Microsoft acquires Bethesda, id, Arkane MEGATON

8 minutes ago, Blunt said:

Well if you believe TES 6 is coming anytime in the next two years, more power to you.

If only Bethesda et al. could work on more than one single game. sadfacecrying.gif

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

We did have someone announcing the PS5 as the new Saturn earlier so we’re not entirely the bastion of rational discourse here.

Yes and yesterday I was reading on here how Cyberpunk 2077 is a shit game...

1 hour ago, Mr Do 71 said:

I don't care if Bethesda's continue to release games on the PS5, all I care about is that it stops those games being bloody timed-exclusive for Sony's console. I was really pissed off when Deathloop went exclusive for PS5, as I wanted to play it ASAP on Xbox. More than any other game developer, I look forward to an Arkane Studios game. Because they're the one developer releasing Valve quality single player games on a console.

Now Microsoft have it all, and it's the best fucking news this year.

Deathloop and Ghostwire will still be timed exclusive, as those deals were already made.

2 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Deathloop is timed, pretty sure Ghostwire is full exclusive.

The PS5 trailer said Console Exclusive for a limited time, so I expect an Xbox release at some point. 

21 minutes ago, footle said:

I’m pretty sure it isn’t possible to make money on a single platform game with an infinite budget.

Have you similar genuine concerns about the amount of money it cost Sony to create TLOU2?

(this purchase does put that halo infinite spend in perspective: but there’s a hell of a lot of videogame IP tied up in Bethesda)

TLOU is nowhere near as expansive or ambitious as an Elder Scrolls or GTA game. I don't think we've seen anything new on that scale this generation except Red Dead. Fallout 4 is notably smaller and more limited than Skyrim. Even RDR has a lot more countryside and a lot less unique assets than a GTA game would have.

29 minutes ago, layten said:

If only Bethesda et al. could work on more than one single game. sadfacecrying.gif

Right, and most of Bethesda's studios have games that have either just came out or are about to, meaning even if the output from, say, Arkane or Id is fully exclusive from this point on, you're not seeing them anytime soon.

Anyway, my original point was that to pretend that Sony doesn't still have a fuckload of games come coming to their platforms is pretty silly.

10 minutes ago, Blunt said:

Right, and most of Bethesda's studios have games that have either just came out or are about to, meaning even if the output from, say, Arkane or Id is fully exclusive from this point on, you're not seeing them anytime soon.

Anyway, my original point was that to pretend that Sony doesn't still have a fuckload of games come coming to their platforms is pretty silly.

No, your original point was to try and make out that only Sony would have a large catalogue of first party games by 2022. As you seem a bit upset, I'll even quote your own words as your memory is a bit lacking.

image.png.8aae43d8287be665cbcd9d73c54b7116.png

Microsoft now own over 20 game studios. I'm sure a few of them can get something out by then.

I can’t think of a time when a platform holder has straight-up bought up some big IP rather than developing their own from scratch. I can only come up with Bungie/Halo (swiped from under the noses of Mac gamers) and Mojang/Minecraft (still very much multiplatform). 

There must be other examples?

3 minutes ago, Pob said:

I can’t think of a time when a platform holder has straight-up bought up some big IP rather than developing their own from scratch. I can only come up with Bungie/Halo (swiped from under the noses of Mac gamers) and Mojang/Minecraft (still very much multiplatform). 

Not quite the same but Nintendo with Bayonetta and Fatal Frame? They don't own the games, though but have first refusal on any sequels. 

1 hour ago, Nate Dogg III said:

I think my argument is that the acquisition itself, and all that stuff being on Game Pass now and at launch and forevermore thereafter, is the sell. Not 'this is the only place you can get this stuff', which is emphatically not the point of Game Pass. It's more a case of 'build it and they will come', rather than 'buy it and force them to'.

I hope I'm right, anyway. Microsoft's whole deal since Spencer took over has been sunshine and good vibes and I hope it doesn't end here.

And Xbox is not the only place you will find Elder Scrolls 6. Because, as you say, the point is game pass. Abd their aim is getting game pass everywhere. It's also on your PC, on your tablet, on your phone. Shit, if Sony would let them it would also be on your PS5. Microsoft didn't spend 7.5billion just to make games for PS5. They did it because they want people subscribing to game pass. And if you don't have an Xbox, no problem: a 1 month subscription gets you access to all Bethesda's games and much more on loads of devices besides Xbox. That's their game. So, unless Sony decides to allow a Game Pass app on PS5, I'm willing to bet PeteBrant's other bollock that ES6, Starfield, everything after GhostWire and Deathloop is exclusive to Game Pass.

8 minutes ago, Pob said:

MS bought Gears, was always associated with them but was technically third party. 

That resetera thread is fascinating. People still don't understand MS' strategy of making gamepass like Netflix. They're not trying to sell consoles, per se. Just like Netflix, they'll need a rapid and diverse flow of quality exclusives to make that work out. Putting out one entry from halo, forza and gears every year or two isn't enough. 

Also loads of people there seem to feel personally attacked because they can't ever play these games (some sort of ban on using an Xbox in their houses, I guess). 

