Monster Hunter: Rise & MH Stories 2. Switch bound. March 2021. Featuring doggo.

30 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Can you persuade her to start Rise with you, perhaps? It has a more traditional Monster Hunter setup, where half the game (Village quests) is solo only, and the other half (Hub quests) is designed for multiplayer - but I think they've made the Village stuff easier in this so it might actually encourage her to tackle the solo quests. Then the Hub quests should be decently challenging for you both. I think you'd both enjoy this setup a lot.

Oh, she wants Rise... and a Switch.

The prices for them over there are eye-watering though, and she hasn’t taken the plunge yet.

11 hours ago, JDubYes said:

I genuinely couldn’t wait for World, but then I’d barely started it before getting distracted. Went back in January of this year, probably thanks to the hype for Rise, started completely from scratch, and as of tonight have logged well over 200 hours. Now I get it.

With that said, I’m still not really ready for Rise, as I’m still only partway through Iceborne(‘s story). Not only that, but instead of trying to get through it quickly, like a sane person, so that I was ready for Rise, I’ve still been happily pootling around doing all the optional quests, and now I’m learning another bloody weapon*.

Im interested !  What MR are you ? I am 150 hours in and finished the Iceborne story a while back , there is no end in sight on the content after finishing!  Feel free to join me in the MH:World thread :) 

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Thank you, that sounds rather ace.

there are few things better in gaming than finally felling that massive monster just before the timer runs out... you've ran out of potions and everything... you need to break off during the fight and retreat to see if you can find stuff to heal yourself.. but time is running out... you start taking risks when you're fighting because you just know it's almost down... you can *feel* it, there's just something about the way the creature is acting that makes you feel that there's just one or two really well timed super strong hits with the great sword will do it.   You're nervous though, you can see the clock ticking.... then BOOM. Down it goes.

YASSSSSS

15 hours ago, Big Swifty said:

@Alan Stock yes you were definitely chop chop Great Sword in World. Had a thing for mounting too if I remember right. I was trip trip Longsword (Frank).

Thanks Frank, good to see you, add me on Switch so we can play again! I had a thing for mounting? Don't tell my mum!

ShopTo preorder arrived this morning, ordered it the day before yesterday so have faith ShopTo preorderers. I'll be hopping on shortly.

My Switch friends code is 7377-5880-4015 if anyone wants to to team up later on (name: Jigsawn).

1 hour ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

I can't believe we used to run around these maps using our own two feet, the doggos and gathering QoL changes (one gather/mine gets everything from that node) are great.

One of the things that put me off in the endgame was having to run everywhere and gathering so I am excited about the quality of life changes as well.

I really really really shouldn't buy this. Massively got in to MH:World, but I have loads of games on the go at the moment. I don't need a game that's going to eat my time. I should wait for the PC release...

So if you loved the Souls games, Breath of the Wild and Lost Planet 2 is this something that I should be believing the hype on? I only really like the Souls style multiplayer in games these days.

I'm always interested in an EG Essential rating but worried that it might be like Smash Bros. and a game that's just not for me?

4 minutes ago, merrychan said:

So if you loved the Souls games, Breath of the Wild and Lost Planet 2 is this something that I should be believing the hype on? I only really like the Souls style multiplayer in games these days.

I'm always interested in an EG Essential rating but worried that it might be like Smash Bros. and a game that's just not for me?

it's absolutely for you - particularly if you like the multiplayer aspect

1 minute ago, merrychan said:

I think BoTW is a massive red herring for any indication of liking Monster Hunter. Not sure about the others, Souls maybe in that you need to not spam attacks.

It's a really hard game to recommend to people. The demo is a good idea to try but it doesn't have the framework around the monster battles which is the reason for those battles. A big reason I got into it was because I really really wanted to, loved the art, the lore, the details, the humour and so on. Weirdly I'd say try the demo and as well as the hunts play around in the menus, read the hunter notes and stuff and see if that sparks your imagination.

@scottcrI think Lost Planet 2 is maybe the best comparison, not that the gameplay is super alike but Monster Hunter's world is remenicest of Lost Planet in its visuals and design, and the co-op experience is similar. 

Also its worth pointing out that regardless of Eurogamer's review, Rise has been scoring 9/10 all over the place. I think it's definitely worth a stab.

Personally I don't think the demo is a great indication for this kind of game, it takes a game session or two to really get into the groove (at least with the past Monster Hunter games). It's when you fell your first big beasts and get the hang of the flow that the game really starts to shine.

They really need to do a proper demo or full game trial that covers the first hour or two of the actual game, the experience is wildly different when you've had the proper lead-in. The combat-focused demos they always do are fine for existing fans checking out what's new, but they can't be bringing in many new players in their own right.

1 hour ago, merrychan said:

I take it you've never played a MH game before then?

DUDE.  Get it played! 

From the games you list, it's a no brainer. 

It basically a looting/crafting game, where you have to fight ever-increasingly incredible beasties for materials. 

Sounds a bit lame on paper, but once you realise the combat / bosses are their own reward, 'grinding' has never felt so good.  The combat can feel a bit clunky and weird at first, but hey, didn't Souls? 

