Jump to content

Monster Hunter: Rise & MH Stories 2. Switch bound. March 2021. Featuring doggo.


HarMGM
 Share

Recommended Posts

Palicoes are amazing at gathering and you should always have one in your party! 

 

Unless you have no interest in making multiple builds, weapons, loadouts. In which case you are clearly not a MonHun aficionado.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Curtis said:

Palicoes are amazing at gathering and you should always have one in your party! 

 

Unless you have no interest in making multiple builds, weapons, loadouts. In which case you are clearly not a MonHun aficionado.

In nearly 50 hours of play, I never once felt the need to make a specialised loadout or build for a particular monster. I got through all of low rank with whatever armour had the highest Def rating which I could buy with the materials I had. When I got to high rank I started off by making a Pukei Pukei set because of the added poison, with a few of the poison boost skills. Then, at the harder levels, I switched to a high affinity build with the Basarios guitar, and that saw me through to the final boss.

 

So much of the game is only there if you want it. You don't really need to fiddle with any of it. Granted, it probably makes the game easier if you do engage with all that stuff, and increases your chances to get good materials. But it also requires a lot of grinding and replaying the same quests over and over. And that's not my bag, baby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

Not sure you have quite entered into the spirit of Monster Hunter, it’s not really a one and done sort of game.

 

I don't know if that's true. There are certainly different ways to play it, and I definitely enjoyed the time I spent with it a lot. I just don't feel the need to spend dozens of more hours grinding, particularly when there's no reason to, save from the sake of having the best build/gear you possibly can. 

 

As and when the new updates come out and there are monsters or challenges that require me to engage more fully with its systems, then I will, if I feel compelled to. But the game doesn't require you to do that, and the obtuseness of everything doesn't invite it, either.

 

To say that I haven't entered into the 'spirit' of the game because I don't want to grind the same monsters or quests over and over, or because I don't feel the need to, is incorrect and quite patronising, to be frank.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

 

I don't know if that's true. There are certainly different ways to play it, and I definitely enjoyed the time I spent with it a lot. I just don't feel the need to spend dozens of more hours grinding, particularly when there's no reason to, save from the sake of having the best build/gear you possibly can. 

 

As and when the new updates come out and there are monsters or challenges that require me to engage more fully with its systems, then I will, if I feel compelled to. But the game doesn't require you to do that, and the obtuseness of everything doesn't invite it, either.

 

To say that I haven't entered into the 'spirit' of the game because I don't want to grind the same monsters or quests over and over, or because I don't feel the need to, is incorrect and quite patronising, to be frank.


yes. You’ve missed the point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No, I don't think he has missed the point.

 

Previous games in the series have required you to play quests over and over simply because the games were so rock hard, you needed to do that stuff in order to progress.

 

Rise is explicitly designed to be more accessible. Which means it's open to people who want to simply play through as a fun action game, upgrading gear as they go, and consider it complete when they beat the final boss. You know, like 90% of games. That's great, it opens up the series to a whole new audience and means the chances of there being future games in the series are greatly improved.

 

All the other stuff, the endless grinding, the desire sensor, the RNG drops, are all still there for those who want it. Is it a better game if you engage with that stuff? I'd argue yes, it absolutely is. Is it required to have a whole load of fun with Monster Hunter Rise? Definitely not.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, scottcr said:


yes. You’ve missed the point. 

 

I don't think that is fair, people get what they want to get out of the game. Each to their own.

 

For veterans they enjoy the end game of finessing their builds over and over, perfecting their weapon(s) or crown hunting, for them that is the game. But for more casual players, particularly western gamers, that grindfest tends to be less appealing.

 

@Jamie John they will add a ton of new monsters (and gear) that will be substantially more challenging and will be much harder, maybe impossible, to solo, but the game won't substantially change after this point. After 40 hours if the grindfest doesn't appeal, then I think there is nothing wrong with calling it done.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Jamie John said:

 

To say that I haven't entered into the 'spirit' of the game because I don't want to grind the same monsters or quests over and over, or because I don't feel the need to, is incorrect and quite patronising, to be frank.

