Eurogamer: the best games of this gen as voted by critics and devs

Just now, Grobbelboy said:

Easily could have swapped more than half of that list with The Last Guardian, Hollow Knight, Mario Odyssey and MGS V, but it’s not the worst list either 

Some of these, like Hollow Knight and TLG, are in the honorable mentions at least.

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

Mario Odyssey is a weird one. It's obviously the ultimate refinement of the Mario template but it's weirdly forgettable.

I think it’s bloody marvellous, easily one of the best games this gen. 

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I think it’s bloody marvellous, easily one of the best games this gen. 

Never said it wasn't, it's just weirdly forgettable for me (others have said the same in the thread I think).

Still more deserving than Uncharted fucking 4.

3 minutes ago, Halo said:

I find it interesting that the only multiplayer game on there is Titanfall 2 - and I imagine even that is only included because of its single-player campaign rather than its online component.

From the write-ups it seems it's mostly because of the SP, yeah.

Rami Ismail: "Titanfall 2 is a genuine tour-de-force by a developer that had everything to lose and everything to prove. Even years after release, the game holds up in terms of action design, and it is still staggering in how varied and diverse the gameplay is, how well the narrative and the mechanics intersect, and how genuinely good everything feels."

Ralph Fulton: "For me, Respawn were the developer of the generation and this was their peak - the most constantly inventive single-player experience of the generation by far.

Heather Alexandra: "First-person shooters have gone through a miniature renaissance in the last five years or so, largely thanks to retro 'boomer shooters' like Dusk or Amid Evil. However, there've been a few genuinely amazing games in the AAA space as well, and Titanfall 2 is both the best of the bunch and the most underappreciated. Everything players take for granted while playing Apex Legends was perfected here. Combat is quick and beautiful in ways that even the Doom revivals can't compete with. The solid core comes with some of the most memorable levels of the last decade. Titanfall 2 is the truest modern successor to Half-Life and I'd much rather play this than pretty much anything else out there today."

I don't think it's better than Id's recent DOOM games mechanically though, but it does have lots of clever ideas.

Respawn is a tremendous studio period.

We're including the Wii u but not the Switch? In that case, where's Nintendoland? One of the most overlooked gems in recent history. There is so much in that game, so much creativity and technical wizardry it's almost overwhelming. The ninja throwing stars game is sorcery of some kind and the depth hidden in the Zelda, Metroid and Pikmin games is completely unexpected. And don't get me started on the fun to be had in Mario Chase or The Animal Crossing fruit game. It always saddens me that this got such derision from so many quarters.

Oh, yeah, and where's Zombi U? One of the most terrifying games in recent memory.

Uncharted 4 was overblown dogshit and, as others have said really stands out as a disagreeable choice, but bar that that's not too bad a bad list. Most surprising is the lack of TLOU2.

My favourite three games of the gen are in there - Bloodborne, Titanfall 2 and BOTW. 

I do think some folks here are a bit too harsh when it comes to UC4. I wouldn't have included it either, but I do think it's better than most games. As a TPS it's one of the best out there and somewhat underrated by some of you, and in terms of presentation, dialogue and performances it's certainly near the top. Also had the best set-piece of this gen. Lost Legacy is better, mind.

18 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Even then the mp is astonishingly good and, relatively speaking, very inventive.

I doubt that's why it was included, though.

Titanfall MP discussion:

Spoiler

I thought its multiplayer was OK - I really liked the first one and thought it was a clear downgrade from its predecessor. I found the sequel's mechanics far less fun and didn't like the new maps (and the ported Titanfall 1 maps, while better than the new ones, weren't adapted for the new mechanics so didn't play as well - Angel City in particular).

Just now, Halo said:

I doubt that's why it was included, though.

Titanfall MP discussion:

Reveal hidden contents

I thought its multiplayer was OK - I really liked the first one and thought it was a clear downgrade from its predecessor. I found the sequel's mechanics far less fun and didn't like the new maps (and the ported Titanfall 1 maps, while better than the new ones, weren't adapted for the new mechanics so didn't play as well - Angel City in particular was bad for this).

Oh aye it was cleared up a few posts ago. Bloody should have been taken into consideration though, it's fantastic.

Nice that Tom Francis thought of @Mr Do 71 ;)

Dishonored 2

Tom Francis: "Games with rich systems, inventive abilities, and emergent outcomes haven't been in short supply this generation. But something magical happens when you have all those things in a first-person stealth game. When you're in the world, alive to it, afraid of it, creeping through its rafters and concocting a plan to break it to your design. Dishonored 2 achieves that like nothing else, in a world that feels captivating and distinct. And in a genre about giving you interesting spanners to throw into interesting machines, Domino is the most versatile and delightful tool we've ever seen. Link anyone to anyone, and their fates are shared. It opens up a world of strange tricks with double-kills, dropkills and doppelgangers, but the icing on the cake is how it interacts with scripted moments. Karnaca is bristling with scenes of cruelty and murder, and Domino makes it more than passive worldbuilding. Once you see what's going to happen, you can quietly link the bully to his victim - and wait."

