrade my GPU but waiting to see what AMD do next year. Also waiting to see what happens after the current crazyness ends with respect to the new NVidia cards.

So PC all the way for me.... Looking forward to seeing what my new toys can do! :)

Ι went back to PC gaming this last gen for quite a bit, even though I had all the consoles. I don't think I will bother any more. It's getting harder and harder to justify such an expense, especially when consoles this gen are so powerful at this price. If current gen consoles are able to produce marvels like Gears, RDR2, U4 or TLoUII, the new output will certainly blow my mind. Besides, I do not fuss about frame rates or the best possible resolutions, etc. 4K@30 is perfectly fine for me or even 1440p with even better graphics. Also, the implementation of HDR and now Dolby Vision won't give me any kind of headaches when turning on my Oled and even RTX will be available.

The console ecosystems just feel more intuitive and simple to me when it comes to connecting, sharing and playing with my friends and I don't have to deal with little annoyances like crashes or other windows surprises. I enjoy the console stores much better than Steam, Epic or any other on the PC and, games, generally, just work; which means I don't have to tinker with weird technical issues from time to time which prompt me to either do an internet search or change a setting in the Nvidia panel, do a restart, etc. I know these are mostly little things of course but, hey, I'm 45 now and things have started to annoy me much more than before. :P

I will still use my PC (i76700, 1070) for some games which can only be found or easily played there (like Crusader Kings 3 or other strategy games) but that is about it. The only reason I'm thinking of upgrading is the idea of playing Cyberpunk 2077 in stupendous graphics mode and full of mods. I do not doubt I will do that at some point but, for the time being, the next gen update will do just fine.

I think my PC's okay-ish and could probably stick with it for a while, but I'll happily forget all discussion about performance comparisons as soon as the right exclusives are shown for one of the new consoles. I mean, if it weren't for the exclusivity of FFVII Remake and P5 Royal, I think all of my gaming purchases for the year so far would have been on PC, thanks to various promos, sales and things like Twitch Prime... 

1 hour ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

If you have a 1070 and are not bothered about the best frame rates and resolutions, then there's no need to resign your PC to just mouse friendly games. That's £300+ saved right there.

There is because the new consoles are way more powerful than a 1070 and way more cheaper than a new PC of equivalent power. I am still a gamer and I'm really looking forward for the new generation and all the shiny bells and whistles. Just not at PC prices.

I have an ok PC at the moment. I probably wouldn’t try running any new releases on it instead of my Xbox One X, but am considering either buying a Series X or buying a new mobo/CPU/GPU for about £500-700 (probably 3060 or 3070 region GPU).

I think you’ve captured a lot of the problems I have with PC gaming these days, though - it’s not as convenient as gaming on a console. You’ve got quick resume, the ability to buy and sell physical games (I save a huge amount of money this way), the ability to just jump on the couch and press a button and be in your game, rather than having to fiddle about with a mouse and keyboard. My PC is also in the study, so if I want to play games on a couch/the OLED, it’s not really an option. I also like not having to even think about what settings to run my games on - I know this is getting better, but old habits die hard and the urge to optimise is always strong.

But the thought of spending about £600-700 to upgrade my PC, and be able to play games from both Microsoft and Sony (the latter have said they’ll be bringing more of their games to PC) is very appealing. Particularly because buying both a Series X and a PS5 costs £900, which is kind of ridiculous given how much overlap there is in what they do.

At the moment, I have a Series X preordered, but might cancel it and go the PC update route, or just hold off spending any money and seeing what the lay of the land is in 6-12 months time.

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I have an ok PC at the moment. I probably wouldn’t try running any new releases on it instead of my Xbox One X, but am considering either buying a Series X or buying a new mobo/CPU/GPU for about £500-700 (probably 3060 or 3070 region GPU).

I think you’ve captured a lot of the problems I have with PC gaming these days, though - it’s not as convenient as gaming on a console. You’ve got quick resume, the ability to buy and sell physical games (I save a huge amount of money this way), the ability to just jump on the couch and press a button and be in your game, rather than having to fiddle about with a mouse and keyboard. My PC is also in the study, so if I want to play games on a couch/the OLED, it’s not really an option. I also like not having to even think about what settings to run my games on - I know this is getting better, but old habits die hard and the urge to optimise is always strong.

But the thought of spending about £600-700 to upgrade my PC, and be able to play games from both Microsoft and Sony (the latter have said they’ll be bringing more of their games to PC) is very appealing. Particularly because buying both a Series X and a PS5 costs £900, which is kind of ridiculous given how much overlap there is in what they do.

At the moment, I have a Series X preordered, but might cancel it and go the PC update route, or just hold off spending any money and seeing what the lay of the land is in 6-12 months time.

Yeah, if you are just upgrading some pieces for a PC then the price is not that much higher. But if you add a big SSD or switching to a new monitor to play those games on 1440p or 4K the price goes up.

Sony bringing their games on PC is a non factor for me because a) we don't know how many of those will actually appear and b) it will probably take some time before they do after their PS5 launch. And I really doubt they will be without some issues to iron out.

For me, buying a PS5 is something that will happen at least until it has an incredible exclusive that I need, so it's not an expense I need to worry about for some time, especially with the rising of prices. My only problem is still if I cave in and spend a fortune to play Cyberpunk on extreme graphic settings. No other games tempt me to do that, they will look amazing enough for me on the new consoles. But Cyberpunk... 

Wish me luck. :(

I think there are a few more things to consider this gen. For me it's not just a case of which hardware I prefer or whether "camp Sony" or "camp Microsoft" will give the best exclusives. The gaming subscription services, developer/publisher acquisitions, and resultant timed/platform exclusives are just starting to become clearer. I'm not particularly excited about the prospect of subscription services which on a basic level may provide time-limited fully functional demos with the ability to purchase a perpetual license for a slight discount.

The biggest threat to my wallet appears to be my own Fear of Missing Out. Being pragmatic, developers and publishers will want to sell their titles to as many customers as possible on as many platforms as possible. So while the MS and Sony services will be touting their Exclusives (with "timed, platform exclusive" in small print underneath), it seems unlikely that games will only ever come to one platform subscription service. I think (and hope) that for those of us who can wait for another six or twelve months, we will get it on our platform of choice, and probably in a Game of the Year format with all the initial problems ironed out.

I've noticed recently that all the titles I want to play are either simultaneous or slightly staggered PC release, and I'm spending around 90% of my time on PC. So for this gen I will probably get a digital version of one of the consoles which seems to have the least painful subscription service. I suspect this might be PS5 solely due to the hardware spec parity with the Full Fat version.