IGNORED

A new challenger appears - Amazon Luna

footle

It didn't surprise me that they've partnered with Ubisoft. Saying that, reading more into it... I think the model they're going for is that to play Ubisoft games you're going to have to pay extra. If you look here, Ubisoft have their own "channel" which if you've ever used Amazon Video means it's an additional monthly fee. Not that I think there is anything wrong with that, but it could soon ramp up in price with each publisher likely to want to charge you to play their own games.

Huh, I was just saying the other day that surely game streaming will split up like streaming video did, with publisher-specific platforms as the norm for first-run and high-profile games. Wasn't expecting it so soon, and if Amazon's offering this Luna as a platform for publishers it'll make that whole transition very easy.

Sounds exactly the same as Stadia? Will be interesting to see if it's a distinct platform or is streaming your existing Steam library a la Geforce Now. I'm guessing it's a separate platform because Amazon will want to own the customer experience.

I'm not interested, because the streaming stuff still doesn't excite me, but I can totally see already that they'll have it as subscription (which I think is a significant issue with Stadia) and they'll have stolen the YouTube integration thing from Stadia and applied it to Twitch. So it's likely two up on Stadia already.

I mean, if it's subscription based and I can use an Xbox controller to play Valhalla and WD Legion for $5.99 at 4k60 then that's amazing. 

Rather than spending £60-70 on a game for PS5 or Xbox I could just subscribe for a month then turn off recurring billing. 

Will be keeping an eye open.

Based on Xcloud, my connection just isn’t good enough. A fun novelty, but useless to me.

Maybe in a few years, but realistically they need to be pushing performance boundaries beyond what a home system can do before it becomes tempting. 

Also notable is that it's available on iOS (iPhone and iPad) and MacOS,  whereas GamePass/xCloud have yet to cross that hurdle. Bit weird given the quoted T&Cs issue as I can't see how this is any different to what Microsoft have proposed and it's not like Amazon and Apple haven't had their own run ins in recent history too with things like the Prime app on Apple TV.

4 hours ago, Alex W. said:

It's implicit in "Luna+" and "Unlimited hours of play" that a basic version of this service is going to be bundled with Prime, right?

Probably. Anyway, so now the big 3 cloud services have a streaming game service. Let's see who blinks. 

Edit - already mentioned I guess :) How the hell did they get around the Apple rules? All the cable companies must be orgasmic over all these new reasons to pay for bigger data caps. 

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

Probably. Anyway, so now the big 3 cloud services have a streaming game service. Let's see who blinks. 

Edit - already mentioned I guess :) How the hell did they get around the Apple rules? All the cable companies must be orgasmic over all these new reasons to pay for bigger data caps. 

Microsoft will spend a fortune getting a reasonable lead, Amazon will tick along being generally a bit naff but not expensive with occasional big hits added, Google will lose interest and close Stadia down. Alibaba will have more users than all 3 put together, but only about 7 users in the UK so will be completely ignored. 

Yeah. I reckon Amazon doing a combo deal covering movies, music and games could be pretty compelling here.

Apparently this isn't its own platform, just Windows. So it shouldn't run into the content availability issues of Stadia requiring bespoke ports. 

11 hours ago, Ry said:

I mean, if it's subscription based and I can use an Xbox controller to play Valhalla and WD Legion for $5.99 at 4k60 then that's amazing. 

Rather than spending £60-70 on a game for PS5 or Xbox I could just subscribe for a month then turn off recurring billing. 

Will be keeping an eye open.

Probably no other controller support unless they release an adapter because the controller connects directly to the service, not the device showing the video feed.

Although I see Stadia does support it in some setups so meh, possible then. Surprises me as the controller was a big part of their reason latency was so good.

12 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Huh, I was just saying the other day that surely game streaming will split up like streaming video did, with publisher-specific platforms as the norm for first-run and high-profile games. Wasn't expecting it so soon, and if Amazon's offering this Luna as a platform for publishers it'll make that whole transition very easy.

This already happened years ago with EA Play and uPlay.