Averting satan’s whispers - No preorder support group

Between the RTX 3080, Oculus Quest 2, PS5, XSX, their multiple keynotes, as well as a 4K TV upgrade to get the most out them, I was facing a concussive impact in the old pocket-region. Was even contemplating an iPad upgrade.

Thankfully there’s nothing I need right now with the consoles beyond day 1 excitement, the 3080 isn’t as spectacular as I’d primed, I’ve rigorously visualised PC faffing and driver errors and Oculus have facebooked me out of the Quest 2. Apple have also delayed the next iPad Pro.

So while there is an undeniable fomo tension, my bank account is intact, unsullied by any botched/duplicate orders, I’ve no anxiety about whether I’ll have delivery on release day or whether I need to consider cancelling pending orders and so on.

I also feel superior to my previous self (and to some of you if we’re being honest) in that I’ve tamed my impulsivity. I’ll eventually get some of these things but I don’t really need them right now, potentially at a premium. Or do I? This supposed maturity could just be a dulling of nerves or even outright sloth. Anyone else tensely sitting on zero preorders despite the silicon flurry?

2 hours ago, Meat said:

Anyone else tensely sitting on zero preorders despite the silicon flurry?

Yep. I can’t blame people for buying into the new boxes - they look great and each have a “more affordable” option (depending on how you feel about digital game pricing). But right now I don’t know where it would fit in with my existing gaming diet. I still have a bunch of current-gen console things to catch up on, I don’t even own a 4K display, my desktop’s still fine for the PC stuff I play (Destiny and the occasional Steam sale curio) and neither console has an exclusive that I’m massively hyped for. A lot of the trailers looked good, but not day-one-console-purchase good.

As an aside, I’m much more “neutral” in next-gen’s console war - there hasn’t (yet) been a massive fumble on the level of Kaz Hirai’s PS3 showing or those controversial Xbox One decisions, so I could be swayed in either direction. I’m just waiting for the right games to show up...

My purchasing on anything this year hangs entirely on the question of "What will Cyberpunk not run like shit on when it's out?".

Notably, that rules any next gen consoles out until patches roll out. Leaving the One X I bought last year at a relatively modest price, and the PC with a four year old GPU and honestly that's still smashing anything 1080p-to-1440p-ish.

I'm feeling.. alright about it considering CDPR's previous games, but it obviously doesn't help that every PR article generated thus far is naturally running the game on the most disgustingly overpriced computer imaginable.

Launch window on anything these days can get tae fuck, it'll all just be pack-in fodder in a year's time when the prices drop. Unsurprisingly, I didn't give that much of a shit when PS4/XBO came out either, because I was too busy playing the fuck out of Gran Turismo 6 that was in the same launch window. Same energy, tbh.

I wonder if any of these sentiments are us just ageing out of games. I know I’ve internal strife (not cloud lol) about whether I’m allowed to continue to enjoy games as I get older, and take solace from people like Mark Kermode’s continued enthusiasm (albeit worn) in the allied arts.

A 3080/90 sitting under the xmas tree might just be the thing to reignite long lost xmas excitement. It’s certainly going to take at least a £650 purchase for a single component. 

Are we just perpetually chasing something that will never return, unscrambling the egg of youth?

I’m gearing myself up mentally to buy an upgraded version of my Nintendo handheld, as is tradition. I’ll probably be preordering whatever the tweak to the Switch is.

Plenty of exciting games on the way, but they’re mostly cross-gen and I am happy to enjoy them on my existing systems. The smol Xbox is very tempting as a cheap alternative to PS4 Pro but I need to inventory my Xbox 360 library first. PS5 doesn’t have quite enough there to justify having a cyborg spore pod staring back at me from beside my TV all the time.

10 minutes ago, Meat said:

I wonder if any of these sentiments are us just ageing out of games. I know I’ve internal strife (not cloud lol) about whether I’m allowed to continue to enjoy games as I get older, and take solace from people like Mark Kermode’s continued enthusiasm (albeit worn) in the allied arts.

