Eurogamer: the best games of this gen as voted by critics and devs

The list has actually been compiled by asking these people to list their top 5 games of the gen. Some of these people must believe UC4 is a top 5 game for fucks sake. :blink2:

Anyway no Mario Kart or Odyssey means the list is nonsense and you all know it. 

2 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Really nice list. I agree UC4 seems like an outlier but equally it’s not like it’s a bad game or anything, I enjoyed it a lot (but remember basically none of it). As I’m sure Benny can attest, sometimes these lists get skewed because, I dunno, eight of the 20 people surveyed had a game in like ninth place on their own list and so points just add up. 

Pretty much. Some games are so good they just sort of reach critical mass and always score highly.

Or my palms are greased with the right incentives, obviously.

I don't rate BotW enough to put it that high, but it absolutely belongs on the list. The most criminal thing about that list, for me, is The Witcher 3 being so low - should be be top five. 

How my tastes have diverged from readers of Eurogamer.

I've bought over 400 games this gen, but have only four of that top ten, and couldn't bear one of them - would have traded it in had it been worth doing so.

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

Into The Breach should be like top fucking three that’s for damn sure. 

There's lots of games I haven't played on it (and don't really want to), but Into The Breach needs to be in there. For a bunch of industry people that list is heavy with story-driven games, rather than gameplay-focussed ones. Spelunky's not in there for fuck's sake. My problem's not with the list so much I think, it's with some of the people chosen to pick it. Some great names on there, but plenty of names I don't share opinions with. Such is life though. 

1 minute ago, MarkN said:

There's lots of games I haven't played on it (and don't really want to), but Into The Breach needs to be in there. For a bunch of industry people that list is heavy with story-driven games, rather than gameplay-focussed ones. Spelunky's not in there for fuck's sake. My problem's not with the list so much I think, it's with some of the people chosen to pick it. Some great names on there, but plenty of names I don't share opinions with. Such is life though. 

Spelunky wasn't this generation. 

9 minutes ago, MarkN said:

Yeah, I mean who can begrudge them but I wouldn’t mind if they ignored BoTW etc. and just focussed on stuff that maybe doesn’t get enough attention, or deserves more anyway. 

15 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah, I mean who can begrudge them but I wouldn’t mind if they ignored BoTW etc. and just focussed on stuff that maybe doesn’t get enough attention, or deserves more anyway. 

But then they wouldn’t get the clicks 

50 minutes ago, MarkN said:

Most games in that list aren't story driven though.

Also, it's weird to say they should have picked different people because their opinion doesn't align with yours, as if their opinion is less valid.

2 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Most games in that list aren't story driven though.

The Witcher 3, Nier Automata, Uncharted 4, Titanfall 2, Kentucky Route Zero, Outer Wilds, Bloodborne, Breath of the Wild are all games I'd describe as story-driven. There's an underlying story that you can complete. That's how most players would consider the game "finished" - to drive the story to the end. Most players will put the game down at that point. Admittedly, defining games like that is reductive, and there's lots of replay potential in many etc. But they're by no means Tetris Effect which you only ever play to play. And if you're playing Into The Breach for the story you're definitely doing it wrong.

44 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Well, they asked people about what they thought are the best games of this gen, not the most underrated ones. :)

It's a pretty diverse list as it is, showcasing both the quality and variety in gaming this gen.

17 minutes ago, MarkN said:

The Witcher 3, Nier Automata, Uncharted 4, Titanfall 2, Kentucky Route Zero, Outer Wilds, Bloodborne, Breath of the Wild are all games I'd describe as story-driven. There's an underlying story that you can complete. That's how most players would consider the game "finished" - to drive the story to the end. Most players will put the game down at that point. Admittedly, defining games like that is reductive, and there's lots of replay potential in many etc. But they're by no means Tetris Effect which you only ever play to play. And if you're playing Into The Breach for the story you're definitely doing it wrong.

Almost every game has a underlying story though. Would you call Super Mario story-driven? I'd say games like Bloodborne, BotW, Outer Wilds and TF2 are defined by their game design more than anything. Even Nier Automata, which is a very philosophical game, is also very much gameplay-driven.

