Microsoft acquires Bethesda, id, Arkane MEGATON

8 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

:) Anything under 40! 

38 here and definitely still the right age for the class of Carmack. I have fond teenage memories of my mate Chris (RIP) and I going to dark school halls with NIN blasting out of our Discman, setting up our cold cathode lit PC cases to LAN party Quake 3 Arena for 20 hours straight on nothing but 8 litres of red coke and a multipack of Mars bars.

6 minutes ago, Ry said:

I had a look over at ERA. 

Fuck me that place is a nightmare. 

All of a sudden Bethedsa is a shit company who make bad games. 

We did have someone announcing the PS5 as the new Saturn earlier so we’re not entirely the bastion of rational discourse here.

Just now, Sarlaccfood said:

We did have someone announcing the PS5 as the new Saturn earlier so we’re not entirely the bastion of rational discourse here.

Crazy people everywhere to be fair. 

Polygon pointed out that this is quite out of line with the general acquisition strategy, which favours smaller regular releases to improve Gamepass rather than buying giant franchise games. This leads on to the question, is it possible to break even on a game with a budget the size of an elder scrolls game without selling it on as many platforms as possible? 

14 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

I don't buy it. You don't spend a generation repairing your image, bringing down walls around platforms and talking about games being available to everyone, everywhere, then turn round and go 'fuck you, we bought it'. Minecraft is everywhere, MCC and Grounded are on Steam, they publish games on Switch. They've spent the past five years portraying a certain image of themselves that I think would be enormously undermined by suddenly taking one of the most revered RPG series off other platforms by brute financial force.

This deal is about getting Bethesda's back (and future) catalogue on Game Pass, all its IP in the Xbox filing cabinet, and an immensely talented and respected network of studios in the family. It's also just an enormous statement of intent. I honestly think Microsoft is comfortable enough in its own skin at the moment to let Elder Scrolls, Doom et al go on whatever platform because they get paid either way — and really, there's no finer advertisement for Game Pass than a PS5 copy of Skyrim with a £75 price sticker on it.

I dunno. I'm not betting a bollock on it (though I've got two kids and that's at least one too much, so I've nothing really to lose) and I can see it going either way, really. But it would seem a bit off, given what they've spent the Spencer era doing, to suddenly start throwing up walls again. Especially when they're going to win the generation at a canter.

EDIT: Also, if the idea was for these things to be exclusive once existing agreements are met, you'd expect Spencer to come out and say it, what with preorders going live tomorrow and all.

Somebody covered the play anywhere stuff earlier, in that it could/probably/might just mean on mobiles, TVs (at some point), laptops and perhaps the Switch. Not PS5 though. Why would that change now? Selling it on PS5 doesn't lock people into the MS ecosystem - which is what they want - so it doesn't further that strategy in the long term. All it does is allow Playstation owners to keep buying Playstation consoles and does nothing to change the status quo. That wouldn't make any sense.

20 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

I don't buy it. You don't spend a generation repairing your image, bringing down walls around platforms and talking about games being available to everyone, everywhere, then turn round and go 'fuck you, we bought it'. Minecraft is everywhere, MCC and Grounded are on Steam, they publish games on Switch. They've spent the past five years portraying a certain image of themselves that I think would be enormously undermined by suddenly taking one of the most revered RPG series off other platforms by brute financial force.

This deal is about getting Bethesda's back (and future) catalogue on Game Pass, all its IP in the Xbox filing cabinet, and an immensely talented and respected network of studios in the family. It's also just an enormous statement of intent. I honestly think Microsoft is comfortable enough in its own skin at the moment to let Elder Scrolls, Doom et al go on whatever platform because they get paid either way — and really, there's no finer advertisement for Game Pass than a PS5 copy of Skyrim with a £75 price sticker on it.

I dunno. I'm not betting a bollock on it (though I've got two kids and that's at least one too much, so I've nothing really to lose) and I can see it going either way, really. But it would seem a bit off, given what they've spent the Spencer era doing, to suddenly start throwing up walls again. Especially when they're going to win the generation at a canter.

