Microsoft acquires Bethesda, id, Arkane MEGATON

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

Fuck it, buy them all, then get Remedy on with AW2 and Bungie back on Halo duty.

YES! This would be the best outcome of any buyout ever in gaming. I would love it. And probably the only way Alan Wake 2 would ever get made with a decent budget.

343 booted off the Halo franchise asap and let them make something completely new. Their tech is (usually, Infinite notwithstanding) impressive - they just need to find a game they're good at.

On 17/10/2020 at 08:53, Count Buffalos said:

Why does that matter to you?

On 17/10/2020 at 08:55, El Spatula said:

Yeah seems to be an odd thing to celebrate.

Probably because good 1st party exclusives are seen as something to celebrate on every other system.   That and it means another guaranteed game free on GamePass that a lot of people subscribe too. 

I might be wrong (and obviously everything has a price), but I’m pretty sure I remember reading that IO said they wouldn’t consider a buyout again after wrestling themselves out of the Square situation last time.

I’m surprised Moon aren’t already on the books to be honest.

25 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

I might be wrong (and obviously everything has a price), but I’m pretty sure I remember reading that IO said they wouldn’t consider a buyout again after wrestling themselves out of the Square situation last time.

Moon a a bunch of geographically dispersed freelancers. I’m not sure you’d really know what you were acquiring.

On 18/10/2020 at 19:20, moosegrinder said:

Because then he'd be able to use all his disc games presumably. Tbh if I hadn't subconsciously switched over to digital from about 18 months ago I'd be in the same situation. I wouldn't want to fork out 450 quid when 250 would be much preferable, but if your pile of shame is physical the S is no use.

On 18/10/2020 at 19:53, JPL said:

Yeah, you’re probably right. I just wondered if there was anything more to it than that.

If that is the case, I’d just flog my One with all the physical games, get the S with Gamepass and buy any missing games on digital.

It’s understandable them removing the drive to keep the costs down and as a way to get people onto Gamepass though.

That's totally the case but given how tight money is, and how I need to make my collection physically smaller I might end up getting the S, buying what I really want to keep playing digitally and giving the physical discs to my brother.

As we were discussing Deus Ex in another thread, I thought of one (former) publisher I wouldn't mind being bought by Microsoft: Eidos. Buy it off Square Enix who are squandering it anyway. Revive Legacy of Kain and Deus Ex for example, put talented teams on those. Fan favourite franchises with a loyal fanbase, bona fide classics with an unassailable reputation - awesome and very welcome addition to game pass. And also probably the only way we will ever see another Legacy of Kain or Deus Ex. Fucking Squeenix :(

As much as I would love Legacy of Kain to come back somehow, I'm not sure how keen I'd be without Amy Hennig on board and I think she's left the industry I think. The dialogue was so fantastically overwrought it perfectly matched the setting. And we'd obviously need to go full reboot at this point - as much as I'm amused by the idea of some dev unapologetically pushing out Defiance Part 2 without even a hint at a "previously on".

Eidos is a good shout, you get the feeling the Japanese and western sides of square are completely different companies who rarely talk to each other, the Japanese side has been putting out some really good games over recent years, not so much the ex-Eidos side.

Amy Hennig runs a game studio owned by Skydance Films, though with no announcements of any projects. Skydance is owned by the same family as Annapurna who as well as a film studio are a major indie game publisher these days. 

On 18/10/2020 at 22:49, FiveFootNinja said:

Moon Studios have ended their exclusivity deal with Microsoft so clearly have no interest in being bought, they've signed with Take-Two for their next game. You can only easily buy people who want to take your cheque, and not everybody has a price.

Their next game is an Action-RPG.

https://www.privatedivision.com/2020/07/29/private-division-teams-up-with-moon-studios-league-of-geeks-and-roll7-on-upcoming-new-games/

CDPR is an interesting hypothetical, they've been about as tight with Microsoft as BGS were in the past and are publicly traded so a bid is perfectly possible if you want to use FU money on it, but their public stance on a lot of matters makes them more akin to Valve. Would seem to want to prefer to grow organically. About the only company that can take on BGS for WRPGs in terms of sales now that BioWare have fucked themselves.

49 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Moon Studios have ended their exclusivity deal with Microsoft so clearly have no interest in being bought, they've signed with Take-Two for their next game. You can only easily buy people who want to take your cheque, and not everybody has a price.

Their next game is an Action-RPG.

https://www.privatedivision.com/2020/07/29/private-division-teams-up-with-moon-studios-league-of-geeks-and-roll7-on-upcoming-new-games/

Ah, I didn't know about that. The last I saw from them was waxing lyrical about how good the Series X patch for Will of the Wisps was going to be so assumed they were still at least partly in bed together.