art of rally

bradigor

41 minutes ago, Junker said:

Ha ha. I’m on group B in career mode, have you tried the RX7? Utterly bonkers trying to keep that in a straight line 

Went for the rs200. Tried the audi which was dreadful, the metro was as bad, but the rs200 seemed quite stable. Did most of the groups getting seconds or thirds, which I was ok with. Got to the last rally which was three rounds of five stages and just wiped the floor with the lot of them, which was odd as I fully expected to struggle again. 

Group S though......man that's something else, everything is third gear.

• 5 weeks later...

Picked this up in the Switch sale, having enjoyed a bit of rally games in the past, plus the lovely graphic design.

After several hours it’s fine…  seems that having accelerate and brake on the shoulders, plus no way to reconfigure controls, is pretty daft.  It makes two key inputs digital when they really really ought to be analogue.  It always feels like I’m fighting the car, and the on/off speed controls are the cause (I think)

Does anyone know if its supposed to be quite difficult? Career mode on normal consistently places me outside the top 3, but my times are often inside the real-world top 100.  Seems a bit incongruent 

6 hours ago, Stoikovich said:

Picked this up in the Switch sale, having enjoyed a bit of rally games in the past, plus the lovely graphic design.

After several hours it’s fine…  seems that having accelerate and brake on the shoulders, plus no way to reconfigure controls, is pretty daft.  It makes two key inputs digital when they really really ought to be analogue.  It always feels like I’m fighting the car, and the on/off speed controls are the cause (I think)

Does anyone know if its supposed to be quite difficult? Career mode on normal consistently places me outside the top 3, but my times are often inside the real-world top 100.  Seems a bit incongruent 

Yes it’s tricky. I’ve got it on PS5 and done quite a bit of fiddling with the camera and controls. Default settings are not great. I do a lot of on/off throttle to judge traction so not a massive difference in technique 

Played a little more last night with a bit more success.  Finished first in a rally! 256th on global leaderboards.   Followed by 25th global, and fourth place finish in-game   :D

I’m getting a little more used to the controls.   I wanted to play it like Outrun2!  But it wants a much more sim approach.  I still find the brake is far too powerful.

holding brake and handbrake seems to trigger a car reset?  Not sure I get why; I don’t remember seeing it in controls

graphics, presentation and those wonderfully cars keep calling me back, it is very pretty and lovely 

• 3 months later...

Anyone still playing this? I still do (on PS5) at least a couple of times a week to do the weekly online challenge and the odd daily.
I was hoping there might have been some more tracks and cars and modes added. 

Once you get the controls and camera sorted the actual act of driving in this game is very satisfying. 

On 07/06/2022 at 15:49, SharkyOB said:

I really like it, but it needs way more stages.  They should be comparatively quick to create so I'm not sure why it has so few of them.

I think you underestimate the amount of effort it takes to create and polish a track for release.

The game first arrived on PC in late 2020. Since then it's been ported to the consoles and they've put out one new country track pack in 2021. They've announced a new track pack for release this year so it seems to take about ~1 year to create 6 tracks and a new country for them.

9 hours ago, mushashi said:

I think you underestimate the amount of effort it takes to create and polish a track for release.

The game first arrived on PC in late 2020. Since then it's been ported to the consoles and they've put out one new country track pack in 2021. They've announced a new track pack for release this year so it seems to take about ~1 year to create 6 tracks and a new country for them.

I'm glad more content is coming.

I'm not sure the leaderboards work properly as I can never see Marsh's times and I know he played it. Are they supposed to be cross platform as well?  If anyone wants to post daily or weekly times for a bit of a challenge I'm up for it. or even a league?

On 15/09/2021 at 02:04, spatular said:

been putting some time into the timetrials, it's great fun, some times to beat if anyones interested. time.

finland|noormarkku|group 2|the esky v1|1:30.857

finland|noormarkku|group a|il gorillona|1:16.294

finland|lassila|group a|il gorillona|1:30.023

some times i posted ages ago, not played in a while but would try to join in if there is any timetrials

• 3 months later...

Bounced off this a little while ago, not because I didn't enjoy it, it just didn't grab me at the time. However, recently I continued from where I'd abandoned it and I'm really loving it. I'm not terribly good at it, but I'm enjoying my time in my Esky V1 and Esky V2. 

I even enjoy the free roam, just listening to the great music and finding the collectables. 

I noticed that 'a company' is making a physical edition which is rather lovely, but overpriced of course.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to the Steam Deck I have thoroughly fallen in love with this game. It was rubbish on the Switch and I just never got time to play on Xbox so being able to do a stage or two at a time on Deck is brilliant. I can see myself replaying time and again to get better times. 

• 3 weeks later...