Rayman Creator Michel Ancel Says He's Quit Video Games to Open a Wildlife Sanctuary

Really!

https://www.ign.com/articles/rayman-creator-michel-ancel-says-hes-quit-video-games-to-open-a-wildlife-sanctuary?

Michael Ancel, creator of Rayman and Beyond Good & Evil, has said he's leaving the world of video games to open a wildlife sanctuary - but assured fans that work on Wild and Beyond Good & Evil 2 will continue without him.Posting on Instagram, the director wrote: "Today is very special for me. After more than 30 years, I’ve decided to stop working on video games and fully focus on my second passion : Wild Life ! My new project takes place in the real world and consists in a wild life open sanctuary dedicated to education , nature lovers and ... wild animals."

Addressing his currently ongoing projects, Ancel reassured fans: "Many of you might want to know what will happen to Wild and BGE2. No worries, since many months now the teams are autonomous and the projects are going super well. Beautiful things to be seen soon."

Can't say I blame him.

I mean it's such a wholesome story, thank god it's not....oh no...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-25-new-report-says-michel-ancel-left-ubisoft-amid-investigation-into-his-toxic-behaviour?

Last week, Ubisoft announced that Rayman and Beyond Good & Evil creator Michel Ancel had, after 30 years with the company, left to work at a wildlife sanctuary. A new article from French newspaper Libération has shed additional light on his departure, however, reporting that it followed an investigation into complaints accusing him of toxic leadership.

According to Kotaku, based on its own translation of the Libération article, many of the complaints relate to Ancel's behaviour during the creation of Beyond Good and Evil 2, which is said to be directly linked to game's troubled development. Ancel's management of the project reportedly resulted in constant changes and fluctuations in scope, leading to "an unusual amount of [staff] exhaustion, depression, and burnout".

...In response to a query from Kotaku, Ubisoft confirmed that an investigation into Ancel's behaviour was "ongoing". This process, says Libération, included a multi-hour questioning on the day Ancel left the company, even though Ubisoft omitted news of the investigation from its announcement of Ancel's departure.

Although Ancel spoke to Libération as part of its story, the developer has now posted a new statement to Instagram, declaring the report to be "fake news".

"Take a few people with rage and jealousy and let them speak in the name of hundreds," he wrote, "Publish the news fast so that it combines with sexual harassment from other news at Ubisoft. I this serious? Is this what you expect from a national newspaper. I will fight for the truth because such accusations are a shame. I worked hard on every of my projects and always had respect for the teams".

Ancel goes on to refute some of the papers claims, arguing he can't be accused of toxic management as he wasn't responsible for managing the teams. "I bring a vision," he writes, "and producers and managers decide what to do, when and how. They are powerful people in the making of such a big projects. Why don't the journalist speaks about them?".

He also denies constantly changing his mind, writing, "I've spent years explaining why the city should not be re done from scratch. Hours explaining that characters were good enough and did not need to be redone. Same for planets and all. But sometimes some people in the team changed things despite my advices. Managers are here to solve this".

"The news from Libération contains fake informations revealed by a few people who wants to destroy me and the projects," Ancel concludes, "This can't be done without me fighting every single lines of that news. I've offered the journalist the opportunity to take enough time to look at all the mistakes. Let's see what he will do "

More at the link.

2 hours ago, yashiro said:

He may be a massive cunt but there's little evidence to suggest he's a sexual predator.

They can put that on the back of their game boxes.

I said new hire, not replacement - it's a poke at Ubisoft, not him :)