 

Sorry if you feel that way, I did have a wink emoji in that post originally, I am just teasing.

I think you did a good job getting thru it all solo and I reckon that's a big part of why you feel this way, the fights are much more random and unpredictable with other people.

A big part of Monster Hunter is the grind tho, learning the fights and getting better and better, making that perfect set and getting frustrated that the one part you need to finish off your new weapon just wont drop and the feeling when it does. 

What this version of Monster Hunter seems to lack is that 'Wall' monster where people get stuck for ages, those monsters used to teach the player to persevere and overcome the odds and the feeling of doing this was amazing, I spent a whole week in the second game trying to beat a dual Tigrex quest. I do wonder how not having that wall makes it easy to just one and done each of the monsters.

In a sense what you have done is bought Street Fighter, only played Ryu in Arcade mode until you beat the last boss, turned the game off as said to yourself 'all done!', you've missed half the fun of the game.

It's your game tho, play it how ever you like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Melon_Bread said:

 

Sorry if you feel that way, I did have a wink emoji in that post originally, I am just teasing.

I think you did a good job getting thru it all solo and I reckon that's a big part of why you feel this way, the fights are much more random and unpredictable with other people.

A big part of Monster Hunter is the grind tho, learning the fights and getting better and better, making that perfect set and getting frustrated that the one part you need to finish off your new weapon just wont drop and the feeling when it does. 

What this version of Monster Hunter seems to lack is that 'Wall' monster where people get stuck for ages, those monsters used to teach the player to persevere and overcome the odds and the feeling of doing this was amazing, I spent a whole week in the second game trying to beat a dual Tigrex quest. I do wonder how not having that wall makes it easy to just one and done each of the monsters.

In a sense what you have done is bought Street Fighter, only played Ryu in Arcade mode until you beat the last boss, turned the game off as said to yourself 'all done!', you've missed have the fun of the game.

It's your game tho, play it how ever you like.

 

I have to say this though as someone who put nearly 300 hrs into MHW and I'm approaching 110 hrs so far in Rise, as fun as this one is, the end game is less appealing. Maybe I'm just better at these games now, but making the fights more accessible has as you say removed the serious 'wall' monsters that made the grind worth undertaking. I remember the satisfaction of getting hammered by Nergigante initially but then getting my build/skills to the point where I could casually smash him in 5 mins. I don't see it in this one currently and I'm trying to eke out my enjoyment until the first big update drops because I know once I put a game down, it is down for good (I never even went back to Iceborne for example even though MHW is one of my fav games of all time).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ChewMagma said:

 

I have to say this though as someone who put nearly 300 hrs into MHW and I'm approaching 110 hrs so far in Rise, as fun as this one is, the end game is less appealing. Maybe I'm just better at these games now, but making the fights more accessible has as you say removed the serious 'wall' monsters that made the grind worth undertaking. I remember the satisfaction of getting hammered by Nergigante initially but then getting my build/skills to the point where I could casually smash him in 5 mins. I don't see it in this one currently and I'm trying to eke out my enjoyment until the first big update drops because I know once I put a game down, it is down for good (I never even went back to Iceborne for example even though MHW is one of my fav games of all time).

 

Yep, the wall is a big part of monster hunter and it's just not there in this one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But isn't that the point? They had to cut the end due to Covid etc, and it's coming "soon" (maybe even by end of April)

 

There basically is no endgame/progression in this as it stands, beyond grinding for talismans. I got luck and got a 2/1, slot, 2 quicksheath early on. So other than gambling for an even better role I'm done.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Hexx said:

But isn't that the point? They had to cut the end due to Covid etc, and it's coming "soon" (maybe even by end of April)

 

There basically is no endgame/progression in this as it stands, beyond grinding for talismans. I got luck and got a 2/1, slot, 2 quicksheath early on. So other than gambling for an even better role I'm done.

