WandaVision - 15 January 2021

29 minutes ago, Harsin said:

It would be nice if more people focussed more on sharing why they liked it instead of making up reasons why people who didn’t like these two episodes on their own merits quite as much as them were wrong.

I was drunk last night, hence the shit posts and I apologise 

I hope they lean a bit more into depicting the confusing horror of a nightmare. Not quite Don't Hug Me I'm Scared, but moving in that direction. I suppose that's a bit much to expect from a Marvel series though!

Apparently episode 3 is the episode that ties the other two episodes together like Jeff Lebowski's rug, which makes it a bit daft they didn't do an initial drop of 3 episodes instead of 2.

I enjoyed the first two episodes. It's very well observed, and while not that funny I found it all gently entertaining. The mystery is also just enough so far to be intriguing.

4 hours ago, Harsin said:

Apparently episode 3 is the episode that ties the other two episodes together like Jeff Lebowski's rug, which makes it a bit daft they didn't do an initial drop of 3 episodes instead of 2.

It is strange because it sounded like the critics got three episodes.

Apparently a big Easter Egg I missed  (which I just saw in a Den of Geek article) was the Wine Bottle in the first episode that is used for the dinner scene.

Spoiler

It is a bottle of red from a label called Maison Du Mepris along with a large "M" on the neck of the bottle so... House of M?

I do wonder if they are looking at bringing an MCU Magneto into this. More and more talk of Mutants appearing in MCU now that Marvel has the X-Men rights back. It could of course just be a clever nod to the comic storyline that influenced this as well.

I don’t think we’ll be getting that character introduced - yet. Long term in the MCU? Absolutely. 

but do I expect this to follow the basic premise of that plot? 100%

Spoiler

Wanda creates a fake reality to retreat to after her cumulative traumas (Stark/Parents, Strucker,/Experiments, Ultron/Pietro, Thanos/Vision) overwhelm her, causing harm in the real world and escalating to a world changing event? Yep. I expect the Dr Strange sequel and possibly Spider-Man 3 to be dealing with the fallout, if you believe the latest MCU rumours.

I really like how thoroughly they have committed to doing 1950s/60s style comedies with just a soupçon of some underlying mystery so far. I could just watch those two get in to dumb misunderstandings and crack toe curlingly obvious jokes about their main superhero characteristics. Admittedly probably not what they’re shooting for.

Don't know what to make of it. 

I mean, I didn't love it but didn't hate it. 

I think the main appeal for me personally is seeing where it goes and what the big mystery is. That's basically the reason I'm watching. 

Spoiler

My general guess is basically Sword are involved and Wanda is probably the one behind the simulation as she misses Vision. Or at the very least Sword are trapping her in this simulation because she's a liability and too powerful to control by other means? 

Some odd takes for me.

Spoiler

It’s a sitcom pastiche, but a sitcom pastiche from the perspective of someone who’s only watched them and hasn’t understood, which makes perfect sense given I assume most of us understand this as being Wanda’s “happy” reality.

Hence Kathryn Hann’s character reappearing multiple times in the kitchen in episode one, the very condensed ending to the dinner scene, the neighbourhood cuckoos in episode two., etc.

I really liked Drunk Bettany’s magic act. Is this your card?

along with “he’s a communist!”

I'm always pissed when watching Marvel stuff and this is no exception. Loved it! I dream of Genie with dark undertones. 

It's amazing how good of a job they've done with it and yeah it acts as a milestone in how TV has moved on plus giving a knowing, creepy vibe to it all.

The first two episodes as presented on their own are trying to make the audience feel smart for getting the references, and encourage them to be defensive against criticising those that don’t. That’s all it is. Oh the toaster said Stark? You recognise the Sword logo and read something about that in a buzzfeed tweet 5 years ago for an article you didn’t read?

I’m looking forward to where it’s going, but it’s mainly because I’m already bought in and they know it.

Enjoyed that

Spoiler

a healthy dose of Bewitched and the mystery of what’s actually going on. Loved Bettany’s drunk magician. Nice for him to be able show some completely different sides to the character. Also great to see Emma Caulfield in something decent again.