Plus it has some incredibly inventive weapons and stuff.  I've only ever really played the 3DS MH, but it had an incredible musical instrument weapon called the Hunting Horn, which basically meant you got to belt out tunes to do buffs/debuffs, while literally beating a TRex to death with a giant trumpet. 

The multiplayer is lovely too, very dip-in-and-out-able.  Plus everyone is ace, and playing with Randoms youget to see some amazing late-game gear and stuff which acts as a nice motivator to keep going :)

I'm gutted I have no Switch to join in!! 

1 hour ago, merrychan said:

Lost planet was pretty much Capcom trying to do a Sci-Fi Monster Hunter but not as good, you should of been playing MH Tri back then and need to get on this NOW!

My only regret with this game is that it's stuck on the Switch. Having spent the last six months enjoying pretty much everything at 4K/60fps/HDR on my Series X, going back to what is basically 720p/30fps in docked mode on this is going to be a struggle. Yes I'm shallow.

Just now, Garwoofoo said:

My only regret with this game is that it's stuck on the Switch. Having spent the last six months enjoying pretty much everything at 4K/60fps/HDR on my Series X, going back to what is basically 720p/30fps in docked mode on this is going to be a struggle. Yes I'm shallow.

Wait for PC version

1 minute ago, Garwoofoo said:

It runs great, 5 mins in you really wont care (I went from MHW on the PS5 to this last night when it launched and didnt care at all in minutes)

I understand why people compare it to Souls, but I never feel it quite gets things right. Combat is identical, down to time itself being a resource, but that's not the whole game.

Time, as I said, matters. You are going to have to accept that swinging a half-ton sword takes time, and thus you have no choice but to commit to an attack once it starts. You can, and will, get interrupted if you don't play it smart. Likewise, that monster doesn't care that you are at low health, and won't wait for you to finish your potion. In the same way that you can pounce on its weakness, it will pounce on yours. Balance the need against the risk. You may find yourself with multiple blights, each changing your priority. 

But then, the other bit comes into play. Rathian keeps on poisoning me, but I can actually wear armour that protects against that status. Oh, but it makes me more likely to get stunned. Maybe if I add this, I can get some protection against both? Or maybe, if I ignore that and use this piece which gives me better attack ... It's not exactly random loot, you can always make the exact piece you want to, but the drop itself is random. The Desire Sensor knows what you want, and will make you work for it.

And all the while, you're getting better. Not your in-game character, YOU! You will always have the same moves that you started with. All that changes is the equipment you have, but in order to get the good stuff you need to git gud. That sword with the elemental bonus probably requires you to chop off a tail, or break a head. And that's the part you learn by doing. Barroth Crown? I'll get it every time now, but the first one took me days.

It ticks several obsessive boxes, then. RNG loot-hunting exists, but you can always get by without the bonuses regardless. You genuinely feel yourself improving as you play more. There are dozens of systems in play, each can be ignored or engaged with as much or as little as you like. No other game series I know of is so personal, so customisable, so ME.

I'd love to be playing this but apparently mines still in the royal mail warehouse in Birmingham...shopto normally are very good with getting things to me day of release, probably covid issues. Oh well I'll just be patient.

25 minutes ago, mrsnrub said:

I'd love to be playing this but apparently mines still in the royal mail warehouse in Birmingham...shopto normally are very good with getting things to me day of release, probably covid issues. Oh well I'll just be patient.

Check your delivery method when you ordered compared to the method they dispatched it by. I guarantee they've changed it from normal Royal Mail 24h to 48h Tracked, they've been doing that with preorders for a while now and claiming it's an "upgrade". 

2 minutes ago, Mafro said:

Check your delivery method when you ordered compared to the method they dispatched it by. I guarantee they've changed it from normal Royal Mail 24h to 48h Tracked, they've been doing that with preorders for a while now and claiming it's an "upgrade". 

Wish they wouldn't

Just spent about 45 minutes customising my 3 characters - me, my doggo and my palico. Puts Cyberpunk to shame! I've made an old veteran warrior with white hair and scars and his ragged grey companions. Just in the intro but immediately the music has grabbed me, I forgot how good it was in World. Now I'm in the village and the graphical downgrade on Switch in the environment is very noticeable (playing docked) compared to PS4 World, but the visual design itself is nice as ever. 

8 minutes ago, Curtis said:

Its worth noting that Shopto now guarantee release day delivery as long as you order by midday on the Wednesday of that week. Failure on their part means you get £5 credit added to your account.

Details are here...

They say that but they don't provide a link to the form you need to fill out, unless it's incredibly well hidden. I tried to do this before with Cyberpunk when it turned up late but just got ignored on their Twitter, Facebook and the contact form on their website when I asked for a link to the compensation form. They were mass-deleting comments on their Facebook when loads of people were asking for the same when their Cyberpunk orders were late because they changed the delivery method.

Well ten minutes into the game and its clear they haven't learned anything about tutorials. Bombarded with loads of information (half of which isn't even relevant yet), menu screens and ferried from one NPC to the next. About to head into the first training quest. Woe betide any newcomers to Monster Hunter if this is what's regarded 'accessible'! 

Also the voice acting is terrible so far.