 

 

 


Wall Monster have been mid game for a lot of people, Pink Rathian was one in world for example.

 

A mid game monsters that is a step up in difficulty that acts as a gate to the rest of the game, normally near the start of high rank.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:


Wall Monster have been mid game for a lot of people, Pink Rathian was one in world for example.

 

A mid game monsters that is a step up in difficulty that acts as a gate to the rest of the game, normally near the start of high rank.

 

Magnamola is pretty much a step up.

I don't think it's as big as step up as previous games, especially for the experienced - but he has some nasty moves (the fake fall over is horrid)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As someone who's not a MH fanatic I do think it's a bit on the easy side. The last one I really played was Tri on the Wii and it was HARD. I think I spent 80-90 hours until I saw the end credits, and didn't beat many of the harder monsters more than once. Rise has taken me about 10ish hours to beat Magnamalo and see the credits, and I haven't failed a mission once. Magnamalo knocked me out twice, but that's the closest I've come. Obviously there's a ton more monsters to fight post-credits, but there is a part of me that feels like 'well, that's done now, better get onto the next game in my backlog'. I'm pretty sure I will play it some more, but I wish it had been a bit harder to get this far...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, GokouD said:

As someone who's not a MH fanatic I do think it's a bit on the easy side. The last one I really played was Tri on the Wii and it was HARD. I think I spent 80-90 hours until I saw the end credits, and didn't beat many of the harder monsters more than once. Rise has taken me about 10ish hours to beat Magnamalo and see the credits, and I haven't failed a mission once. Magnamalo knocked me out twice, but that's the closest I've come. Obviously there's a ton more monsters to fight post-credits, but there is a part of me that feels like 'well, that's done now, better get onto the next game in my backlog'. I'm pretty sure I will play it some more, but I wish it had been a bit harder to get this far...

 

Is that just the Village quests, though? The Hub ones are a lot harder, more like MH of yore. The Village quests are essentially easy mode, although the game doesn't really tell you this. I don't know why they even have the Village quests, really, or certainly I don't know why they have as many of them as they do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

 

Is that just the Village quests, though? The Hub ones are a lot harder, more like MH of yore. The Village quests are essentially easy mode, although the game doesn't really tell you this. I don't know why they even have the Village quests, really, or certainly I don't know why they have as many of them as they do.

Yeah I've never really bothered with the online stuff in Monster Hunter...Terrible I know. I should probably try some of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, GokouD said:

Yeah I've never really bothered with the online stuff in Monster Hunter...Terrible I know. I should probably try some of them.

 

The Gathering Hub stuff is the 'real' game. You don't have to do it online. I did it entirely solo. The game adjusts the difficulty depending on how many people are in your party, like Souls, so if it's just you then it's comparable with the solo quests in World (which I also did solo).

 

You should definitely check it out. It's just a lot more interesting than the Village stuff.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jamie John said:

 

The Gathering Hub stuff is the 'real' game. You don't have to do it online. I did it entirely solo. The game adjusts the difficulty depending on how many people are in your party, like Souls, so if it's just you then it's comparable with the solo quests in World (which I also did solo).

 

You should definitely check it out. It's just a lot more interesting than the Village stuff.

 

Huh, the game could really make that more clear!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GokouD said:

Huh, the game could really make that more clear!

Indeed, that's what I thought too.

 

If you've played through the Village quests already, however, you'll have unlocked a couple of licenses which mean you don't have to go through all of the lower ranks of the Hub quests, fighting the weaker monsters again, so there's that, at least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I bet there are loads of people who've bought this, played the Village quests until the credits rolled, then put the game to one side and wondered what all the fuss was about.

 

It really doesn't ever make it clear that that's about 10% of the content.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fair play to anyone for putting 50 hours into Monster Hunter if they don't get into all the set building or learning different weapons :hat:

 

I'm almost 100 hours in and today's play session has been hunting Diablos, alone and in pairs, to try to get Diablos Medullas off them, making sure to break the back, cut the tail (with a Light Bowgun, glad it has slicing ammo) and capture them for more chances at that particular part, all so I can make 2 Offensive Guard decorations to finish out the lance set I'm putting together for the Diablos lance (while still trying to get used to all the new moves it has).

