Monster Hunter: Rise & MH Stories 2. Switch bound. March 2021. Featuring doggo.

I tried all the weapons now and I am terrible at remembering and executing combos, so I have decided to try the Kinsect which doesn't require too many combos but makes you feel like an anime superhero. Unfortunately the extent of the tutorial is a load of text which is terrible at explaining its quite complex mechanics. Plus the weapon move list is in a submenu two deep so you keep having to bring it up again and again to check. I've pretty much got the gist but what i can't figure out is what dictates which number box gets filled with the elements, if that matters, and what the little moving bar does on the boxes. Very confusing. However I will persevere as I want to fly around in the sky like diamonds, and will go back to the missions shortly.

Have to say despite the terrible explanations I'm impressed at the variety and depth of the mechanics for each weapon. It's no mean feat making 12 or 16 weapons that are distinct from each other, its almost like fighting game characters. Of course World had this as well, I just never could be bothered to relearn anything new after I sunk so much time and resources into my greatsword.

6 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Woe betide any newcomers to Monster Hunter if this is what's regarded 'accessible'! 

That's me. It's been an overwhelming succession of useful info, NPCs, menus, sub menus and multi function button presses. I don't even know if I should be taking on monster quests alone or online with an online 'squad'. I got as far as taking on the first 1 star monster hunt on my own but failed several times. Its clear there's something special waiting but its been a tough first few hours. 

It is awful, and if you go back to my posts on Monster Hunter World you'll see me bemoaning very similar problems. It's best to pretty much ignore most of what they are saying and follow the main single player quests. When you get stuck, bring up the 'pause menu' (you can't pause) and go to the different Hunters guides, where all the tutorials are held (I'll check in a bit what the exact buttons and menu names are).

Fortunately after you get over the hump and figure out how to play the game, its great. Its just a steep learning curve.

Edit: Help is found here: Press + and go to the Info Tab

5 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

You can change your character’s appearance in-game, partially, but sadly I can’t do anything about the fact he looks about 12 and has a stupid voice. I hate him already. 

Your first mistake :p

19 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

When you get stuck, bring up the 'pause menu' (you can't pause) and go to the different Hunters guides, where all the tutorials are held (I'll check in a bit what the exact buttons and menu names are).

Fortunately after you get over the hump and figure out how to play the game, its great. Its just a steep learning curve.

Edit: Help is found here: Press + and go to the Info Tab

Thanks. Yes, spent almost as much  time reading as I did playing, or so it seemed. 

Dear Nintendo, that's why we used to like reading the paper manual on the bus on the way home from the shops! 

First genuine question. One of the NPCs in the hub (?) says (paraphrasing) "don't even think about taking on a monster quest unless you are a total nut job. Stick to harvesting mushrooms". 

Is this misdirection, humour, or serious advice? 

35 minutes ago, MagicalDrop said:

First genuine question. One of the NPCs in the hub (?) says (paraphrasing) "don't even think about taking on a monster quest unless you are a total nut job. Stick to harvesting mushrooms". 

Is this misdirection, humour, or serious advice? 

You just bought a game called Monster Hunter. What do you think?

(Mushroom Harvester has never achieved the same level of popularity, for some reason). 

Just took down my first 1 star monster and unlocked rank 2, I think I will be up for multiplayer this evening if anyone's game. I'm a right fuddle with the insect glaive (I can't remember most of the insect related commands and what order to do them in), and it is hard to control flying in the air, but its fun nonetheless. If anyone knows of a way to have weapon move-lists appear as an overlay (outside of the training zone) do let me know.

My guy looked cool, lean, mean and grizzled in the character creator, in the game he looks like a chubby grandma. Can't be arsed to go through a new character creation though so it will have to do!

re: character creation in Monster Hunter - just embrace the lunacy, don't try and make a 'serious' character. Before long you'll be strutting about wearing an 8-foot tall feathered headdress and giant rabbit paws on your hands anyway, so just roll with it.

12 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

My guy looked cool, lean, mean and grizzled in the character creator, in the game he looks like a chubby grandma.

You just described me grooming myself at home in the mirror before leaving for work vs CCTV footage of me at work in the workplace.

