Microsoft acquires Bethesda, id, Arkane MEGATON

10 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I can see why people are excited about this stuff coming to Game Pass but beyond that, I don't really see how this makes Xbox better. It just makes everything else a bit worse.

Surely the ideal situation for consumers is everything being third party and not missing out on games because you chose the wrong box?

It does make everything else a bit worse, but this is the boat we're in because the Xbox "has no games". the_rock_clapping.gif, everyone.

Actually, everything is being bought by anyone capable of doing so. Remember when the internet was actually decentralized, the whole point of the network.

I'll bet Pete Brant's remaining bollock that after any contractual obligations are completed you won't be seeing Bethesda games on PS5. Possibly Switch as well, but I'm less certain of that one.

What it does, is continue to make the Xbox the home for multiplatform gaming on the 'cheap'. One GamePass sub and away you go.

The proposition to some of a PS5 and one Exclusive Fun Game against an Xbox Series X/S and GamePass will become harder to justify, especially against the Series S.

34 minutes ago, Flanders said:

I do agree with your sentiment on conglomeration, but I was also under the impression that Bethesda kind of was struggling and is essentially propped up by Elder Scrolls/Fallout - So many of their high quality games seem to be commercial flops.

Given the lack of any sight of Starfield or Elder Scrolls 6 I also wonder if the main studio was starting to run into serious problems with developing their kind of game to the kind of fidelity required for modern systems - realistically, to make a Skyrim type game that doesn’t look or run like shit in 2020 must be astonishingly expensive. It’s not that surprising that they’ve sought out a big money backer.

I think they seem less successful than they are because they don't – or rather, didn't – have to answer to shareholders. I suspect even a 'flop' like Prey probably covered its development costs in the long run, whilst Bethesda has had their fingers in a lot of pies for a while: they've a successful subscription-based MMO, bizarrely Fallout 76 appears to be doing well, there's a bunch of transaction-filled mobile games, they've several successful VR games, etc.

As publishers go they were already exercising a lot more creative freedom than others.

21 minutes ago, Gabe said:

But it's also what, a couple of months profit? It's big money, but MS can certainly afford it.

Where exactly I did even suggest they couldn’t? Just pointing out what a massive get for them this is in the grand scheme of entertainment mergers and acquisitions.

7 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

I believe this is exactly what will happen here, though the only place you'll be able to play these games on a subscription service, is via Xbox Game Pass.

They're building a library of IPs for Game Pass content, the console/where you play is secondary.

Then they need to bring Game Pass to Playstation but Sony will say no thanks even if MS do offer.

6 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

I believe this is exactly what will happen here, though the only place you'll be able to play these games on a subscription service, is via Xbox Game Pass.

They're building a library of IPs for Game Pass content, the console/where you play is secondary.

Exactly. Owning an Xbox is not a pre-requisite to play these games. Xbox, PC or Xcloud with a Gamepass sub basically covers everyone on rllmuk I think.

If it were Sony who bought Bathesda, you'd almost certainly need a PS5, with some of those games coming out on PC later on.

1 hour ago, Bojangle said:

Give Sony a bit of time, they're still figuring out that having your games available on PC mysteriously leads to more people buying them!

Yeah, but if they put the Gran Turismos and Team Icos and Naughty Dogs on PC, how many of us would still buy PlayStations? Especially ones as big, ugly, and likely noisy as the 5?

The other thing is that potentially MS could use the acquired content as a bargaining chip to allow some Sony properties on Xbox to go along with their PC output.

I mean, I doubt it would happen, but it could.

3 minutes ago, Wallace said:

If it were Sony who bought Bathesda, you'd almost certainly need a PS5, with some of those games coming out on PC later on.

Perhaps. If you were lucky. And then they'd 50% of the time fuck the port up.

I have to say I'm not delighted by this news. I didn't buy an Xbox last gen, and I wasn't planning on buying one this gen either. I don't have as much time for gaming as I used to and a PS4 and Switch was more than enough to keep me happy. However, if the next Fallout/Elder Scrolls games are Xbox exclusives I'll definitely have to get one.

