WandaVision - 15 January 2021

I know we all figured everything out because we're great, but the characters in the show needed to as well, and seeing as they're part of the show it stands to reason we'd see them figuring it out.

46 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

Yes, that’s what I think. 

Apparently at one point Endgame was meant to have an after credits scene of someone removing Vision's body from a mortuary style body drawer.

Thinking as the shows budget is $200m+ and the comment from Bettany that it's more like 3x3 episodes I can see this go full OTT in the last 3 - tying it proper to the movies (SM3, DrSt2 or whichever) and introducing some big bad.

1 hour ago, Super Craig said:

Thanos destroyed the stones and there wasn’t a hope in hell of being able to bring anyone back until 5 years later when Ant-man came back. Why would anyone be thinking about how they would use the stones to bring people back when there were no stones?

My chances of winning the lottery are as close to zero as you can get given the overall odds and the fact that I don't actually buy a ticket. Guess what I've thought about in a reasonable amount of detail on more than one occasion.

5 minutes ago, Exidor said:

My chances of winning the lottery are as close to zero as you can get given the overall odds and the fact that I don't actually buy a ticket. Guess what I've thought about in a reasonable amount of detail on more than one occasion.

You’re able to buy a lottery ticket and you’re able to win. As far as they know, they’re not able to get the Infinity Stones because they don’t exist any more. It’s not impossible that any of them have thought about it, but unlikely. They hadn’t even worked out who was going to use the gauntlet until right before they were going to do so.

37 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

You’re able to buy a lottery ticket and you’re able to win. As far as they know, they’re not able to get the Infinity Stones because they don’t exist any more. It’s not impossible that any of them have thought about it, but unlikely. They hadn’t even worked out who was going to use the gauntlet until right before they were going to do so.

it’s a strange hill to die on this. There was more than enough time for Hulk even from when they first though of the plan to recover the stones to the moment of the blip. Are you suggesting the never figured out what they were going to do with the stones once they got them?  The point of the whole plan was to bring people back. Just because they hadn’t decided who was going to use the gauntlet doesn’t mean they hadn’t a plan.

Iron Man even says he's been trying to figure out time travel and its impossible. Its not till Ant Man shows up and fills in the gaps thats hes able to figure it out.

Edit

Sorry I think I got a bit lost there. But yeah, there's plenty of time for them to work out who does what and how they bring people back.

2 hours ago, Welrain said:

it’s a strange hill to die on this. There was more than enough time for Hulk even from when they first though of the plan to recover the stones to the moment of the blip. Are you suggesting the never figured out what they were going to do with the stones once they got them?  The point of the whole plan was to bring people back. Just because they hadn’t decided who was going to use the gauntlet doesn’t mean they hadn’t a plan.

I abandoned the hill because my IQ was too large for it......

I haven’t picked a hill to die on or anything ridiculous like that. And my IQ is fine, thanks.

At the start of the film, they find out where Thanos is. Captain Marvel just decides that she’s going after him on impulse and the rest tag along. The plan seems to be “get the stones, bring everyone back”. Looks like they’d figure out the logistics afterwards. This is fine.

We get a 5 year time skip. I’m sure that everyone was looking at alternate ways of bringing people back including time travel, but they all hit a dead end. The idea that Hulk is sitting around thinking about how he would use the stones that don’t exist in the same way that the doctor would be dreaming about buying a gold stethoscope with his lottery win is daft. Especially given that he had to figure out what was going on with himself.

Ant-man comes back and the time heist idea goes into motion. You can see them planning out the heist and the only thing mentioned about how they’d use the stones is that they were just bringing everyone back without changing what had happened. Tony didn’t want to lose his daughter.

They get the stones and the gauntlet is built then they talk about who is going to do the snap and Tony Stark has to remind Hulk about what he was asking for. The way that it was presented in the film doesn’t suggest that the actual snap was this well thought out plan. They were more focused on getting the stones. They didn’t even have a plan for what would happen with the stones afterwards and Hulk had to relay that during the final battle.

If you disagree, fine.

5 hours ago, Super Craig said:

They didn’t even have a plan for what would happen with the stones afterwards and Hulk had to relay that during the final battle.

They weren’t expecting a final battle and didn’t understand what would happen when they removed the stones until The Ancient One told the Hulk in mission.  Just because you don’t see it on screen doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened...a 30 min meeting about the logistics of bringing folk back would have hampered the time line somewhat.  Have faith that the most intelligent beings on the planet would have had a think about it.