A 3080/90 sitting under the xmas tree might just be the thing to reignite long lost xmas excitement. It’s certainly going to take at least a £650 purchase for a single component. 

Are we just perpetually chasing something that will never return, unscrambling the egg of youth?

Personally, I still dig playing games, and there's still games from this year that make me glad I still play them.

I'd be a liar if I said that I didn't get a lot more selective as we go through the years, however. Shit gets more derivative, Publishers latch onto trends to appease their shareholders, and the bar we expect from our games to delight gets much higher.

On the other hand, I sat down the other month and wiped the cobwebs off of my 3DS just to see if the fucking thing still works (thankfully it does, now that they've stopped making the bloody things). Started up an RPG I only got ten minutes into about four years previous, and proceeded to absolutely pick the bones off of the fucking thing over the course of 50 hours. The magic's still there, if you allow it to happen. But that doesn't necessarily have to be something on the cusp of our industry either, and that's something very important to remember for our hobby.

I used to get in this long winded exchange with someone I knew about the future of gaming, during the twilight of the 360 and PS3 era after being bombarded with EA Online Passes and said guy declaring that videogames were effectively dead and homogenised at that point. In a sense, I did agree - but I considered that it didn't really matter. I argued that even if this hobby got bought up by conglomerates, got so expensive that you could only afford a game a year, if everything just fell the fuck off from another videogame crash.. There's going to be some guy, in a bedroom or shed, who'll end up making something that's fun to play. Could be the next Minecraft, could be the next Bad Rats, but at the same time that doesn't matter when there's people out there that just want to make and play games.

I've lost train of thought, but tbh I'm just waiting to start another do-over in a Diablo-style game I've been playing for the last ten years, so my opinions on playing new games are fucking shit anyway. Oops.

6 hours ago, Gabe said:

I'm so glad I've no interest in the PS5, have a good PC so I don't need an GPU upgrade and have Game Pass to cover the Xbox side of things.

Same :bye:

After going through several generations of consoles I finally ended up sticking with PC. Most people have a console to game on and a shitty computer to browse the internet with, but its better to just do everything on one platform. I will probably buy a PS4 when it has dropped so much in price that its worth less that a loaf of bread, but thats just to have a look at The Las Of Us 2. 

6 hours ago, gooner4life said:

but the bubbles man, think of the bubbles, just pre-order a PS5 and forget the 3080, PC gaming is overrated, my Son tried Fortnite with RTX and DLSS last night on an i9 9900k and 2080Ti and struggled for 70fps

thats because the UE4 implementation is, frankly, fucking shite. See also, mechwarrior, or ghost runner. 

Althought, just using dlss in it could gain some frames lol

On 17/09/2020 at 15:26, gooner4life said:

Microsoft are definitely inspiring more confidence.

I'm going to swerve both i think, this gen is nothing more than another mid gen refresh, no exclusive games the 'next gen' versions are higher res with more shinies.

I'm going to build a new PC, screw them both.

Don't trust this guy his words are built on a bed of lies. He's rllmuks little finger. Lord of the rings worm tongue. 

48 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

thats because the UE4 implementation is, frankly, fucking shite. See also, mechwarrior, or ghost runner. 

Althought, just using dlss in it could gain some frames lol

It had DLSS on, at performance (30% native res) it was getting a jittery 110fps with it off it was getting 30fps and dropped as low as 12fps @ 1080p, i dont know how anyone expects the new consoles to run full raytracing at 4k at anywhere close to 60fps tbh.