Very vanilla, very predictable.

Even the "best of the rest" section is dull.

If you look at the panel, it's mostly critics and writers.

Will be keeping an eye out for Vlambeer's "Nuclear Throng". I must have missed that one.

The only game I really rate on that list is Slay The Spire, and even then, it shouldn't be on that list.

It's good, but one of the best games of the last 12 years? Nah.

Having said all that, my top ten list would be so wrong that I'd probably end up disagreeing with it myself.

There, I've commented on a click bait list article on the internet. Who knows what the rest of the day might bring!

3 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Will be keeping an eye out for Vlambeer's "Nuclear Throng". I must have missed that one.

The only game I really rate on that list is Slay The Spire, and even then, it shouldn't be on that list.

Having said all that, my top ten list would be so wrong that I'd probably end up disagreeing with it myself.

There, I've commented on a click bait list article on the internet. Who knows what the rest of the day might bring!

You think a list with Outer Wilds, Kentucky Road Zero and Threes is vanilla and predictable? 

Also, games like Bloodborne and BotW probably make every best of gen list because they should. 

8 minutes ago, Marlew said:

It's an aggregate of a wide range of opinions. The overlap is the top ten list. 

Yeah, that's the problem with these things, the more people on the panel, the less interesting the results.

I'd rather see separate lists from the individual people.

Uncharted 4 absolutely belongs on that list, maybe not quite so high, but definitely belongs there. The amount of posts lamenting its inclusion is somewhat amusing.

I'm a touch surprised Destiny isn't on there, but then it did come out for PS3 and 360 as well, so maybe doesn't qualify. 

Edit: I see Destiny got an honourable mention. :)

1 hour ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Well, the only way is up!

I like how Zelda is better than Uncharted, like there is a way to compare such different games.

These lists mean nothing because the logic behind them is broken. You can't compare such different styles of gameplay in any logical manner. People who make these lists certainly need a wake up call on how to approach these things, like trying broader terms like "most important games for the industry" and finding ways to at least make comparisons in ways which make sense, like how they moved the industry forward in design, tech, writing, etc. 

What a load of bollocks.

Really nice list. I agree UC4 seems like an outlier but equally it’s not like it’s a bad game or anything, I enjoyed it a lot (but remember basically none of it). As I’m sure Benny can attest, sometimes these lists get skewed because, I dunno, eight of the 20 people surveyed had a game in like ninth place on their own list and so points just add up. 

I’d have personally preferred a list of just developers, they tend to have much more interesting perspectives and we naturally don’t hear from them as much as we do the critics. But overall, given how often these kinds of lists go horribly wrong, really nice stuff. 

I've personally enjoyed most of that list and would wholeheartedly agree with 1&2. As much as I've enjoyed Groove Coaster Wai Wai Party, or 51 Worldwide Games or Battlefield V, there's no way they're the best games of the gen. 

I’ve played through Uncharted 4 two or three times, and while the undercooked climax and the LoTR-style multiple endings go on a bit, the rest is wonderful. The combat is so well done - it ebbs and flows, and you get these beautiful little action movie narratives that emerge as it switches between stealth and action and back again over the course of a single encounter. The story and narrative are excellent as well, I really love the atmosphere of the young Drake flashback levels, and the way the game isn’t afraid to use the characters to drive the plot. 

I’m not sure it would make my personal top ten - I’d probably have had the Last of Us 2 in the high-end, character driven third person shooter category - but that’s more due to the sheer number of excellent games this gen. It’s a game I look back on fondly, and I can totally understand why it would be in someone else’s top ten. 

1 hour ago, Talk Show Host said:

I like how Zelda is better than Uncharted, like there is a way to compare such different games.

These lists mean nothing because the logic behind them is broken. You can't compare such different styles of gameplay in any logical manner. People who make these lists certainly need a wake up call on how to approach these things, like trying broader terms like "most important games for the industry" and finding ways to at least make comparisons in ways which make sense, like how they moved the industry forward in design, tech, writing, etc. 

What a load of bollocks.

Most important is subjective as well. It's just people picking their favourite games and EG making an overall list of it. It's why the blurbs and discussion video are more interesting than the list itself.

2 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

What a load of bollocks.

They sound fun ;)