Good supermarket products

List any particularly good products you've bought at the supermarket. Ideally with a picture, the name of the supermarket where you can get it from and what it costs (at least roughly).

Tesco Finest Sable Grapes

Tesco

£2

These are the best grapes you can get in a normal supermarket imo. Nice and sweet, skin is a bit firm which some people might not like.

image.png.75fe6d7a36965ea0216009d428b7c6cc.png

Smoked Salmon and soft cheese

M&S

£2.50

Easily the best sandwich filler I've ever had. Combine this with some nice bread, maybe a bit of lettuce and some lemon juice and you have an awesome sandwich. 

image.png.8c51fdbf304caf7c06e6171475683324.png

Tean's Gourmet Chicken Curry Paste (Tumisan Kari Ayam)

Most Asian supermarkets

~£1.70

Asian pastes are SO much better than anything you can buy in a Western supermarket. I just fry this one off with some chicken and onions. Top up with water. Let it reduce for a bit. Add any veg you want, potatoes, green beans etc, and then add a can or two of coconut milk.

image.png.ae03d931429e1e114547a9ecd60d3879.png

Dunn's River Jamaican Jerk Seasoning

Tesco, Sainsbury's, Asian supermarkets (usually bigger western supermarkets in the world food aisle)

£2

I've mentioned this stuff before, but it's amazing if you like spicy food. Super flavourful. I mix it with a bit of barbecue sauce and sometimes honey or sugar to tone it down a bit. Marinade some meat and then put it under the grill, or even better on the barbecue.

image.png.1f178e5a033b5757d363eb397ebcd5c9.png

I've considered starting the same thread before now, but never got around to it, so cheers for making up for my laziness. So many products are just OK, it does make me want to celebrate the ones that are genuinely great. Here are a couple from the top of my head:

Clay Oven Naan breads - specifically the large garlic and coriander ones.

Morrison's

£1.50 for 2

These are the best naans I've had outside a restaurant. Huge, tasty, and a great texture. Proper nom!

_naan01.jpg.304b564411afb293aa98fe176287661f.jpg

Naked Glory vegan sausages

Tesco, Morrison's Sainsbury's, probably others...

~£2.75 for 6

TBH I rate Moving Mountains vegan sausages slightly higher flavour-wise, but they're ruinously expensive, so I'll plump for these. They're really very good. There aren't many meat substitutes I'd happily recommend, but these are one of them. You'd fool meat-eaters with these, you really would. (On sale right now at Sainsbury's for £2.)

_sossies.jpg.449073a51189c62a65481ae5dd5d21ee.jpg

Sainsbury's Taste the Difference artisan malt and sunflower seed roll

Sainsbury's (obvs)

45p each

Having a bread machine, I don't buy much bread, but I make an exception for these. I think it's the nicest bread you can get from a supermarket. Seriously tasty. One of these filled with a bit of really good strong cheddar and some onion is one of my very favourite things to scoff.

_roll.jpg.9f9aa42386a78fc537ed342d16c1ffbf.jpg

Custard Choux buns

M&S

£1.75

The choux pastry isn't perfect, but considering it's sitting in the fridge and from a supermarket, these are pretty good. The custard filling is nice and it's a good level of sweetness imo. Also considering it's M&S, the price is very reasonable. I'd expect this kind of quality from an average patisserie in the UK.

image.png.95f6ca14b4a5acb3d8e08a4c0c357082.png

Tesco Finest Lemon Curd

Tesco

£1.90

I love this with Greek yoghurt. This is the kind of thing that would cost £5-£6 in a fancy jar in Borough Market.

image.png.6fbbd7454a96eadb48f0469214f3c3da.png

Tesco Finest Sweet & Fiery Beetroot 180G

Tesco

£1.50, sometimes £1 if on offer

If you like vinegary/pickled things, these are really good.

image.png.6710f3187442d9166295f4538c595004.png

Onken Cherry Yoghurt

Tesco

£1.30, sometimes £1

I find the Onken yoghurts noticeably better than the Yeo Valley ones. I've decided the cherry one is the best, the mango and passionfruit one is also good.

image.png.d6a2747c5dfe2ea77174c2627d5e7d74.png

Tesco Finest Hollandaise

Tesco

£1.20

Doesn't really taste like fresh hollandaise, it's got a much more concentrated flavour. I've made Eggs Benedict with it multiple times though and I think it's good. Pretty shelf stable too (which the fresh version most definitely isn't).

image.png.d6ccbec7e58d1820d82e178cffda0f37.png

2 hours ago, MarkN said:

I've considered starting the same thread before now, but never got around to it, so cheers for making up for my laziness. So many products are just OK, it does make me want to celebrate the ones that are genuinely great. Here are a couple from the top of my head:

Clay Oven Naan breads - specifically the large garlic and coriander ones.

Morrison's

£1.50 for 2

These are the best naans I've had outside a restaurant. Huge, tasty, and a great texture. Proper nom!

_naan01.jpg.304b564411afb293aa98fe176287661f.jpg

This looks interesting. Most packaged naan breads are terrible. I never go to Morrison's though...

2 minutes ago, stephen129 said:

This looks interesting. Most packaged naan breads are terrible. I never go to Morrison's though...

Available at Tesco too, I've just found (will have to check my local Metro, but I'm guessing I'd need to go further to the large store near Warwick). I was looking for the Morrison's review page because it's at 5 stars. I found the Tesco one instead: Again 5 stars.

2 minutes ago, MarkN said:

Available at Tesco too, I've just found (will have to check my local Metro, but I'm guessing I'd need to go further to the large store near Warwick). I was looking for the Morrison's review page because it's at 5 stars. I found the Tesco one instead: Again 5 stars.

I've never seen these at my local Tesco. Would they be on the bread section or Indian section in world food? 

1 minute ago, stephen129 said:

I've never seen these at my local Tesco. Would they be on the bread section or Indian section in world food? 

In Morrison's they're in the bread aisle. I will look out for them in Tesco when I'm next there. It's possible they're only stocked by certain stores, I guess?

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a new one. If I wanted a plant-based milk for cooking or tea/coffee I'd use Oatly whole, but as just something nice to drink or for cereal I'd now go with this:

_jord.jpg.39daf993e185377ed94a20951bffc06e.jpg

It tastes like the best milk left over at the bottom of the cereal bowl - like it's had Shreddies stewing in it for a few days, so it's really malty. I was planning on mixing in some Camp coffee to make milkshakes, but it really doesn't need it. I found it in Sainsbury's, but I'd imagine it'll be elsewhere too since it's made by Arla.