2 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

It had DLSS on, at performance (30% native res) it was getting a jittery 110fps with it off it was getting 30fps and dropped as low as 12fps @ 1080p, i dont know how anyone expects the new consoles to run full raytracing at 4k at anywhere close to 60fps tbh.

nah, i mean, JUST use dlss! as in for the extra frames, and leave rtx off.

but yeah, its really shit in ue4, not optimised in any way at all

1 minute ago, 5R7 said:

nah, i mean, JUST use dlss! as in for the extra frames, and leave rtx off.

but yeah, its really shit in ue4, not optimised in any way at all

He doesn't need DLSS with Raytracing off, he gets 600+fps on epic settings, but he plays on capped 240 and low settings anyway (competitive settings) 

3 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

He doesn't need DLSS with Raytracing off, he gets 600+fps on epic settings, but he plays on capped 240 and low settings anyway (competitive settings) 

try just refelctions, it shouldnt have quite the effect. If you turn it all on EU4 does some...interesting...things.

plus reflections, could give an actual advantage, see sombody coming lol

I've setup a stick notification at Amazon for PS5.   The demon souls talk got be all excited but then I've just played Dark Souls 3 and come away.....not hugely excited.  I think I need to come to terms with the fact that I don't play a huge amount of games and I should just plod along on the base Xbox and PS4 (and Switch) and be happy.   Hop onto next gen next year.  But then I see the all access deals and think maybe I DO deserve a Series X.  Plus it's my birthday in November so I should by ONE next gen console for myself right?

I'm fucking awful for buying any old shit which flashes and whistles but I have to say I've been pretty nonplussed with the last week. I spent about two minutes deciding not to update my Quest, about the same for a 3080 (although I'll be getting a card above that in the new year) and the new Xbox wasn't even a consideration, don't even care or know if that has opened pre-orders. That's to do with the point regarding the RTX 3080 as I have a beastly PC that will probably outperform both next gen machines even without upgrading, plus I have Game Pass Ultimate up the whazoo thus a new Xbox is pointless.

I did ponder the PS5 for longer but only due to Demon's. I know they claim the coming to PC trailer was a mistake but hmm. I'll be getting one in the new year though.

On the phone and  tablet side I did let the inner whisper get to me, upgraded to an S20 Ultra and recently bought an Ipad Pro 12.9" specifically for reading Edge on the bog. My 10.1" android tablet wasn't keeping up with my old eyes.

38 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Do Bluepoint have a reputation for tampering? I don’t think I’ve played any of their remasters but I assumed it was in safe hands...

It’s in pretty safe hands I think.

they do miss the mark a bit with art direction imo but they make up for it in other ways especially tech.

I am usually very good at controlling my spending. I don’t impulse buy, and have never been the guy to upgrade my phone yearly. But what does bother me is how much I care about this stuff and every Apple announcement turns into me wanting to upgrade but then convincing myself I shouldn’t. 

This year seems a bit different, though. I’m not sure if buying our house last year has completely broken my brain in terms of what to do with a some spare money I’ve got lying around, but I have very little interest in buying either of these consoles at launch. I’m still interested in them - watching all the videos and what not, but feel happy to wait to pick one up. I might get a Series X, but only because I want to give my brother my One X. And this lack of interest is despite having saved some money specifically so I could buy one of them, guilt free. 

iPhone wise, I’m not even remotely interested in upgrading from my iPhone X, which is a bit odd for me- I ummed and ahhed and suffered a good bit of FOMO when the 11 launched. 

So yeah, I’m not sure what’s different this year, but I’m enjoying the lack of FOMO. 

I’m usually terrible for impulse buying, but neither of these consoles has me excited enough to splurge the cash. I don’t know if it is getting older that’s doing it, I’m only 34, I'm still inside that 18-35 target demographic for most of this stuff. I think a lot of long time gamers at the moment maybe feel a little jaded by it all. I mean, I looked at the potential £70 price tag of new games and shuddered, but only the other week I dropped £80 on a moments notice for a copy of Septentrion on the Super Famicom (that came with a cart only copy of The Firemen) so I’ve still got that impulsive aspect in me.

16 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

I've zero interest in the PS5 or the Series X but I have that Game and Watch on pre-order.

Same.  I have

2 Game and Watches

Mario Kart Home Circuit

Sega Astro City Mini

3D World

All on pre-order.

But no next gen consoles.