Monster Hunter: Rise & MH Stories 2. Switch bound. March 2021. Featuring doggo.

On 10/01/2021 at 11:56, Keyboard Koala said:

A few cards I think. If you want the steelbook you have to order another limited edition - the sneaky sods.

I actually got an e-mail from Nintendo the other day saying the order has been upgraded to include the Cards and the Steelbook, so if you have ordered the same as me you should get it all.

Had a go with bow and heavy bow gun earlier having never really used them (except for Arena Quests). They’re fun aren’t they? I just need to get my head around stocking up on ammo and I may use bow as my alt this game. 

6 hours ago, Melon_Bread said:

I actually got an e-mail from Nintendo the other day saying the order has been upgraded to include the Cards and the Steelbook, so if you have ordered the same as me you should get it all.

Ordered mine from amazon, so dunno if we'll also get that upgrade. Prolly not.

6 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Had a go with bow and heavy bow gun earlier having never really used them (except for Arena Quests). They’re fun aren’t they? I just need to get my head around stocking up on ammo and I may use bow as my alt this game. 

I learned Bow in 3U, but soon sidelined it. Picked it back up when I double-dipped for World on PC, as a way to not leave my son feeling inferior when we played together, and realised quickly just how good it is. It almost became my main! I'll never leave Horn, but I now feel I'm more than just an alt with Bow. Making 4 weapons I consider myself pretty good with at this point - HH, Bow, Gunlance, and SnS.

I recommend learning to at least know how to play all weapons, but getting comfortable with a couple of different types. I find that the Bow is especially good against Rath-types who insist on staying in the bloody air for 66% of the fight. It may seem annoying at first, but it becomes second nature and your kill times will soon plummet.

17 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

It’s so hard to change though. Especially when trying to think about zip lining around in this new one.

I see a few people mention the horn. Is that the connoisseur’s choice?

We HH mains might be a touch guilty of pride, as it is considered the oddity amongst the weapons. It's definitely the least popular, partially due to how tricky it is to git gud with, but largely due to it being (incorrectly) thought of as a support weapon.

Personally, I find Lance much more difficult. I literally fell in love with the Metal Bagpipes in Tri when I sent a Jaggi skywards, and never looked back. I didn't even appreciate the buffs back then, I was just too busy laughing at how much more damage I did with each pound. Today I kind of feel almost like a hipster while everyone else slowly comes to realise how good dootin' is.

8 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Same, I've never diversified from the hammer. Maybe I should use this as the opportunity to learn something complicated like the insect glaive, or completely different like the bow.

The bow would be especially good in Rise with joycon gyro aiming like BOTW.

I had a lot of fun playing the demo of this yesterday with the bow - it does indeed feel like a completely different game after years of just using the hammer. I'm not sure I felt like I was actually doing much damage, but I had a good time.

Can't get on with the gyro controls at all though - they feel upside down for me? Like I go to move the controller and it points the wrong way vertically. None of the invert controls schemes seemed to affect them at all. Might just be my brain wired wrong though as I'm an invert y person generally.

What is great about Monster Hunter demos is they always throw in a few other Monsters, why only hunt Mizutsune when you can also take on Rathian while Great Izuchi joins in and you end up hunting them all, turns a 10 min demo into an epic 30 min hunt.

17 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

What is great about Monster Hunter demos is they always throw in a few other Monsters, why only hunt Mizutsune when you can also take on Rathian while Great Izuchi joins in and you end up hunting them all, turns a 10 min demo into an epic 30 min hunt.

Yes and then ride Rath over to poison Mizu with some tail whips.

• 2 weeks later...

Loved the demo just getting to grips with controls and menus. Taking a little too long to figure out that you have to hold down A to ride dog. Just a small gripe/ observation though. The big red arrow. They just put a nice piece of concept art on the official page showing footprints leading to the monster but this isn't really how the game is. You could even have mandalorian or samus style goggles to see hints for tracking like footprints. The trails in World worked ok I guess .  But its the hints in the way other monsters and wildlife act running away from the direction of a big monster that were so nice in monster hunter before all the glitter. Surely these days they can add broken twigs and fallen leaves "pointing" the direction. After all this is monster hunter not (just)monster batterer.Even something like the distant sound of the monster coming from a certain direction. I feel there is so much scope here unused. A portion of the fun should be the hunt. One person finding the monster  and others hurrying to them instead of all following big red arrow.

edit :just googled it and supposedly might be just for the demo and you can turn it off if you want. I'd rather its off for everyone in online play at least and maybe up to you when offline

15 hours ago, mrpranny said:

Taking a little too long to figure out that you have to hold down A to ride dog.

If you press Dpad right once you can whistle for the dog anytime with dpad up. Useful mid-battle.

20 minutes ago, ryodi said:

They release a special edition  console and controller but the Amiibo are Nintendo store exclusive.

These will be worth 'Good Money' in the future

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Does anyone know where I could preorder the LE game from? Sold out on the Nintendo store. 

Simply Games still have it available for pre-order.

For those with more money than sense, both the Monster Hunter Rise Limited Edition Switch and the Monster Hunter Rise Limited Edition Pro Controller are available to preorder on Nintendo's official site. 

Console:

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/consoles-nintendo-switch/nintendo-switch-monster-hunter-rise-edition-pack/12853774.html

Pro Controller:

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-switch-accessory/nintendo-switch-pro-controller-monster-hunter-rise-edition/12853833.html

I've gone for the Pro Controller.