 

While I'm doing that, I farmed a bunch of Final Boss' Name Here yesterday to put its materials into talisman melding, which is cooking away in the background as I hunt. One of those just dropped a sweet Spare Shot 2 talisman with a Level 3 decoration slot, which it looks like (after adding it to the Armour Set Search and seeing which extra skills I can now fit in) will let me get 2 more levels of Attack Boost on my Magnamalo LBG Sticky KO build (which is good as Sticky and Slicing ammo scale with raw and Attack Boost increases on a percentage basis past level 4) but for that I'll need to create 2 Artillery decorations instead of the old armour pieces I'm swapping out for more attack, so those are also going on the wishlist as I'll need to hunt a few Pukei-Pukei and Tetranadon, which I haven't done for a while, but anyway about those Diablos... :ph34r:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This just felt more like Monster Hunter than ever. The reason? I decided to clear up the side quests, and deliver 2 Gargwa Eggs. Here is how it went:

 

Get to the area where Gargwa appear, and notice there's a Great Wroggi. Earthshaker for the guaranteed mount, ride him into the wall so he'll sod off. Almudron decided to come along, and so I now have to clear them both out. By the time I've completed this, I finally get to hit a Gargwa and get the egg.

 

Take it all the way back to the base. Head back to the same area, and proceed to not get any eggs from the next 4 Gargwa. Also, Great Wroggi comes back, so I have to put him down. I decided to try the other spot.

 

As soon as I get there, I see a Gargwa. He drops a Gold Gargwa Egg, so I pick it up and take it back to the start.

 

Where I discover that it doesn't count as a Gargwa Egg for the delivery! DAMN IT. Off I go again.

 

The next 3 Gargwa in that area all drop Gold Eggs.

 

So, I complete the Expedition and go back in. This time, I head straight to area 6, where there is a Tetranadon, Kulu Ya Ku, and Great Wroggi all just waiting for me to mount them. I oblige, sending 2 off and putting the Great Wroggi down again, but .... where the hell are the Gargwa? They're not coming back! Fine, up the river we go.

 

Yes, the first Gargwa drops a Gold Egg. This ain't right, man. Back to area 6, Tetranadon is still there. So, I put him out of my misery, get informed that Pukei Pukei has now appeared, but thankfully there are 3 Gargwa now spawned. And the first one I hit finally drops an egg for me!

 

The Desire Sensor is real. Never let anyone tell you otherwise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Curtis said:

Are they gold eggs you get to keep and sell for big money?

Not even as useful as that! I still had to deliver it. Only bonus is that they're not as easy to drop and break as the normal ones, but there's still no reason to bother.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still haven't had my money back of shopto for this game even though I never received the game and it was a fuck up by Royal mail. I've also sent repeated tickets to shopto telling them this along with evidence. They keep passing the buck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, I may have gone back to this. The addiction is too strong.

 

Is there a way to fight 

Spoiler

Ibushi apart from through the rampage quest?

 

I need his Bluespikes and that particular rampage quest is a pain in the arse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

So, I may have gone back to this. The addiction is too strong.

 

Is there a way to fight 

  Hide contents

Ibushi apart from through the rampage quest?

 

I need his Bluespikes and that particular rampage quest is a pain in the arse.

 
No, and why do you need his spike? Your not finally making an armor set now are you? ;) (i remembered the wink emote this time)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

 
No, and why do you need his spike? Your not finally making an armor set now are you? ;) (i remembered the wink emote this time)

 

Not armour, but I need it for the Critical Eye decoration to complete my affinity build :unsure:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah having bemoaned the endgame a little bit, I had a very pleasant day grinding for talisman melding materials while watching the snooker, so I feel this one has some mileage left in it yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.