Playstation First Party Games are now £69.99 RRP

4 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

They had "Holiday 2020" on the specific trailer for sure, which was vague. But that was presumably to keep the launch date held back to the end of the reel. Once it was announced as Nov 19th, what did you think "Holiday 2020" meant?

Christmas period - basically a month after console launch. And I also took that vague term as a hint the game may not even be ready for that window. I was banking on there being stock readily available when MM is released. Might not be the case now....

£70 a pop? No. Not for me. 

Too many options these days that make more financial sense for me. GamePass for example works out at just over £100 a year. OK not cutting edge releases but I always find something on there to play. That's the only way I'm going to consume digital games that and well steam (sales) on the PC. I'm patient and can wait until things are a price I'm willing to pay though.

That £359 PS5 won't seem so cheap when you have bought a couple of games with it (£499) and you have no means to recoup the costs when you are done with them via the second hand market. 

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

Are they 100% that price or is that just a place holder? I remember PS4 games going up for £60 and that suddenly dropped right before launch.

Looking at the prices for digital games on PS4 ... that price would seem about right. And of course if you have a PS5 digital you only have one place where you can buy digital content....actually that might not be strictly true these days? I know when I had a Switch (and XBox for that matter) I could buy codes from say CD Keys for games and save myself a bit of money. Not sure about PlayStation digital content though.

I have never bought a digital game on PS4 on release *ever* they are too expensive for me. I can afford it but not willing to pay that much for a single game I cannot re-sell. It's not as if they are £20 a pop is it? 

EDIT OK just  checked full games are on CDKeys now... https://www.cdkeys.com/playstation-network-psn?product_list_order=name&product_list_dir=desc

So there are options...

51 minutes ago, Thor said:

Christmas period - basically a month after console launch. And I also took that vague term as a hint the game may not even be ready for that window. I was banking on there being stock readily available when MM is released. Might not be the case now....

Poor sore Thor.

41 minutes ago, chamberlago said:

Personally if £70 meant we got games that aren't stuffed full of lootboxes and MTX I would be happy enough, but you know it would mean £70 and still stuffed full of lootboxes and MTX

Yep. Combine this with GaaS, Season Passes and expansions, too.

If gross-minded publishers can get away with putting every single avenue for revenue into a fully priced game, they fucking will. Our only hope is that the market will dictate that it's not acceptable by simply not buying that shit. Unfortunately, I don't think that will be the case.

Personally, if I feel a game is going to be worth the money, I'll get it. That's slowly been the case with PC games also creeping up in price, and sometimes I really have to consider if a game really is worth the big bucks as opposed to waiting a few months for it to be about twenty quid - thankfully, there's enough games out there that I don't need to worry that much about playing the next big thing immediately, anyway.

12 minutes ago, Danster said:

I believe (and may be wrong) it's between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Heh, I did wonder if it was that. That's still not launch though, what with Thanksgiving being two weeks after launch in most of the world.

6 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Poor sore Thor.

You're damn right I'm sore! All the videos for all launch titles should have spelled out "available at launch" in last night's show. I shouldn't have to follow some Mountain Dew knobhead on twitter to find that out. :angry:

I've registered interest with Simply Games, let's see if I can snag one. 

2 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Yes, and it'll depend on which you buy. The disc will upgrade the disc version and the digital the digital.

That's good no reason to pay extra for the PS5 version then!

Personally, I'd say £70 isn't an outrageous amount of money for something like Last of Us 2 or Red Dead 2. It's quite a lot to fork out in one go - and interestingly, £50 is the highest value PSN card you can get - but I think I'd be happy to pay that for something that I really want to play and am pretty confident is going to be good. For anything else, I'm happy to just wait for a sale, most games are half price after six months anyway.

Yeah, they haven't quoted the UK price or if the PS4 price is different, but the PS5 prices were:

Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Insomniac Games) – US$49.99/CAD$64.99/¥5,900/€59.99 (RRP)

Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales Ultimate Edition (Insomniac Games) – US$69.99/CAD$89.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)

So it's 20 Euros cheaper if you don't want the Remaster. Still a lot mind.

My stance is that this kind of pricing takes the piss. I get the shift to $70 in the US, as their prices have been stagnant for a long time, but do publishers think the rest of the world hasn't noticed their prices creeping up through the past generation? Not counting the prevalence of microtransactions, DLC, needless 'special' editions, etc.

If Sony's games are going to cost £70 digitally that's a £15 price hike; both TLoU2 and GoT launched at £55 on PSN. That's a pretty big ask unless they've some means of mitigation they haven't shared yet, like a rewards point scheme or even digital trade-ins.

3 hours ago, gospvg said:

And play what exclusives?

The only PS exclusives I had last gen were Driveclub and No man's sky. I think people can convince themselves that they need these games, but I've been entirely satisfied without. 

This is a super subjective criteria, yet I've had people complain about it. 

36 minutes ago, TehStu said:

The only PS exclusives I had last gen were Driveclub and No man's sky. I think people can convince themselves that they need these games, but I've been entirely satisfied without. 

This is a super subjective criteria, yet I've had people complain about it. 

Agree for me I have enjoyed far more exclusives that most probably. But also for me the PS4 was my one next gen console I did not have any intention of buying an xbox. The PS4 was my exclusive & multi-platform gaming machine.

Long list - spoilered

Spoiler

Dragon Quest XI (PS4)

Death Stranding (PS4)

Concrete Genie (PS4)

The Last of Us 2 (PS4)

Spider-Man (PS4)
Children of Zodiarcs (PS4)
What Remains of Edith Finch (PS4)
Dragon Quest Builders 2 ( PS4)
Days Gone (PS4)

Ni No Kuni 2 (PS4)
God of War (PS4)

World of Final Fantasy (PS4)
Firewatch (PS4)

Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
Uncharted Lost Legacy (PS4)

Uncharted 4 (PS4)
Ratchet & Clank (PS4)

Metal Gear Solid V (PS4)

Gone Home (PS4)
No Man's Sky (PS4)
Dragon Quest Builders (PS4)

MGSV - Ground Zeroes (PS4)
Knack (PS4)
Journey (PS4)

33 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

£69.99 for Demon's Souls seems very cynical. I'm pretty sure the SOTC remake was £40 or under. Knack and Killzone launched at £52.

£70 for Destruction All Stars is downright criminal.

Destruction All Stars is taking the piss at that price! Surely it is a £20 game at best!

£70 for a digital download of a game? Sure why not, a lot of users are already paying fixed price for games upwards of £59.99 when you can buy the disc version for at least £10 cheaper, so you can see they are chancing it. 

Digital downloads has always been about price fixing for me over convenience. Once its all digital downloads and subscriptions, fuck it I'm out.

I can't imagine being in a situation where I buy the last Doom game, play it for a bit, fucking hate it and then either sell it on Ebay or take it to CEX to at least partially remediate the bad mood I've put myself in by buying it in the first place. Spunking £70 on it and finding this out, shit, I'd want demos of everything first!