I made a lobby for up to 3 other players, I'm just into 2 star quests but happy to do 1 star quests as well if anyone wants to team up. Assuming you have your Switch online subscription, go to the mail cat in the town square - go Online and search for Lobby ID: 1RE0V0 , password: 1111. We'll figure it out from there. Should be around for an hour or two, I will update this post if the lobby ID changes or it goes offline. I'm Jigsawn in the game. D-pad accesses most of the communication options as does shortcut 3 and 4 on the L1 trigger radial menu.

Edit - lobby details updated

This game is soooooo good! Its a mixture of old, World, and a bunch of new tricks, which i wasn't sure about at first, but after a days play, i totally understand and appreciate. :wub:

The wirebug traversal takes some practice (remember A to hang in midair), and i still haven't got used to using it in combat, simply because as a MonHun veteran, i forget its there. But its versatility makes the game flow in a more direct manner. No need to sheathe and circle strafe - just ZL+A straight through the monster (it doesn't clip, its kinda slides over the monsters back, at least it did with Lagombi, and it felt awesome). So when you land on the monsters blindside, its weapon out and attack again!

It'll take some getting used to but i can see the HUGE potential for dynamic play already.

Oops! Double post.

Okay, top tip: You can sharpen, eat meat/rations, and heal while you're on the back of your Palamute chasing down the fleeing monster! Thats called streamlining the process.

It's joyous. I truly feel that Capcom have made the MH of my dreams this time, because they kept every single thing I liked about World and got rid of all the stuff that I didn't like. My only complaint with World was how it was all a bit too serious, and lacking in the goofy stuff that I have always just loved. So, what happens when I go to fight Lagombi? I'm treated with a poem that includes the line

Spoiler

"Is it hare? Or is it bear? It is neither, so beware!"

I mean ... that's genuinely brilliant stuff. Top marks to the localisation team!

I don't really know what "Hunter Connect" means, but it looks like the rest of the online and lobby stuff is pretty straightforward, to be honest. I was able to find a Wroggi fight to dive into so I could get its armour showing up, now I need to find the damn ores. This is without doubt going to be my GOTY, because as great as World was, it never quite felt like the MH I know and love. This game totally gets it!

Did a frozen island mission and really starting to appreciate the wireflies also. What is the point of the hang move though? For dropping on monsters from above?

For any new players reading, I just realised that holding L1 trigger in addition to opening the radial menu, also lets you cycle with Y and A as to what item your Y button will use. So you can easily rotate it off potions to other things in your inventory like steaks, the BBQ spit and other handy items without having to have them set up in your radial menu. 

Some of my World knowledge is coming back to me, I remembered about the BBQ spit, weapon upgrading and wishlisting and have been setting the optional sidequests for extra moolah. Not quite sure why there is a points currency and a gold currency, and I don't know which I should use to pay for stuff (as you sometimes get the option).

Just learning about Wyvern riding. Great new addition!

Curtis and Lee, I'm curious as to the kind of things you are talking about in terms of stuff from older games they've included in this that you had missed in World, and what they ditched from World that you didn't like (aside from the revival of silliness that you mentioned). I only played one of the Monster Hunter PSP games for a few zones and since then World is the only one I played fully, so I'm interested to hear what's changed.

Lobby I mentioned above will be open until around 1am UK time, if I'm not there immediately I'll be in a solo mission and back soonish. Nice that you can still do solo stuff whilst in the lobby. 

2 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

I just realised that holding L1 trigger in addition to opening the radial menu, also lets you cycle with Y and A as to what item your Y button will use. So you can easily rotate it off potions to other things in your inventory like steaks, the BBQ spit and other handy items without having to have them set up in your radial menu. 

You should change that straight away in the options so that L/R on the d-pad cycles through your current items, and L1 brings up the radial. Its much more efficient.

13 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

What is the point of the hang move though?

There are a lot of ledges that you can aim for, wirebug, and not quite reach the top, the character will try to run vertically for 2-3 steps, but then turn 180° and jump back down which is super annoying. Pressing A before they start to fall lets you hang in the air (stamina and wirebug charge free) so you can then re-adjust your camera/aim and either regular jump with B (if you're close), or wirebug again even higher.

2 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I'm a right fuddle with the insect glaive (I can't remember most of the insect related commands and what order to do them in), and it is hard to control flying in the air, but its fun nonetheless. If anyone knows of a way to have weapon move-lists appear as an overlay (outside of the training zone) do let me know.

