Eurogamer: the best games of this gen as voted by critics and devs

There was just one problem. Last year, we ran a feature series on our games of the decade, curated by the Eurogamer team and very much reflecting our personal tastes and obsessions. With the current generation running from November 2013 to now, there was bound to be an awful lot of overlap. How could we make the new list fresh?

The answer was simple: step out of our bubble, ask some other people what they thought, and see what, if any, consensus might form. So we assembled a panel of 19 game developers, critics and journalists - some of our favourite people in the games business - and asked each of them to submit a list of their five favourite games released since November 2013. (That was the only restriction: the games could be of any kind and on any platform.) Then we number-crunched the results to produce a top 10.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-18-the-top-10-games-of-the-generation

Top 10:

10. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
9. Threes
8. Nier: Automata
7. Slay the Spire
6. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
5. Titanfall 2
4. Kentucky Route Zero
3. Outer Wilds
2. Bloodborne
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

As always, no one will agree with this, because lists, but there is some good discussion in there and the write-ups from critics and devs like Greg Kasavin and Derek Yu, both of which just released stellar games, are a good read.

I saw The Outer Wilds and was like u wot mate? Then realised I keep getting it mixed up with recent similarly named Obsidian RPG which I found mediocre. I didn't much get on with The Outer Wilds either, but it was one of those games that I could see while I bounced off it other people would adore it.

I can see why U4 is in there. It felt like the high point of that kind of game, and, as much as some bits do go on too long (I swear that Scotland isn't that big to house all those caves) I look back on it and do think it's a very, very good game.

My number 1 and 2 are in line there.

Uncharted 4 was the only game I completed in the past goodness in how long. It was super fun not too long and looked simply gorgeous. Totally stupid but it was enough to get me to the end which is quite something. 

A decent list apart from (again) Uncharted 4. Can't argue with the rest of those choices. I'm pleased Kentucky Route Zero wasn't overlooked. 

Edit: it's nice to see a good mix of AAA and Indies in there as well. 

I personally think UC4 was less good than The Lost Legacy and especially TLoU2, so I wouldn't have picked it either. Certainly a fine game, but I would rate games like DOOM (Eternal), Prey, The Last Guardian, Astro Bot, Sekiro, The Phantom Pain and The Last of Us 2 above it.

Uncharted 4 isn't anything new though, it's just a third person action adventure game that's had hundreds of millions poured into the development.

It doesn't belong on that list.

Swap it out for DOOM and you have a good list.

Just now, Vemsie said:

I personally think UC4 was less good than The Lost Legacy and especially TLoU2, so I wouldn't have picked it either. Certainly a fine game, but I would rate games like DOOM (Eternal), Prey, The Last Guardian, Astro Bot, Sekiro, The Phantom Pain and The Last of Us 2 above it.

No Resident Evil 2 remake?

Just now, squirtle said:

No Resident Evil 2 remake?

I liked it a lot, but probably less than those other games I mentioned. It was a good gen, there's just so many good games you could pick.

3 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

They included BB and Nier, so I can't complain too much.

Interesting that there's no VR stuff, and no handheld games (my classification of "this gen" would include 3DS and Vita)

Threes is in there.

I find it interesting that the only multiplayer game on there is Titanfall 2 - and I imagine even that is only included because of its single-player campaign rather than its online component.

1 minute ago, Halo said:

I find it interesting that the only multiplayer game on there is Titanfall 2 - and I imagine even that is only included because of its single-player campaign rather than its online component.

Even then the mp is astonishingly good and, relatively speaking, very inventive.