Then I'll resent it enormously, and say mean things about it behind its back.

Amazing move to alleviate the software clusterfuck Microsoft find themselves in, but that clusterfuck has been a long time coming - Microsoft have a habit of acquiring 3rd party IPs and running them into the ground.

It's a bit like a rich kid using in game purchases to buy a souped up armoury and momentarily level the playing field. If they don't actually get better at playing the game it will all be for nought.

4 minutes ago, Escaped said:

Yeah, but if they put the Gran Turismos and Team Icos and Naughty Dogs on PC, how many of us would still buy PlayStations? Especially ones as big, ugly, and likely noisy as the 5?

There would certainly be people who would stop buying the latest Playstation if they could buy them on PC, that's a given. But consoles aren't where the money is made, it's the games. I can see Sony not wanting to sell stuff on Steam and give away 30% of a sale when they could just as well provide it on their own store but it seems to be a strategy that's working for MS. Even stuff that launches day one on Game Pass is somehow still in the top sellers list on Steam, or Epic. Give people more options, you'll sell to more people.

This is a canny move. A game changer. I know at least two people who will now buy an X-Box instead of the PS5 because of this.

If they nabbed Square and Bioware my partner would be demanding we go for X-Box instead. And given they own Double Fine as well and have backwards compatibility going back a way we might be switching.

Well, I game on PC, so "I'm alright, Jack."  However, if I didn't have a PC all it would mean is a PS5 at launch and one of the new Xboxes when either Starfield or Elder Scrolls 6 comes out. 

8 minutes ago, David Kenny said:

I have to say I'm not delighted by this news. I didn't buy an Xbox last gen, and I wasn't planning on buying one this gen either. I don't have as much time for gaming as I used to and a PS4 and Switch was more than enough to keep me happy. However, if the next Fallout/Elder Scrolls games are Xbox exclusives I'll definitely have to get one.

Then I'll resent it enormously, and say mean things about it behind its back.

You could just sub to Game Pass and play via Xcloud and not buy a console, no?

22 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I'll bet Pete Brant's remaining bollock that after any contractual obligations are completed you won't be seeing Bethesda games on PS5. Possibly Switch as well, but I'm less certain of that one.

Nah, it won't affect Switch plans at all - Microsoft already publish games on Switch. 

They released a game on Switch back in May.

I'm impressed how on the down low they kept this when anything MS related short of Phil Spencer's lunch order is usually all over the internet about a week before they officially announce it lately.

Just now, Isaac said:

Nah, it won't affect Switch plans at all - Microsoft already publish games on Switch. 

They released a game on Switch back in May.

They released it on PS4 too.

Just now, footle said:

They released it on PS4 too.

Yeah - I don't think they're going to pull the games from PS5 either.

I think it's just going to be a choice for next-gen Bethesda games of:

1. £70 on PS5
  2. Free (with a game pass sub) on release on Xbox and PC
11 minutes ago, barkbat said:

Amazing move to alleviate the software clusterfuck Microsoft find themselves in, but that clusterfuck has been a long time coming - Microsoft have a habit of acquiring 3rd party IPs and running them into the ground.

It's a bit like a rich kid using in game content to buy a souped up armoury and momentarily level the playing field. If they don't actually get better at playing the game it will all be for nought.

Isn't this, plus the previous studio acquisitions, all because of that past issue? The studios they all have now are likely working on next-gen stuff so we haven't seen the results of those labours, which will lead to them being "better at playing the game".

This is me being lazy and not willing to do any research. Do you think Microsoft has in-house developers that can assist with Fallout and The Elder Scrolls? Fallout as an IP is in a bad place after 4 and 76, and am I wrong for thinking The Elder Scrolls is (6) kind of in the same place thanks to the Creation Engine?

• gospvg changed the title to Microsoft acquires Bethesda, id, Arkane MEGATON