IGNORED

Microsoft acquires Bethesda, id, Arkane MEGATON

The Mighty Ash

8 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

FFXVI is obviously only a timed exclusive though, just like VII Remake.

"We can't talk about other platforms right now" is basically the Sony given response line for when they've paid for timed exclusivity. They just want to create the illusion it'll never be on other platforms. If it was an outright exclusive they'd flat out say so. See also how cagey IO are being around Hitman VR.

Okay, so Street Fighter V could still appear on Xbox any day now?

6 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Okay, so Street Fighter V could still appear on Xbox any day now?

I've no idea about the history of that game, I have a vague recollection that Sony played a big part in making it happen though? So it's probably not comparable to the cases I mentioned...

A quick google shows this -

image.png.4229f33a01cfb7b17d2667bbfc24374a.png

When Square come out and say the same about FFXVI I'll believe it.

15 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

I noticed today that Dishonoured 2is no longer on the “leaving soon” list on Gamepass. It was there up until yesterday.

Good job as i`m currently playing through Dishonored 1 for the first time and was gutted when it came up as leaving.  Fingers crossed they put Prey back up to as i never got round to playing that either.

On 24/09/2020 at 07:35, mdn2 said:

Even Michael Fucking Pachter saw it coming. In 2018 he was asked if he expected any large company to shake up the video games industry and he said he expected Bethesda to be sold to either Activision, Microsoft or Amazon by the end of 2020. 

(At around 9:15 in the video)

So even Michael Fucking Pachter knows more than us. :wacko:

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

19 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

I've no idea about the history of that game, I have a vague recollection that Sony played a big part in making it happen though? So it's probably not comparable to the cases I mentioned...

A quick google shows this -

image.png.4229f33a01cfb7b17d2667bbfc24374a.png

When Square come out and say the same about FFXVI I'll believe it.

Okay, so Street Fighter which has been multiplatform since the 16bit days, has historically been far more popular than Elder Scrolls and is far better known among more casual audience, becoming exclusive after thirty or so entries (counting all the Alphas, Versus, spinoffs and whatever) - that's not a problem, not relevant, not comparable.

But Elder Scrolls, which was exclusive to Windows PC for the first two games, was a bona fide XBOX CONSOLE EXCLUSIVE for part 3, only became multiplatform with part 4, and arguably became really popular among a wider audience with part 5 - literally just the one game - becoming Xbox console exclusive again like it used to be, that's a huge problem, outrage, boycott ahoy?

4 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Okay, so Street Fighter which has been multiplatform since the 16bit days, has historically been far more popular than Elder Scrolls and is far better known among more casual audience, becoming exclusive after thirty or so entries (counting all the Alphas, Versus, spinoffs and whatever) - that's not a problem, not relevant, not comparable.

But Elder Scrolls, which was exclusive to Windows PC for the first two games, was a bona fide XBOX CONSOLE EXCLUSIVE for part 3, only became multiplatform with part 4, and arguably became really popular among a wider audience with part 5 - literally just the one game - becoming Xbox console exclusive again like it used to be, that's a huge problem, outrage, boycott ahoy?

It sounds like you're mad at me, for some reason? I've absolutely zero issues if the series goes exclusive (I actually don't think it will). But you can be sure that the Gamers will do their whole being very angry online and shouting boycott thing if it does go exclusive, was my point. (alongside my doubt that FFXVI is an actual PS5 exclusive and not just a timed deal).

Just now, Bojangle said:

It sounds like you're mad at me, for some reason? I've absolutely zero issues if the series goes exclusive (I actually don't think it will). But you can be sure that the Gamers will do their whole being very angry online and shouting boycott thing if it does go exclusive, was my point.

I'm not mad about just trying to understand why Street Fighter is suddenly not a comparable situation to you while it should have been a far bigger issue than Elder Scrolls if you put them side by side :D

I think the big lesson here, is that it's only suddenly a problem because it's Microsoft getting an exclusive instead of internet favourite Sony.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I'm pretty sure I got an Xbox 360 just to play Skyrim as it was some degree of exclusive? Or maybe it was just that it ran like dogshit on a PS3?

If I'm completely honest I was mostly just jokingly poking holes in @Bojangle's reasoning - it only occured to me that Elder Scrolls was already an Xbox exclusive in the past while writing that post :D And counting Windows, has therefore been a Microsoft exclusive for three games (5 even if you count the two spin-off games on PC) and multiplatform for only two.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I'm not mad about just trying to understand why Street Fighter is suddenly not a comparable situation to you while it should have been a far bigger issue than Elder Scrolls if you put them side by side :D

I think the big lesson here, is that it's only suddenly a problem because it's Microsoft getting an exclusive instead of internet favourite Sony.