I'd say a story-driven game is a game in which the story is the main focus, which isn't the case for most games.

I am amazed that there’s so little multiplayer stuff in there. Both Destiny and PUBG have defined this generation more than most of the stuff on that list, but I think journalists are much more prone to playing a hundred games for review and dropping everything after a month. 

9 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Almost every game has a underlying story though. Would you call Super Mario story-driven? I'd say games like Bloodborne, BotW, Outer Wilds and TF2 are defined by their game design more than anything. Even Nier Automata, which is a very philosophical game, is also very much gameplay-driven.

I would say Super Mario is story-driven, because it's not about pure gameplay. I've spent a lot of my life as a game designer, and perhaps I see things differently to most folk, but if there's a story there compelling the player to complete it then I call that story-driven (for the most part). And by story I'm being loose, but if the game has a plot that leads to an end that would cause most people to consider it finished then that's probably what I'm talking about.

I'm not saying I'm right BTW, it's just the way I class things.

Of that list Threes is clearly not story-driven, and Slay The Spire isn't, because any story that is there is there to get you to engage with the game mechanics. There are great game mechanics in most of the games on that list, but they're things that people do to finish the game (story). Most folk will not replay any game on that list other than Threes or Slay The Spire. Compare that to Tetris Effect, Into The Breach, Civilization 6 etc. which are gameplay-driven, and most people who like them will replay endlessly.

10 minutes ago, MarkN said:

I would say Super Mario is story-driven, because it's not about pure gameplay. I've spent a lot of my life as a game designer, and perhaps I see things differently to most folk, but if there's a story there compelling the player to complete it then I call that story-driven (for the most part). And by story I'm being loose, but if the game has a plot that leads to an end that would cause most people to consider it finished then that's probably what I'm talking about.

I'm not saying I'm right BTW, it's just the way I class things.

Of that list Threes is clearly not story-driven, and Slay The Spire isn't, because any story that is there is there to get you to engage with the game mechanics. There are great game mechanics in most of the games on that list, but they're things that people do to finish the game (story). Most folk will not replay any game on that list other than Threes or Slay The Spire. Compare that to Tetris Effect, Into The Breach, Civilization 6 etc. which are gameplay-driven, and most people who like them will replay endlessly.

Well, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but my definition of story-based is a different one, as explained above. I play games like Mario, Hitman, Devil May Cry and others for their gameplay, not their story. :)

Also, I should add that I was on my fourth Bloodborne playthrough before I got hit with a bug that stopped me from progressing. ;)

26 minutes ago, Broker said:

I am amazed that there’s so little multiplayer stuff in there. Both Destiny and PUBG have defined this generation more than most of the stuff on that list, but I think journalists are much more prone to playing a hundred games for review and dropping everything after a month. 

I should stop grinding this axe, but multiplayer is about gameplay, not story...

For the sake of it:

1. Noita

2. Bloodborne

3. Into the Breach

4. The Witness

5. INSIDE

5. Slay the Spire

6. Nex Machina

7. MGS V

8. Baba Is You

9. Half-Life: Alyx

10. PES Series

Guaranteed I've missed a couple I'd slap my head over, but that's not far off. Haven't owned a Switch.

2 minutes ago, Broker said:

@MarkNI can’t understand how you could boss soft slay the spire as non story driven as the story just compels gameplay but put Mario games down as story driven. Nobody has ever played a Mario game for the story.

"Story" is a tricky word. Maybe "journey" is better. Most folk play Mario for the journey. They do it once. Gamers will obviously revisit it, and seek out all the shinies etc., but most folk will go from start to end, and be done with it. Very few people play Slay The Spire once, and think they're done. They go back again, and again, and again. They're not doing that for the story. They're doing that to find better builds. To find new ways of playing old ones. To find new and exciting scrapes to get into and out of given the hands they've been dealt. If you play a Mario game you're getting the same thing every time. It's been scripted to be the same journey every time.

12 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Mario Odyssey is a weird one. It's obviously the ultimate refinement of the Mario template but it's weirdly forgettable. 

That's an odd spelling of "devastatingly brilliant". 

I think Galaxy's better, but it's damn close.