Nintendo 3DS ceases production after almost a decade - end of an era

It's weird that BBC is the only place I've seen this reported:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54191058

Nintendo has discontinued its 3DS handheld after about 76 million sales over a nine-and-a-half year period.

A notice on the Japanese firm's site says "manufacturing of the Nintendo 3DS family of systems has ended".

I mean it's not shocking, Nintendo said last year I think they weren't making any new games for it but still; Sad day. 

I'd agree that this is up there with 'greatest consoles ever' too. Easy top 5 something for me. What a shame they seem to have abandoned the 3D screens now. They perfected it imo with the newer machines, absolutely lovely. And Streetpass was/still is such a charming and inventive gameplay mechanic.  :wub: 

It was quite good, but I don't think the 3DS library of games is anything like as good as the DS.  My 3DS has more time with DS games in its records than 3DS.

Loved Mario 3D Land, Ocarina in portable form, the Airport Hero series, Mario and Luigi and Luigi's Mansion.

Hope region-locking dies with the 3DS.

Awesome system. The new version is probably my all-time favourite handheld, although that probably has to be a shared place with the GBA SP and NDSi. Sad to see it go but it was inevitable after nearly a decade on the market. Still, I got 2 3DS, 3 new3DS (1 ambassador one), and 2 2DS. And about 20 faceplates incl. the wooden one and the hanafuda one.

EiGHBv1XsAASh2Q?format=jpg&name=medium

End of an era indeed. But the Switch is awesome enough not to feel too sad.

The 3DS eshop really brought Japanese indies to the fore, and for this reason it's got an incredible digital library of games that can't be found anywhere else - the whole Guild series springs to mind, with Yasumi Matsuno's Crimson Shroud, Attack of the Friday Monsters, AeroPorter and Starship Damrey being excellent, short, experimental treats. 

It also boosted M2 into the limelight with their bloody fantastic Sega 3D Classics conversions - 3DS is hands down the best place to play Outrun, Shinobi 3, Power Drift, Galaxy Force II (which will blow you away in 3D) and loads of other MD and arcade greats, because the added dimension makes them look cutting edge. 

I still play mine fairly regularly, if only for the GB Virtual Console! Great little console. 

I loved this console, there was some amazing games, and access to the DS titles as well. The 3D on the later model looked fantastic in certain games, I still amazed it even works without glasses. I am pissed we never got all the Sega 3D games here though, and it is not region free. 

3 hours ago, crocked said:

Which sega 3d games didn't we get? They were great.

Great console though and worthy successor to my original and much loved bulky ds

Thunderforce 3, Space Harrier 3D, Outrun 3D, Alien Syndrome. Columns, Turbo Outrun , Girls Garden. I think that was it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/09/2020 at 13:07, Sumire said:

Thunderforce 3, Space Harrier 3D, Outrun 3D, Alien Syndrome. Columns, Turbo Outrun , Girls Garden. I think that was it.

Apologies for the late reply. I have 3D Space Harrier and 3D Outrun which I picked up on the eshop. I just double checked and they seem to be still available if you're still interested. Pity Turbo Outrun didn't come as I would have liked to play that as Outrun was a great conversion.

1 hour ago, crocked said:

Apologies for the late reply. I have 3D Space Harrier and 3D Outrun which I picked up on the eshop. I just double checked and they seem to be still available if you're still interested. Pity Turbo Outrun didn't come as I would have liked to play that as Outrun was a great conversion.

The ones that didnt come out here are the Sega Master System versions, not a big loss, but annoying they never released them over here. The main one I would have liked to have seen is Thunderforce 3.