Microsoft acquires Bethesda, id, Arkane MEGATON

I remain unconvinced that the major existing IPs will go Xbox-exclusive, because if that was going to happen why wouldn't MS say so now? Console manufacturers are hardly backwards in shouting about their exclusives - I'm sure MS wouldn't be so cagey about the idea of Halo appearing on Playstation, or Sony about Uncharted on Xbox. For instance, here's a member of the Xbox team being unequivocal about Hellblade's exclusivity:

If MS want people buying into Xbox or GamePass to get Bethesda games, now is the time to shout their exclusivity from the rooftops, because the prime opportunity to get people to switch platforms is at the start of a new gen. Most people aren't going to switch console mid-gen, so any customers MS fail to grab from Sony now they're probably going to continue to miss out on for another 5+ years.

Ambiguity around exclusives normally is a big flag that the exclusivity will be, at most, time-limited, and I see no reason to believe differently here.

1 hour ago, Cappuccino Kid said:

I remain unconvinced that the major existing IPs will go Xbox-exclusive, because if that was going to happen why wouldn't MS say so now? Console manufacturers are hardly backwards in shouting about their exclusives - I'm sure MS wouldn't be so cagey about the idea of Halo appearing on Playstation, or Sony about Uncharted on Xbox. For instance, here's a member of the Xbox team being unequivocal about Hellblade's exclusivity:

If MS want people buying into Xbox or GamePass to get Bethesda games, now is the time to shout their exclusivity from the rooftops, because the prime opportunity to get people to switch platforms is at the start of a new gen. Most people aren't going to switch console mid-gen, so any customers MS fail to grab from Sony now they're probably going to continue to miss out on for another 5+ years.

Ambiguity around exclusives normally is a big flag that the exclusivity will be, at most, time-limited, and I see no reason to believe differently here.

The problem is we don't know what deals Sony is likely to have made with Bethesda prior to this purchase. Outside of Ghostwire etc there could be more, Sony certainly were cosying up to Bethesda on timed exclusives, and MS likely have to let those deals continue under Contract.

Also the buy out hasn't completed yet so its also likely MS are unable to shout "Elder Scrolls 6 is Xbox exclusive forever" until this has happened. The Hellblade IP is owned by MS and therefore an easy answer. 

Anyway future projects that were just beginning are likely to be halted until the buy out is finished. Once done MS will no doubt want to review these studios and approve/cancel the work as they see fit before making any formal announcements on upcoming games and platforms.

I think if you’d like to play the next fallout or elder scrolls badly then you want an Xbox. You can hope that they’ll throw a bone but you can’t buy a PS5 expecting Bethesda games. It’s like buying a Series S/X and expecting the next Rachet and Clank game on it.  Microsoft will be funding the new fallout and elder scrolls to the tune of £££ because it’s now one of their franchises. They want to sell games pass and consoles not PS5s.  

They’ve already pretty much outlined their strategy a few months back. Phil Spencer said that the are not exclusive to Xbox gamers but that they want people to access their games from other devices too. They have been saying that PS5 owners can play these games without needing an Xbox but via a device that can access the Xbox marketplace. So via pc etc. 

4 hours ago, gospvg said:

Who cares? The next game from Bethesda is not coming out for years.

Really? Their last release was 2015.

There's been rumours that Starfield is next year and leaks from early testing. Remember they don't announce when these games are coming until like four months before they launch these days, just because you've heard little doesn't mean it's ages away anymore.

4 hours ago, Jg15 said:

The problem is we don't know what deals Sony is likely to have made with Bethesda prior to this purchase. Outside of Ghostwire etc there could be more, Sony certainly were cosying up to Bethesda on timed exclusives, and MS likely have to let those deals continue under Contract.

You can be pretty sure that Starfield isn’t a Sony timed exclusive.

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

Really? Their last release was 2015.

There's been rumours that Starfield is next year and leaks from early testing. Remember they don't announce when these games are coming until like four months before they launch these days, just because you've heard little doesn't mean it's ages away anymore.

Ok next year then, I still don’t care and don’t need to worry about it now.

Mikami originally set-up Tango so he could mentor some talented individuals and step back from front line development, he only originally planning to do one game for ZeniMax, the last two games from his development company have been led by other people.

The Tango phase of his directing career didn't quite deliver the goods compared to his Capcom or Clover or even that one time he did freelancing for PlatinumGames.