Microsoft acquires Bethesda, id, Arkane MEGATON

Microsoft really pulling out all the stops on the run up to launch.  Hopefully see Dishonored 2 come back on Game Pass as its shortly leaving and i`m currently playing through 1 atm for the first time :( Might hold of on buying Doom Eternal now aswell as you know where thats headed :D 

Wonder if Ghostwire: Tokyo will end up exclusive for Xbox then :eyebrows:

I suppose initial Xbox exclusivity could work and then, when the exclusivity ends they can go on sale for PS5 and hit GamePass the same day - that way everybody still gets to play it, but there is a bonus for Xbox and Game Pass users.

23 minutes ago, Ferine said:

Can't say I like this. Bethesda's a highly successful publisher, not some underfunded, struggling development house that can now breath easy. I don't fault people for being excited as Game Pass subscribers, but I don't think this kind of conglomeration is healthy for the industry as a whole.

I do agree with your sentiment on conglomeration, but I was also under the impression that Bethesda kind of was struggling and is essentially propped up by Elder Scrolls/Fallout - So many of their high quality games seem to be commercial flops.

Given the lack of any sight of Starfield or Elder Scrolls 6 I also wonder if the main studio was starting to run into serious problems with developing their kind of game to the kind of fidelity required for modern systems - realistically, to make a Skyrim type game that doesn’t look or run like shit in 2020 must be astonishingly expensive. It’s not that surprising that they’ve sought out a big money backer.

5 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I'd put diamonds on it being the predominant factor on anything Microsoft do these days. It takes in their could streaming service, their online service, the game library, everything.

No doubt, but the discussion was why MS would spend $7.5bn and not make their games exclusive, and you suggested to get them on Gamepass. Clearly they want their stuff on Gamepass, but presumably that could have been achieved by using a pile of money that is big but not as big as $7.5bn. Basically I am agreeing that buying ZeniMax outright suggests their games will not be on PlayStations in the future.

1 minute ago, Flanders said:

I do agree with your sentiment on conglomeration, but I was also under the impression that Bethesda kind of was struggling and is essentially propped up by Elder Scrolls/Fallout - So many of their high quality games seem to be commercial flops.

Given the lack of any sight of Starfield or Elder Scrolls 6 I also wonder if the main studio was starting to run into serious problems with developing their kind of game to the kind of fidelity required for modern systems - realistically, to make a Skyrim type game that doesn’t look or run like shit in 2020 must be astonishingly expensive. It’s not that surprising that they’ve sought out a big money backer.

Bethesda has been struggling with marketing for years, everything apart from Fallout seems to limp out to limited sales. Wouldn't be surprised if they were struggling financially at all. 

To put this acquisition into perspective. This is, what, 3 billion dollars (raises finger to lip) more than Disney paid for Star Wars (and Indiana Jones and the other associated Lucas stuff).

6 minutes ago, Flanders said:

Yeah I think they must be struggling purely because it’s been so damn long and they’ve still got nothing to show. If they could’ve gotten a sequel out we wouldn’t be seeing the hundredth rerelease of Skyrim.

2 minutes ago, Harsin said:

To put this acquisition into perspective. This is, what, 3 billion dollars (raises finger to lip) more than Disney paid for Star Wars (and Indiana Jones and the other associated Lucas stuff).

But it's also what, a couple of months profit? It's big money, but MS can certainly afford it.

5 minutes ago, bear said:

Huh? 

Recently IGN's Ryan Mccaffrey (sp?) was accused of being hypocritical after praising Sony for paying for exclusivity of a title after damning Microsoft for doing the same thing. 

27 minutes ago, Harsin said:

That's crazy. They totally should have bought Star Wars instead. 

EDIT: I literally have no idea why that's getting a sympathy neg.

37 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Lol what I thought was a fairly innocuous post on the first page has already been sarcastic tear negged by two corporate warriors.

Console wars, serious business!