I loved this. I was going to wait until it was all out but had an hour free this morning so I decided to give it a go. I didn’t like Endgame much and have felt pretty burned out and bored of the MCU, but this is just what I was hoping for, something noticeably different. 

I really like the focus on the two leads. They’ve both always been under-utilised in the main MCU stuff, and I’m happy to see them get more exploration and focus because they’re both so much more interesting than another punching dude. 

The production is incredible, getting the visual quality and style spot on, along with the title sequences and other bits. I really loved the special effects in the first episode with the floating items clearly on strings and the camera jump when she made stuff appear. I wonder if it’s helpful to have watched a lot of the stuff it’s inspired by? I used to watch Bewitched and other old sitcoms with my grandma a lot when I was younger, so maybe that helps with appreciating the effects and camera work.

I’m less enthused about the overall mystery, I really hope there’s not too much MCU stuff, I’d much prefer a whole season like these two episodes. What really worked for me was how sad parts of it were, if only for a second. At the end of both episodes you could see Wanda grappling with the veracity of this reality and it felt genuinely sad, because I’m assuming this won’t end well. That was reinforced at the end of the second episode, and the sense of tension and unease was really there. I’m excited for the next one.

On 16/01/2021 at 08:38, krenzler said:

I thought the rewind and Wanda's reaction before that was a big clue? Unless you're not sure of her powers of course. I think it's based on the comic House of M but I've been intentionally avoiding reading up on that. 

There’s a possibility that one major plot point is what’s happening here, which is what people have speculated above, but it’s really nothing like house of m. I really hope this isn’t their idea of an adaptation of that because there’s a lot they could do with it and I’d love to see a real adaptation of it. 

On 16/01/2021 at 12:06, krenzler said:

Yeah if so they should at least have released the first 3 at once. Less risk of losing a lot of viewers perhaps.

I don’t think they’re going to lose any viewers. It’s the first MCU thing in over a year.

Meh. Bar

Spoiler

Drunk magician Vision

It just wasn't funny enough to. Hold my interest, and two whole episodes without really very much over arching plot is a lot. Hoping it picks up a bit. 

46 minutes ago, Don Wiskerando said:

I don't think it was meant to be funny, more a nod back to things that used to be considered funny.

If you're looking for comedy, other than the setting,  you've come to the wrong place.

Then it's just a series of "Do you get it? Do you get it? Do you get it?" references.

Again, I look forward to where it goes and I'm in for the ride, but the first two episodes are dressed up Family Guy.

17 hours ago, womblingfree said:

I didn’t get any references, I just thought it was fun, interesting, unsettling at the right points and made me want to see what happens next.

Yep, my wife (my regular touchstone for “normal people”) barely remembers who those characters are, I had to remind her what happened to both of them in Endgame. She thought it was a fun nod to the old sitcoms she used to watch on as daytime channel 4 repeats as a kid, with some compelling weird bits. That’s kind of it. The corny cute bits were entertaining and the weird dark bits were entertaining. 

As for comedy, a few lines landed for me, most were not particularly memorable but “that dress is so...kovia!” And “good news costs more” both raised a chuckle. Wife laughed a lot more, but I’m more into wordplay whereas she’s more into “people saying generally amusing things to each other”. She laughs all the way through Schitts Creek for example and I can’t even spot the jokes. 

I admire the talent on display here and I'm prepared to go with it for maybe one episode more but in and of itself, it's dull as dishwater.  There's no lazers coming out of his face, no sinister overtones.  The payoff won't be worth it and I think many of the references on me are a bit lost (despite buying comics that I actually bag and board some times).

Needs more face lazers out of 10.

6 hours ago, Don Wiskerando said:

I don't think it was meant to be funny, more a nod back to things that used to be considered funny.

If you're looking for comedy, other than the setting,  you've come to the wrong place.

If you aren't going to bother to advance the plot, and are going to do episodes that are a homage to a 1950s sitcom instead - then you kind of need to be funny. Especially as some of those older sitcoms are actually funny. 

If it's just world building, a single episode is more than enough.