Good supermarket products

stephen129

27 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I never knew this, that is pretty clever for label snobs (which I think I am a bit on occasion). I'd never buy basics blueberries or grapes but 'imperfectly tasty' I've been buying for weeks as assumed from the name they were slightly odd looking but good enough to use in smoothies and I was saving the planet by cutting down on food waste. I felt smug every time I've bought them and look for them above the full price ones !

I'd never stopped to wonder why a blueberry is a basics one, is it appearance or quality, taste etc ?

I genuinely don't know. I'm guessing for fruit and veg it probably comes from the same farms, so maybe there's degrees of grading - these are for the top end range, these are good enough for standard, these are good enough for basics, and the rest get binned, possibly. So, I'd guess it's mostly automated, so size and shape, and maybe appearance?

I'm all for buying the basic stuff on anything simple like fruit and veg, tinned tomatoes and I think flavour-wise they're usually on a par with the regular stuff. I mean - a carrot is just a carrot at the end of the day.

As an aside, one of the things that I liked about the basics range was that I could see if an order I had to pick was full of basics easily, because it was just orange. It meant if I picked another basic product I probably knew with order to put it in, so was marginally faster. Also, it showed where people wouldn't compromise. I'd get orders where 80% of the stuff in it was basics - so they're clearly keen on saving money, there'd be several products in there where there was no basic alternative, but then there'd be a pot of Taste The Difference custard, or some really nice cheese. I only recall ever picking one shop that was entirely basics. That must take some willpower, because the range isn't that comprehensive.

FWIW - the other basics ranges that I recall are - meat and fish products became J. James Butchers, tinned stuff became Hubbard's, chilled products (ready meals etc) became Stamford Street, and cleaning prducts became 24/7.

On 05/10/2021 at 15:03, Bob Sacamano said:

Has anyone ever tried that £10 chicken kiev that M&S do?  Its just one single kiev that you still have to cook yourself, I just cant see how it can be £10.

Is it just one breast? Seems like a hell of a lot of money. 

I also want to know if the fancy £2.50 garlic bread they do is any good. 

On 05/10/2021 at 15:03, Bob Sacamano said:

Has anyone ever tried that £10 chicken kiev that M&S do?  Its just one single kiev that you still have to cook yourself, I just cant see how it can be £10.

Is it part of the meal deal thing they do? Feel like some of that stuff is intentionally higher priced to make the deal seem like good value.

7 hours ago, dizogg said:

Is it part of the meal deal thing they do? Feel like some of that stuff is intentionally higher priced to make the deal seem like good value.

Surely the price was for the whole meal deal rather than just the Kiev. It seems to be on Ocado for £4.25 which makes a lot more sense:

https://www.ocado.com/products/m-s-gastropub-chicken-kiev-516558011

A single kiev for two is stupid.

Where do you cut it. If you do it on a separate plate before putting onto the serving plate then half the content is now lost. If you do it on one of the serving plates then someone gets more than their fair share of the content. And at least one person doesn't get the pleasure of cutting into it and having the filling ooze out.