Anyway I think that’s enough from me on this subject.  *snaps fingers*

6 hours ago, Super Craig said:

I haven’t picked a hill to die on or anything ridiculous like that. And my IQ is fine, thanks.

Yes you have, and are you sure? ;)

7 hours ago, Super Craig said:

They get the stones and the gauntlet is built then they talk about who is going to do the snap and Tony Stark has to remind Hulk about what he was asking for. The way that it was presented in the film doesn’t suggest that the actual snap was this well thought out plan. They were more focused on getting the stones. They didn’t even have a plan for what would happen with the stones afterwards and Hulk had to relay that during the final battle.

Tony Stark reminding the hulk what he was asking for implies an off screen conversation about the logistics of bringing people back.

When the Hulk steps up to take the gauntlet, you can see that he's already thought that he has to be the one to do it, so it's not much of a jump to consider that he has also thought about what he is going to ask for.

Even if he hadn't considered this before it doesn't need much for the hulk to sort, all he had to think was "bring everyone back safely" and the stones would do the rest.

Maybe they should've had it turn out like some Monkey's Paw-style fable where everyone re-apperaed exactly where they were at the time of the snap. Disney could have had a whole series out of that wher a team of agents clear up the messes that occur when people blipped back in front of a bus or into the same space now occupied by someone else. Presumably at least some people will have snapped out of existance part way through having a crap or some other embarrasing moment too. Laughter could ensue in these light-hearted episodes.

It would probably just have meant billions of people suddenly appearing in the vacuum of space because the Earth (and Sun) were in a different part oftheir orbits though.

Add sad trombone sound effect.

I’ve not read comics and I’m happy enough thinking of it as a sort of version of Shield, but with a more space-based or extraterrestrial focus. Works for me until they say something different. 

Which I suppose begs the question of why they are involved here. Is Shield still officially gone at this point? So maybe they’ve taken over Shield duties. Or there’s another aspect to things we’ve not seen yet. 

Lol, didnt realise an innocent question about the blip would derail the thread this much. :D

But yeah, as someone totally unfamiliar with sword, the name alone makes me think they'd be the sort of agency on high alert for sentinels etc, y'know, if not for the whole xmen IP thing.

My cursory knowledge of Marvel comics ends in about 1980 and I thought that was brilliant. I thought the mention of astronauts was a hint towards

Spoiler

the Fantastic Four

but that could be wishful thinking on my part!

3 hours ago, Darren said:

My cursory knowledge of Marvel comics ends in about 1980 and I thought that was brilliant. I thought the mention of astronauts was a hint towards

Reveal hidden contents

the Fantastic Four

but that could be wishful thinking on my part!

I didn’t pick up on that but the spoiler tags are a little cautious. You mean John Krasinski and Emily Blunt?

12 minutes ago, makkuwata said:

I didn’t pick up on that but the spoiler tags are a little cautious. You mean John Krasinski and Emily Blunt?

I don’t know?! As soon as the fella said something about sending up some astronauts I thought hello, that’s going to go wrong, bit of cosmic radiation and then it’s clobberin’ time!

Edit: I should say I don’t pay much attention to the MCU beyond watching the films (and this series) when they come out, so until I just looked it up I hadn’t realised an MCU FF film has been announced. So now I’m even more sure that’s what he was hinting at.

21 hours ago, JohnC said:

I’ve not read comics and I’m happy enough thinking of it as a sort of version of Shield, but with a more space-based or extraterrestrial focus. Works for me until they say something different. 

Which I suppose begs the question of why they are involved here. Is Shield still officially gone at this point? So maybe they’ve taken over Shield duties. Or there’s another aspect to things we’ve not seen yet. 

There was a blink and you miss it explanation at the start. After the blip Rambo Snr refocused them onto robotics, nanotechnology and artificial intelligence banning space mission/exploration. (Because the blip made it too dangerous? It's not really explained)

The reason Rambo Jr was sent to Westview was to use one of their drones (presumably specially developed but the model looked very basic :D). 

There's no been an explanation why SWORD is now investigating the dome etc.

I think you just assume Shield and Sword are tortuously justified cool acronyms and the one's replaced the other, don't you? There's no reason to look deeper into it than that. Plus, "Sentient Weapon" pretty much describes all the superheroes/villains and any strange activity that's clearly directed by an intelligence and not random.