8 minutes ago, Pob said:

PlayStation stole Final Fantasy from Nintendo :angry:

11 minutes ago, layten said:

No, your original point was to try and make out that only Sony would have a large catalogue of first party games by 2022. As you seem a bit upset, I'll even quote your own words as your memory is a bit lacking.

image.png.8aae43d8287be665cbcd9d73c54b7116.png

Microsoft now own over 20 game studios. I'm sure a few of them can get something out by then.

I'm sure they can too but so far only one console owner of the two has commited to release dates on a lot of its first party output and has potential system sellers exclusive at launch.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

And Xbox is not the only place you will find Elder Scrolls 6. Because, as you say, the point is game pass. Abd their aim is getting game pass everywhere. It's also on your PC, on your tablet, on your phone. Shit, if Sony would let them it would also be on your PS5. Microsoft didn't spend 7.5billion just to make games for PS5. They did it because they want people subscribing to game pass. And if you don't have an Xbox, no problem: a 1 month subscription gets you access to all Bethesda's games and much more on loads of devices besides Xbox. That's their game. So, unless Sony decides to allow a Game Pass app on PS5, I'm willing to bet PeteBrant's other bollock that ES6, Starfield, everything after GhostWire and Deathloop is exclusive to Game Pass.

Gamepass subscriptions are up 50% ..since april...to 15mil...yep...

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/21/21449219/xbox-game-pass-15-million-subscribers-microsoft-growth

2 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

I don't buy it. You don't spend a generation repairing your image, bringing down walls around platforms and talking about games being available to everyone, everywhere, then turn round and go 'fuck you, we bought it'. Minecraft is everywhere, MCC and Grounded are on Steam, they publish games on Switch. They've spent the past five years portraying a certain image of themselves that I think would be enormously undermined by suddenly taking one of the most revered RPG series off other platforms by brute financial force.

I suppose the counter to this is that even with all that fuzzy corporate PR image stuff they have still spent the last five years getting the shit kicked out of them commercially by two rivals that have built up extremely strong premium exclusive brands.

Brands so strong that despite Microsoft chucking hundreds of games at consumers for a paltry pound, in the past week alone one of these competitors was able to sell out its console immediately after merrily informing its customers that it would charge them £70 a game, while the other made an absolute fortune charging £50 for bare bones emulations of a set of three old titles.

Microsoft need that kind of brand for their vision to take off and one day actually make money. The service can’t do it on its own. Exclusive Fallout and Elder Scrolls can. 

16 minutes ago, Blunt said:

only one console owner of the two has commited to release dates

:sherlock:

Even if that wasn't hilarious, what does it fucking matter. It seems it doesn't to PS5 only buyers who go on endlessly about first party games that either have no release date, or haven't even been announced.

It's good that you realise and agree that your initial assertion was a load of rubbish. :) Now onto the goalpost moving.

I'm still no good at paragraphs of text so I'll just do a few points instead.

-It's a proper MEGATON announcement isn't it, not the usual "OMG, this game has exclusive DLC or costumes on platform y, megaton!!!" nonsense. Its the sort of powerplay people have spent the decades since MS announced the original Xbox fantasizing/speculating about and now it has finally happened. Only took twenty years. Hard to know if they are finished either, which is a bit scary. Asobo & Relic still seem like logical additions based on what they are working on. Maybe just buy Konami to twist the knife on the people who have reacted very badly to this. 

-I wonder will we see attempts made to consolidate their development efforts around their own game engines. It didn't work great for EA and Frostbite but could we see Gears 6 running on IDtech instead of UE? 

-Most of the discussion has focused on the console wars stuff but does this make Microsoft the strongest publisher on PC? I can't think of anyone with a studio lineup to rival MS now. Tencent maybe because they secretly own everyone. 

-If they do another Killer Instinct the roster should be good. The protagonists from Arkanes games should be good additions.  

-Remember at the start of the generation when there was speculation MS were looking for a buyer for the Xbox division with Samsung and Amazon mentioned as potential buyers? Seems a whole different world.

-I joked about Stadia earlier but surely Google are going to have to strike back in some way if they want to be taken seriously? Why even bother with that platform right now? 

2 hours ago, Steven said:

And we couldn't get a launch title out for our new console.

I know you jest, but they haven't said they couldn't. It just seems like they're going for an approach we're not used to. 

Not so much on here, more with regards to another forum, but I giggle at some of the hot takes getting written, and boy are some wild, many full of concern for how this sale will negatively effect the industry and its workers, only to see their little Ratchet or Ellie avatar show what's truly the motive for any annoyance.

They don't really give a toss, other than it's some sort of competitor smite.

Weird shit.

1 hour ago, Broker said:

TLOU is nowhere near as expansive or ambitious as an Elder Scrolls or GTA game. 

You have played TLOU2?

It's astonishingly ambitious, huge, and full of unique assets and mechanics. Despite being grimdark and miserable, it really sells the concept of spending an utterly ridiculous amount of money building a game.

It's certainly a lot more expansive and ambitious than Skyrim. Don't mistake "size of world" for "cost to build" or "ambition".

Rockstar is really working in its own genre, and its own budget space.

1 hour ago, Minion said:

Yes and yesterday I was reading on here how Cyberpunk 2077 is a shit game...

Not exactly. Amidst the huge amounts of hyperbole surrounding the game we were trying to nit-pick things we dislike about it from everything that has been shown so far.

• gospvg changed the title to Microsoft acquires Bethesda, id, Arkane MEGATON