Jump to content

Monster Hunter: Rise & MH Stories 2. Switch bound. March 2021. Featuring doggo.


Recommended Posts

I just want to change my voice, but it won’t let me (unless I want to change to paid DLC, naturally). My Hunter is a complete dickhead who keeps asking the monsters if they’ve got insurance. I hate him so much. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I just want to change my voice, but it won’t let me (unless I want to change to paid DLC, naturally). My Hunter is a complete dickhead who keeps asking the monsters if they’ve got insurance. I hate him so much. 

 

Switch to Japanese, seriously. It also makes the noh-opera-style monster intros so much better. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it looks the same.

Nice to see Chameleos back, pretty fun fight, carted me a couple of time, maybe I should actually upgrade my armor now we have new elders to fight, but I have made so many sets!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a go on this last night and did the Rajang capture quest to get my eye in again. At the hub, though, the only new monster appears to be Betelgeuse, until you get to HR20. Do you just have to grind quests to level up your Hunter Rank? Seems like a bit of a ball ache.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I had a go on this last night and did the Rajang capture quest to get my eye in again. At the hub, though, the only new monster appears to be Betelgeuse, until you get to HR20. Do you just have to grind quests to level up your Hunter Rank? Seems like a bit of a ball ache.

 

yes, it's pretty quick tho.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did Bazelgeuse and the Apex grizzly bear (Azuros?) solo. I'm up to HR 15, but I think I might be done with this. I'd keep playing it if all of the new monsters were available straightaway, but I can't be done with just repeating quests for the sake of doing so, especially when I'm happy with my build and don't need to farm any materials. I might sell the game and buy it again in a year or so, once there's enough new stuff to justify putting some more time into it.

 

What are the chances of cross-save between the current Switch version and the upcoming PC port? I'm guessing slim to none...

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

It really doesn't take long to move up your HR. It was an incredible update imo but nevermind.

 

I guess if you're playing online then you've got an excuse to play the quests over and over, but I've done them all and there's no incentive for me to replay them again, except grinding to get to the next HR level, which doesn't appeal.

 

I could focus on getting to the next upgrade for my weapon, I suppose, but currently there's just a big question mark next to it - I'm using the Nargacuga hunting horn for the affinity - so I don't know what materials to go for.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love that the update completely blew open the set building game (and fashion hunting), and that's 95% going after specific monster parts and the new Lazurite Jewels (I've got up to 6 at once from the new 7* quests for Apex monsters if you're after them).

 

My wishlist hasn't fit on a single page for the last 50 hours and my LBG sets absolutely wreck now that skills like Rapid Fire Up which needed a god charm or otherwise-weak armour pieces which had specific skills to work in before are more accessible with decorations, and those god charms out there will just let you stack on couple more Lv 2 skills like attack or crit on top if you get one.

 

Time to switch over to see what's happening with sharpness via handicraft/master's touch/protective polish, though it seems the Narga weapons still have an advantage being able to stack All The Skills on top of their natural white sharpness and affinity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jamie John said:

 

I could focus on getting to the next upgrade for my weapon, I suppose, but currently there's just a big question mark next to it - I'm using the Nargacuga hunting horn for the affinity - so I don't know what materials to go for.

 

Looking at the horn tree you are going to have to grind up your HR to make that upgrade.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

 

Looking at the horn tree you are going to have to grind up your HR to make that upgrade.

 

I feared as much! What site are you looking at? The ones I've checked haven't updated yet. Unless you're just checking your own copy of the game...

 

It's a shame that they've decided to add this HR system that essentially gates off the extra content if you're not prepared to level up. It just seems entirely arbitrary compared with the system the game has used up until this point where you have all the quests available to you from the start of each quest level then complete them to unlock the next.

 

Maybe I'll have a go at playing with a different weapon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

Just level up, it will take you an hour or two jfc.

 

There's no need to get all worked up. 'An hour or two' might not seem like much to you, but that's about three days' worth of play time to me that I'd rather not spend playing the same content I've played already for no reason other than to unlock more of the game that's been cut off for the sake of it. I think it's a stupid decision, particularly when getting to level 20 only unlocks one extra monster and to see all of the new stuff I have to get up to level 40. Moreover, beating the Apex Azuros last night added just two levels to my Hunter Rank and took me about 20 minutes to do, so I'm not sure that your estimate of getting to level 40, 25 levels higher than where I'm currently at, taking me between one and two hours adds up.

 

But anyway, I'll keep playing for a bit, as I said, and see what opens up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The worst network lag I've ever seen :ph34r:

 

The initial 175 should have been a wakeup hit (double damage from the sticky ammo I put there before someone put it to sleep) but you can see the host is frozen when it goes off, then teleports to the left and freezes again. Took about 45 seconds for everyone to sync up again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

 

There's no need to get all worked up. 'An hour or two' might not seem like much to you, but that's about three days' worth of play time to me that I'd rather not spend playing the same content I've played already for no reason other than to unlock more of the game that's been cut off for the sake of it. I think it's a stupid decision, particularly when getting to level 20 only unlocks one extra monster and to see all of the new stuff I have to get up to level 40. Moreover, beating the Apex Azuros last night added just two levels to my Hunter Rank and took me about 20 minutes to do, so I'm not sure that your estimate of getting to level 40, 25 levels higher than where I'm currently at, taking me between one and two hours adds up.

 

But anyway, I'll keep playing for a bit, as I said, and see what opens up.

 

I think the new content is really good but as with every other stage of the game the core gameloop doesn't change: you kill monsters in order to wear their skin so you can kill monsters more efficiently. If that isn't your bag - and everyone hits a point with MH where they think "ok I'm done" - then absolutely just stop playing it, it is fine, you don't have to justify it to anyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway I feel like the reception to this one has been curiously muted on this forum, even though it has sold very well and I personally think it is better than World - just having it handheld is so much better. Seems to me there was more excitement on here around World and possibly even the 3DS games though. Just my imagination or has this one not quite hit home on here like World did?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I have been seriously thinking about going back to Iceborne or even having another go at MHGU but I think the movement is going to make it hard to go back, kind of like how Bloodborne made it difficult for me to go back to the Dark Souls games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

Anyway I feel like the reception to this one has been curiously muted on this forum, even though it has sold very well and I personally think it is better than World - just having it handheld is so much better. Seems to me there was more excitement on here around World and possibly even the 3DS games though. Just my imagination or has this one not quite hit home on here like World did?

 

I was thinking this as well, especially when you have to scroll so far down the page to find the thread. World was a concentrated effort by Capcom to make the series more appealing to broader (especially Western) audiences with a big console release, more tutorials and a bigger narrative focus. I think with Rise they've gone back to type a little bit more to appease the long-running fans of the series who didn't like some of the changes that were made for World and just wanted to focus on the hunt/kill/craft loop.

 

As others have mentioned, I suspect the next MH game will be a big budget sequel to World on PS5 and Xbox Series.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No chance, the Japanese market is totally dominated by Switch and mobile now, PS5 sales have been abysmal over there.

 

I think the loop in World was identical really, it just was hung off a slightly more involved narrative. If anything Rise is more straighforward and accessible than World. To appeal to real hardcore fans, they'd have to bring back paintballs, gathering tools, survival drinks, remove hit numbers etc etc. I really don't see Rise or any future game doing any of that.

 

I suppose Sony could throw a lot of money at them in hopes that maybe it would shift some PS5s, but I dunno really.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.