I think there's been some wires crossed here. I wasn't arguing for or against exclusives to either. I was just responding to RJ saying FFXVI was a PS5 exclusive that, due to the wording they're using, it probably is in fact, just a timed exclusive. I guess my point with SF was that Capcom flat out said "This is not coming to Xbox" whereas Square have said "We can't talk about other platforms right now" in response to FFXVI. Was not at all saying that one deal is fine the other isn't.

Could also just be the blinding headache I've got right now making me misread your posts completely :p

I mean people were literally still bringing up Tomb Raider ITT as a problem, even though it's exactly the same as FFXVI, right down to the evasiveness over the actual level of exclusivity.

It sure feels like it's only a problem when one company do it, but a praiseworthy thing when the other side do it.

1 minute ago, Bojangle said:

I think there's been some wires crossed here. I wasn't arguing for or against exclusives to either. I was just responding to RJ saying FFXVI was a PS5 exclusive that, due to the wording they're using, it probably is in fact, just a timed exclusive. I guess my point with SF was that Capcom flat out said "This is not coming to Xbox" whereas Square have said "We can't talk about other platforms right now" in response to FFXVI. Was not at all saying that one deal is fine the other isn't.

Could also just be the blinding headache I've got right now making me misread your posts completely :p

Could also be me man. My 3yo boy is feeling a bit sick and as a result I've only had three hours of sleep last night. I do think I stumbled across an excellent point with Morrowind having been an Xbox exclusive.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Could also be me man. My 3yo boy is feeling a bit sick and as a result I've only had three hours of sleep last night. I do think I stumbled across an excellent point with Morrowind having been an Xbox exclusive.

Yeah, historically Elder Scrolls has more of a past on Xbox than Playstation for me. I remember playing Morrowind for the first time on my Crystal Xbox and being amazed at the size of the world, blew the proverbial socks off.

Seeing Oblivion at a mates house was what made me buy a 360 (only other time I had "that moment" was GTA 3 on the PS2). I was day one for Skyrim on my 360 when it came out.

32 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I mean people were literally still bringing up Tomb Raider ITT as a problem, even though it's exactly the same as FFXVI, right down to the evasiveness over the actual level of exclusivity.

It sure feels like it's only a problem when one company do it, but a praiseworthy thing when the other side do it.

Tomb Raider less so, because it would have been competing with Uncharted 4 as I recall. It didn’t feel like a surprise that Microsoft would want the exclusivity, or that Square Enid would take the money and avoid the scheduling clash with the highly anticipated exclusive.

I still wonder about the "exclusivity" of Shenmue 3, again a series that has more past history with Xbox and from what I can tell was pretty much crowdfunded with little financial support from Sony (who didn't even publish it).

I'm guessing it has to be timed?

Has anybody been following the swirl of news reports, speculating as to what Sony's response to this will be? Obviously Sony have nothing like the war chest MS have, but they do have $33 billion in cash to hand (impressively, that's a 39.25% increase from the previous year) so they're not toothless either and given the amount of money Playstation generates for Sony, I could certainly see them being willing to invest to protect their brand.

I personally doubt that they would be looking to snap up any publishers, many are simply prohibitively expensive and wouldn't be good value for money anyway. There does appear to be a lot of chatter surrounding the idea of Sony purchasing Konami's franchises and personally, I could see why that would make sense. It would give them exclusive access to a raft of beloved franchises and they already have a long history with them. Indeed there have been longstanding rumours that Sony is currently working on a PS5 remake of Metal Gear Solid and a new entry in the Silent Hill series. I could see those franchises along with Castelvania and Contra along with others being quite a get for Sony, who would probably go down the route of expanding their first party teams or purchasing individual developers to bolster their development capacity.

In terms of developers Sony might purchase, there have been persistent rumours that Sony is looking to buy Control developer, Remedy. Many are also speculating that a logical pickup for Sony would be From Software. The developer has a close history with Sony and Sony are typically keen on purchasing developers they have worked with before.

Consolidation could become a big part of this gen and as MS have clearly said they're not done yet, then I'd be very surprised if Sony or even Nintendo for that matter, stood still and allowed MS, Amazon or Google to gobble up all the talent around them.

I don’t really think there any equivalent Bethesda type deals available out there. The likes of EA, Ubisoft and Activision are another level up and Sony couldn’t afford them, and they’re likely far less open to sale anyway. The Konami franchise purchases make sense.

The ultimate defensive deal in the longer term if the tech giants start to take over is a Sony-Nintendo merger but that’s years from being any sort of consideration.

Bungie are apparently looking for a buyer, if you believe those reports from a couple of weeks ago. Not sure you'd necessarily want to hop on the Destiny train at this point, but they will presumably be working on something else, and Bungie's record is pretty good. Not really the same thing as Bethesda, as they publish their own games rather than anyone else's at this stage, but it would be a pretty punchy move.