ZR (or R2 to normal brains) + X = Fire you Kinsect. It will extract Red (Damage), White (Speed) Orange (Knockback Res) depending on where you target. (E.g. legs/wings for white, teeth/claws etc for damage, body for knockback in general)

ZE + A = Recall Kinsect and gain the buff. AFAIK the numbers don't matter. they just the order you got them - but you want one of each.

The bar under the 3 buffs is your Kinsects Stamina, When it runs outs it'll come back.

In previous games you could also "mark" an area for your Kinsect to auto attack. This seems to be ZR but works differently this time.

The glaive before use great for aerial comboes, hitting higher weak spots and mounting monsters. But now everyone can do that I'm not sure if it's got an identify.

Spent a couple of hours with this. It throughs tutorial screen after tutorial screen at you (about 50 in first 30 min) and completely overloads you with data/info/mechanics. Silk binds seem very confused and I can't follow why, say, sometimes ZL+X through a magic Kunai, and another time the exact same press jumps up.

I'm sure it'll get better (and 4 players starting out might not have been the best idea)  but confusing as hell and not actually that much fun as you're just failing/confused

Bow and Insect Glaive both seem much worse now that World :(

I put 80 hours into World a couple of years ago and haven't touched a MH game since, but bugger me if this isn't opaque and off-putting to players who haven't gone near MH in a while, let alone entirely new players. I fear I may have to put a few hours' work in before it gets good.

Yeah I'd love the same Hexx but can't find a way to do it. Having to dive into a submenu for a move list is a 'mare especially as you can't pause at all in combat. 

Thanks for the Glaive tips. The auto attack thing you are talking about must be when you hold R2 and then press R1, it makes a dust plume effect on the target that stays there and also shows the colour type, I just don't think I had the right type of Kinsect to autoattack the target. I agree that after a bit with it I am suspecting the other weapons may be just as aerial if you start using the silk bind jumps. What the silk bind tutorial doesn't make very clear is that it's not just using the silk bind move, you have to follow it up with mid-air attacks to actually cause the blue damage numbers - which count towards the total needed to get the monster mountable.

I'll give Glaive a bit longer as I have found more ways to string together mid-air stuff, but I'll also try out some other weapons using the wirebug moves and see if its as agile. Maybe even the heavy weapons will feel quite different to play once you start pinging around in midair with the bugs. Dual swords seem really fun but remembering all the combos is hard for me. The switch axe has awesome animations although feels quite clunky to use. Interested to hear what weapons people are using and if they're enjoying them.

9 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Dual swords seem really fun but remembering all the combos is hard for me. 

Dual Blades are pretty easy so far.

Demon Mode - press ZR. This is your damage mode. Drain Stamina like balls. Fill Demon Bar (White, Turns red when full)

Arch Demon mode - leave Demon mode with Demon Bar full (OR RED but partly full. It only turns white/useless again if if full empties). Demon bar depletes are you spend time in it (but stamina doesn't). Spend most time in this.

Basic human mode - don't be in this. 

Pretty much all combos are same in any more and are all quite good. AXXXA is a nice one. X+A locks you in place and WRECKS. Use when monster down.

ZL+X - fire silk into it, explodes after a while, does more damage more you hit it. Always use when monster down in demon mode and follow up with combo and a A+X. You need to be close though

ZL+A - dash foward and if hit, you counterattack. This feels like a game changer for DB.

I'm liking them and longsword atm. Spending time in Training room really helped.

I don't wanna stop playing, but i'm frazzled. I can't remember the last time i played for 14 hours straight on launch day.

Its exactly what i needed right now - a game so full of joy, but also exacting, dangerous, compulsive, familiar, but somehow fresh at the same time.

I love that MH World was so popular they felt it was okay to streamline it even further. It makes the ridiculous effort & grind we had to go through in old-old games seem utterly ludicrous. 

To all you new players, please don't get bogged down with the reams of text info/tutorials at the start of the game. Its too much too soon, when everyone in this thread can tell you: go to the equipment box, choose a weapon, go to the training area or exploration, and just mess about, get a feel for it, there are 2 attack buttons and normally a special that involves ZR. Forget all that shit! Did it feel okay? Natural? There are 13 choices, and you'll know immediately when you find it.

Once you choose, practice. Then play the game, missions, objectives. After a couple of hours you'll know. And even then, there's no reason why you can't change. This game allows more freedom for variation than anything you've ever played. The only XP is your understanding and familiarity with the monsters you face. Simple as that!