EDIT: Also, if the idea was for these things to be exclusive once existing agreements are met, you'd expect Spencer to come out and say it, what with preorders going live tomorrow and all.

I don't care if Bethesda's continue to release games on the PS5, all I care about is that it stops those games being bloody timed-exclusive for Sony's console. I was really pissed off when Deathloop went exclusive for PS5, as I wanted to play it ASAP on Xbox. More than any other game developer, I look forward to an Arkane Studios game. Because they're the one developer releasing Valve quality single player games on a console.

Now Microsoft have it all, and it's the best fucking news this year.

I do wonder if it’s even possible to make a GTA or Elder Scrolls game with a modern budget unless you’ve got one of those franchises to sell it on. Even then, we’ve just gone an entire generation without a new game from either of those franchises, with nothing else similar appearing.

3 hours ago, Bojangle said:

A fair concern, and a very real one back in the dark Xbox One days. Has this happened to any of their recently released titles?

Spencer's talked a few times that Gamepass is the service.  No need to turn the games themselve to GaaS. Or needlessly long or multiplayer.

39 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

I don't care if Bethesda's continue to release games on the PS5, all I care about is that it stops those games being bloody timed-exclusive for Sony's console. I was really pissed off when Deathloop went exclusive for PS5, as I wanted to play it ASAP on Xbox. More than any other game developer, I look forward to an Arkane Studios game. Because they're the one developer releasing Valve quality single player games on a console.

Now Microsoft have it all, and it's the best fucking news this year.

Yeah this is fair enough. If the upshot of all this is the death of the timed exclusive then I'm all for it. Rotten thing. (It won't be)

40 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Somebody covered the play anywhere stuff earlier, in that it could/probably/might just mean on mobiles, TVs (at some point), laptops and perhaps the Switch. Not PS5 though. Why would that change now? Selling it on PS5 doesn't lock people into the MS ecosystem - which is what they want - so it doesn't further that strategy in the long term. All it does is allow Playstation owners to keep buying Playstation consoles and does nothing to change the status quo. That wouldn't make any sense.

I think my argument is that the acquisition itself, and all that stuff being on Game Pass now and at launch and forevermore thereafter, is the sell. Not 'this is the only place you can get this stuff', which is emphatically not the point of Game Pass. It's more a case of 'build it and they will come', rather than 'buy it and force them to'.

I hope I'm right, anyway. Microsoft's whole deal since Spencer took over has been sunshine and good vibes and I hope it doesn't end here.

Can't wait and see what MS studios have in store in the first wave of 'real' next gen titles and new IPs. It's going to be chaos in 24 months time when they start hitting, just in time for game pass renewals.

What 'edge' does Sony have now? Third person action games?

1 hour ago, Nate Dogg III said:

So why aren't all first party MS games released on PlayStation?

35 minutes ago, Broker said:

I do wonder if it’s even possible to make a GTA or Elder Scrolls game with a modern budget unless you’ve got one of those franchises to sell it on. Even then, we’ve just gone an entire generation without a new game from either of those franchises, with nothing else similar appearing.

I’m pretty sure it isn’t possible to make money on a single platform game with an infinite budget.

Have you similar genuine concerns about the amount of money it cost Sony to create TLOU2?

(this purchase does put that halo infinite spend in perspective: but there’s a hell of a lot of videogame IP tied up in Bethesda)

6 hours ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Bill Gates I know you are reading this. Please retire Todd Howard and hire Obsidian and make Fallout great again. 

Spoiler

I know you are lurking here....BILL :angry:

1 hour ago, Nate Dogg III said:

This is all well and good (although "MS win this generation at a canter" is the worst take I've heard on the forum in a while), but it all falls apart with one sentence:

You don't spend $7.5 billion to not gain exclusive properties.

Anybody who thinks the next Elderscrolls or Fallout are coming to PlayStation is absolutely kidding themselves. The 'sunshine and rainbows' is PR. Microsoft are in this to become the dominant gaming platform AND service - it's not solely a service play.

• gospvg changed the title to Microsoft acquires Bethesda, id, Arkane MEGATON