Microsoft acquires Bethesda, id, Arkane MEGATON

Just now, moosegrinder said:

There's only one company for a 3D Castlevania and that's Platinum. CAN YOU IMAGINE!?

Yep. I loved Astral Chain which marries Platinum's combat and unique style to that Nintendo polish, so that's what I'd like to see. Certainly Konami wouldn't bother. 

Just now, Broker said:

Hopefully they won’t go the way of rare. Microsoft do seem to love mandating endless changes to games in development then cancelling them and firing everyone. 

You can roughly divide Microsoft's purchases in Pre-Minecraft and Post-Minecraft. This is definitely Post.

Yaah, MS aren't the company they were. I mean, they're still an all consuming megacorp that love money above all else, but at least they SEEM like they care about the games they put out. You don't delay your flagship launch game after the response it gets without being able to 'read the room' so to speak.

1 minute ago, Broker said:

What studios have they bought that have finished and released a game since minecraft? 

All with mid-cycle developments? This is a very weird comment. You want to buy studios for future output not an immediate library. Even though the Zenimax thing does give them that option.

14 minutes ago, Broker said:

What studios have they bought that have finished and released a game since minecraft? 

Ninja Theory, Playground Games, Undead Labs, Compulsion Games, Obsidian Entertainment, inXile Entertainment. Basically only the Psychonauts guys who haven't, and that was due to Covid delays.

29 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

How do you not own Skyrim? Skyrim is basically the modern day equivalent of ‘can it run doom’, it’s been ported so often. 

Every obvious title I don't own is a direct measure of how much time I no longer have to play games.

1 minute ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Regardless of your allegiance, how can you NOT be excited about this!?

I'm just glad it gives Arkane more stability to make more of the the glorious, hopefully uncompromised, single player experiences they've given us this gen. 

Also Prey 2 pretty please.

8 minutes ago, MalevolentPanda said:

I'm not sure they would have had to buy all of ZeniMax if they just cared about getting their stuff on Gamepass.

I'd put diamonds on it being the predominant factor on anything Microsoft do these days. It takes in their could streaming service, their online service, the game library, everything.

Xbox has no games. Microsoft ruin studios by buying them. I don't want studio {name here} to be bought because I like them on {console of choice}. etc.

Man, gamers are funny. I think people want The Phone, and The Console, and so on. Basically, Buy n Large.

2 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Regardless of your allegiance preference, how can you NOT be excited about this!?

Its certainly interesting. But if you were set on only buying one console (I'm not), and had chosen PS5 because of Sony's exclusives and expected the likes of Elder Scrolls 6, the next Doom etc. to turn up eventually, I can see why you'd be upset.

4 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Also, Major Nelson specifically mentioned Deathloop in a tweet welcoming the deal, I imagine that might've been left off there was no chance of it coming to Xbox.

Its timed console-exclusive on PS5, so it'll no doubt appear on Xbox at some point if the launch deal stays in place (I'd imagine any deals currently in place would be honoured)

Just now, footle said:

Its certainly interesting. But if you were set on only buying one console (I'm not), and had chosen PS5 because of Sony's exclusives and expected the likes of Elder Scrolls 6, the next Doom etc. to turn up eventually, I can see why you'd be upset.

Yes, but they probably also didn't get an Xbox because it has no games. Just to close out the irony loop.