Good supermarket products

stephen129

18 hours ago, MarkN said:

Bought these on a whim today, after spotting them when someone ordered the product next to them. They're fairly hot, so avoid if that's not your thing. But I'm a big fan of the other spices they've used, and they're not massively over vinegary. Really tasty. I'm, going to go through these at an alarming rate, I think. 

_ponions.jpg.f1c4bb37daa051e0d9895ca3df2649e4.jpg

I must get these.

1 minute ago, Lovelyman said:

I must get these.

I'd be interested to hear what you think. I actually went and read the reviews on the store and they're all over the place. Some complain about the heat, some don't like the spicing, some complain about them being too sweet (I really don't have a sweet tooth, and think they're fine), the rest think they're 5 star-worthy (like me).

• 1 month later...
On 14/04/2021 at 18:19, MarkN said:

I'd be interested to hear what you think. I actually went and read the reviews on the store and they're all over the place. Some complain about the heat, some don't like the spicing, some complain about them being too sweet (I really don't have a sweet tooth, and think they're fine), the rest think they're 5 star-worthy (like me).

As someone who has read a fair number of online supermarket reviews of products, I would largely ignore them. Some of the opinions are completely mental.

I remember one said something along the lines of: "I didn't actually try it. 5 stars"

5 hours ago, stephen129 said:

As someone who has read a fair number of online supermarket reviews of products, I would largely ignore them. Some of the opinions are completely mental.

I remember one said something along the lines of: "I didn't actually try it. 5 stars"

Tesco is full of terrible ones. There always seems to be the same "This was so bad we ended up giving it to the dog and even he didn't want it". Presumably all from the same person. To take the piss I decided to start putting the same review on any booze I bought. Some of the replies were great "WTF is that person really giving their dog gin!!" etc. Sadly Tesco deleted them all and sent me an angry email.

This isn't an image of the actual product as I couldn't find one but Morrisons bakery section now do a 2 pack of ciabatta rolls that look something like these:

05555a79e9851324c45be3f9555bd85b.jpg&f=1

They're amazingly good, light and tasty and a good size too. They're not even a "best ever" product, just run of the mill fresh bread so they're cheap (about a quid or so).

If I bought an artisan sandwich in a fancy deli and it used this bread, I'd be impressed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18/06/2021 at 19:30, dino_jr said:

I presume all 100% peanut butters are the same(ish), so this one from Tesco is cheaper per 100g than the big 1kg tubs from myprotein, meridian etc.

image.jpeg.85cfac261e0ad1c3996cae1f094e61dd.jpeg

Yeah but some taste like crap and some are tasty!

We have settled on Pip & Nut. Have you tried it?

Was very surprised to find hipster alternative milk in Lidl. I'm not vegetarian/vegan so I haven't taste tested all the alternative milks, but I was impressed with the flavour of this. Very happy to drink it instead of cow's milk.

Lidl 

£1.40

image.thumb.png.ebfdd5171462b2e647055b7027414ed2.png

My other half is not only dairy but oat intolerant too - her favourite brand of fake milk is Mylk

ad59aba9e44e4c62b3ad5c957f3651c7.thumbna

I do like a lot of Sainsbury's products, they are often better than the more lauded Waitrose or M&S.

They do a range of thick cut 400g Taste The Difference steaks at the moment, of which the ribeye is the pick. Comes in a less wasteful package too. I've paid a lot for very expensive steak in the past from higher end butchers but for my money this is brilliant value at £8.50. I'm not saying its better than a £40 equivalent but its definitely not 4 times worse and cooks up brilliantly on the BBQ, incredibly juicy and soft as butter - do need to see in person rather than online to get one that is even cut and not too thin at one end, plus it needs to meet your reequirements on the size of the fat eye bit.

300x300.jpg

On 19/10/2020 at 11:08, MarkN said:

Here's a new one. If I wanted a plant-based milk for cooking or tea/coffee I'd use Oatly whole, but as just something nice to drink or for cereal I'd now go with this:

_jord.jpg.39daf993e185377ed94a20951bffc06e.jpg

It tastes like the best milk left over at the bottom of the cereal bowl - like it's had Shreddies stewing in it for a few days, so it's really malty. I was planning on mixing in some Camp coffee to make milkshakes, but it really doesn't need it. I found it in Sainsbury's, but I'd imagine it'll be elsewhere too since it's made by Arla.

This stuff is delicious. Was on sale in Sainsburys for a pound and it's great, but not sure I'd buy it at 2 quid a carton.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, stephen129 said:

Alvalle Gazpacho

£2.50

Sainsbury's

This stuff tastes pretty much exactly the same as what you'd get in a restaurant in Spain. Very nice on a hot day.

640x640.jpg

I mentioned it on the first page, FWIW. It's genuinely perhaps my favourite product ever. It's so very good.  (It's just too expensive for me usually). On sale though, I will go for it. I have a carton on the go right now.  I bought another carton today for use some time later in the month (it keeps for a good while). Usual price is close to four quid, which I baulk at. But, oh my gosh - it's so damned nice. If I had the cash I'd be buying it every week regardless.  As supermarket products go, this is (IMO) the best I've found.

48 minutes ago, MarkN said:

I mentioned it on the first page, FWIW. It's genuinely perhaps my favourite product ever. It's so very good.  (It's just too expensive for me usually). On sale though, I will go for it. I have a carton on the go right now.  I bought another carton today for use some time later in the month (it keeps for a good while). Usual price is close to four quid, which I baulk at. But, oh my gosh - it's so damned nice. If I had the cash I'd be buying it every week regardless.  As supermarket products go, this is (IMO) the best I've found.

I probably bought it subconsciously after your recommendation! I agree at £4 it's a bit steep, but at the current price on offer it's really decent. I might just make it in my Vitamix in future tbh if it's not on offer. 

• 2 months later...

If you like coconut these are really good. Crispy toasted coconut shreds with just a hint of salt to them. They'd be nice without the salt, and it's quite subtle, but it just lifts them so much. I could scoff these all day:

_coconut.jpg.70044bf7be4ace169fb67e7bb7d8fec4.jpg

8 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

I don't know if you can still get these or if they're in new packaging or what, but these are incredible chips and they're practically giving them away. Miles better than the fancy schmanzy ones.

image.png.3df1f5d9bda911f0bacc65fe409bf190.png

They've just been rebranded to these:
300x300.jpg.88ca6536488c3a0099ec055ccd66751e.jpg

The whole Sainsbury's Basics range got rebranded a while back. So the snacks are now branded "Just Snax", the dairy is "Mary Ann's Dairy", the veg is "Imperfectly Tasty" etc. There's loads of them, and the packaging no longer has standard colours, so it's less clear.

16 hours ago, MarkN said:

The whole Sainsbury's Basics range got rebranded a while back. So the snacks are now branded "Just Snax", the dairy is "Mary Ann's Dairy", the veg is "Imperfectly Tasty" etc. There's loads of them, and the packaging no longer has standard colours, so it's less clear.

I never knew this, that is pretty clever for label snobs (which I think I am a bit on occasion). I'd never buy basics blueberries or grapes but 'imperfectly tasty' I've been buying for weeks as assumed from the name they were slightly odd looking but good enough to use in smoothies and I was saving the planet by cutting down on food waste. I felt smug every time I've bought them and look for them above the full price ones !

I'd never stopped to wonder why a blueberry is a basics one, is it appearance or quality, taste etc ?