A lot of people showed their ass with their initial response. It’s megaton news yeah, but ‘fucking great news’? That response is partly driven by being provided with more ammunition in the upcoming Console War, no matter how much they wish to deny they are enthusiastic participants of the War. 

Sony weebs getting upset that FF16 or Demon Souls no longer being 3rd party exclusives also need to chill the F out too.

30 minutes ago, Broker said:

Hopefully they won’t go the way of rare. Microsoft do seem to love mandating endless changes to games in development then cancelling them and firing everyone. 

You mean putting out one of the best games of the generation? Yeah, I sure hope they don't do that.

15 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I suppose initial Xbox exclusivity could work and then, when the exclusivity ends they can go on sale for PS5 and hit GamePass the same day - that way everybody still gets to play it, but there is a bonus for Xbox and Game Pass users.

MS titles go on Gamepass day 1. 

Meh! the console wars. This is a big get for MS & I hope it works in our favour by making sure Bethesda games are delivered quicker & with better quality - bug free.

For me personally the announcement sucks because it means I have to buy an Xbox if I want to play Starfield, next Elder Scrolls or Fallout now.

I can see why people are excited about this stuff coming to Game Pass but beyond that, I don't really see how this makes Xbox better. It just makes everything else a bit worse.

Surely the ideal situation for consumers is everything being third party and not missing out on games because you chose the wrong box?

1 minute ago, mikeyl said:

A lot of people showed their ass with their initial response. It’s megaton news yeah, but ‘fucking great news’? That response is partly driven by being provided with more ammunition in the upcoming Console War, no matter how much they wish to deny they are enthusiastic participants of the War. 

Sony weebs getting upset that FF16 or Demon Souls no longer being 3rd party exclusives also need to chill the F out too.

It's great news if you have Game Pass and/or were getting a new Xbox so there's nothing wrong with saying that.

It's (potentially, we don't know) not great news if you were only interested in a PS5 (i.e. like Broker). But that's true of any game that becomes exclusive (i.e. the mixed messaging over FF16).

Nobody here has proclaimed this is better for the industry though, our has (so far) used it as something to through back at Sony fans. Indeed, your post is probably the most console war-ish post in this thread so far.

2 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Surely the ideal situation for consumers is everything being third party and not missing out on games because you chose the wrong box?

That doesn't seem to be the way the industry is going, Sony is getting out their chequebook for plenty of timed exclusives or console exclusives to make their box look more attractive, and Microsoft sees the advantage in bringing a lot of exclusive content for GamePass.

I think you're going to see a lot more of this.

7 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

*record scratch*

Demon's Souls is a Sony IP. From Software did production work for Sony's Japan Studio, hence From's non-involvement (so far) and Bluepoint (seemingly) handling everything. This is why the confusion regarding those 'exclusivity cards' started at all.

5 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Agree I hate it but that is how the video game industry has worked for many years. Bethesda will not be the last Megaton.

5 minutes ago, Gabe said:

It's great news if you have Game Pass and/or were getting a new Xbox so there's nothing wrong with saying that.

It's (potentially, we don't know) not great news if you were only interested in a PS5 (i.e. like Broker). But that's true of any game that becomes exclusive (i.e. the mixed messaging over FF16).

Nobody here has proclaimed this is better for the industry though, our has (so far) used it as something to through back at Sony fans. Indeed, your post is probably the most console war-ish post in this thread so far.

There’s a few “say Xbox has got no games now motherfuckers!” Knocking about.

Which is totally fine. I’m happy there’s a console war, it means that consoles launch at £249/£449. Lads pretending they are above all that pettiness tho...

10 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

You mean putting out one of the best games of the generation? Yeah, I sure hope they don't do that.

I’ll look forward to that in three generations time.

5 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I believe this is exactly what will happen here, though the only place you'll be able to play these games on a subscription service, is via Xbox Game Pass.

They're building a library of IPs for Game Pass content, the console/where you play is secondary.

• gospvg changed the title to Microsoft acquires Bethesda, id, Arkane MEGATON