Why have you pre-ordered a PS5? For the Bubbles

Firstly, let me preface this with two points: 1) I don't intend this to be an inflammatory thread, and 2) after being pretty sure I'd get a PS5 at or soon after launch I now have no interest in one at all thanks to what was, in my opinion, a terrible display by Sony last night.

What I'd like to know, in the nicest possible way, why you have pre-ordered or intend on pre-ordering, a PS5. And if you went digital, why. I'm interested in the reasons because I genuinely can't see any right now. I'm not looking to be convinced to get one, nor am I looking for justification for not getting one - it's just a simple question: Why have you pre-ordered a PS5? If you haven't and won't be - move along please.

3 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Free cancellations effectively giving you 8 weeks to see if they do actually want to make an effort with it between now and then.

It's this for me.  Used Amazon as they have excellent customer service so could probably take delivery and return (unused) within a month and get a full refund if I wished to.

In the main PS5 thread, someone mentioned my second rationale which is that I don't expect there to be a price drop for at least 2 years and I do expect there to be games I'd like to play in that time.  Therefore buying one now gives me a greater opportunity to play / enjoy the console (and also have that launch day buzz of waiting 5 hours for firmware updates and game patches to download).

At the minute I'm thinking i'll play Astro Bot, have my curiosity satisfied about what the pad feels like, the UI, quality of 4K UHD playback and PS4 back compat ( you know - all the things we should already know at this point but they haven't bothered to communicate) etc, then box it up, walk into CEX a few days later and (likely, on past experience) get given more cash than i paid for it. There is no way I'll ever part with £70 for a standard disc or digital download.

For a variety of reasons :

-I'm actually pretty excited for the pad, I've always loved rumble and it sounds like the stuff they're doing with haptic feedback and adaptive triggers is actually gonna result in more immersive.

-there are actually games I want to play during the launch window and even if some have now been announced as coming to PS4, I want to have the best version of them.

-I still have a big PS4 backlog but I'd like to be able to play them without a console that sounds like it's about to take off into space.

-I can actually afford to buy a console at launch with my own money for once in my life

-we've had a shit year and we're not in the clear just yet so hey, I want to indulge a little.

The caveat to this is that I don't have a 4K TV yet so I'm not getting the full experience in November, but that's what Christmas money is for.

Because it will be a leap over PS4, Demon's Souls looks awesome and I'm really interested in the new controller and Astro Bot.

DE because for me convenience > price (my disposable income is pretty high luckily).

Also, it's more environment friendly which matters to me.

7 minutes ago, Blunt said:

-there are actually games I want to play during the launch window and even if some have now been announced as coming to PS4, I want to have the best version of them.

-I still have a big PS4 backlog but I'd like to be able to play them without a console that sounds like it's about to take off into space.

-I can actually afford to buy a console at launch with my own money for once in my life

Exactly this for me too. That and the fact that i have a decent gaming PC and can play the xbox stuff on that.

Habit, essentially.

Waiting for a new console release in that last week or so leading up to launch day. The excitement and subsequent disappointment each time you hear a vehicle passing by the house. The eventual joy at opening the package and carefully removing the contents. The complete ambivalence just a couple of days later. 

If I’m honest with myself it’s the only thing that comes anywhere close to the feeling Christmas gave me as a kid, and these days I’m happy to pay a premium for a fleeting reminder of those innocent days every few years.

I always try to get new consoles at launch, exciting times. It makes me happy. Now that both XsX and PS5DE turned out to cost significantly less than I expected, I'm all in on both. PS5 will have Miles Morales and Demon's Souls for me and the XsX will have Yakuza 7 and Cyberpunk. On top of my current gen backlog, which will run and look better on the new consoles. I'm excited! (And there will be plenty more exciting games in 2021 and beyond!)

TL;DR I love the smell of new consoles in the morning

I have no idea. 

I saved the money thinking I would want one on launch. But I'm thinking "what's the fucking point? For Spiderman?"

I'm still torn if I should just cancel and wait until GoW 2 comes out. 

3 hours ago, Down by Law said:

At the minute I'm thinking i'll play Astro Bot, have my curiosity satisfied about what the pad feels like, the UI, quality of 4K UHD playback and PS4 back compat ( you know - all the things we should already know at this point but they haven't bothered to communicate) etc, then box it up, walk into CEX a few days later and (likely, on past experience) get given more cash than i paid for it. There is no way I'll ever part with £70 for a standard disc or digital download.

I can see me doing this if I go ahead. Finish Spiderman then put the thing up for sale as know I won't use it for months (or years)

Pre-ordered because I went Xbox last gen, so the immediate lull in games can be made up of an entire generation of PS4 games I missed out on, plus it’s given me the push to finally get a 4K telly and see what all the fuss is about 

22 minutes ago, Ry said:

I have no idea. 

I saved the money thinking I would want one on launch. But I'm thinking "what's the fucking point? For Spiderman?"

I'm still torn if I should just cancel and wait until GoW 2 comes out. 

I was the same I wanted GT7 on release but then thought I can play Cyberpunk better than I can on my loud PS4 so pre-order was placed.

I'm going to buy one anyway, and have the cash available now.

It could be 12 months on before we get a price drop, so it would effectively cost me £50 for a year's use out of it, and I didn't regret buying a launch day PS4.

Also, it's my birthday.

8 minutes ago, Luseth said:

In the hope that it's quieter than my ps4....

Surely it has to be. Surely. I really hope someone somewhere can confirm this soon. I'm fairly confident about the XsX in this regard but having recently played TLOU2 Sony has yet to earn my trust - it sounded like sitting in a room filled with dozens of Dreamcasts all playing Soulcalibur simultaneously!

Edit: also I'm excited! What better way to end this awful, awful year than bringing some festive cheer into your house with a shiny new next gen console? FUCK 2020, NEXT GEN ESCAPISM HERE I COME BABY YEAH

Because there was never really any doubt. I'm a sucker for a shiny new gadget, have no interest in the Xbox exclusives, and the digital edition is cheaper than I was expecting.

I'll offload my Pro shortly for some cash and take a little break from gaming until release day.

For Demon's Souls and as a belated PS4 Pro upgrade of my ol' launch day PS4. Disc version as well to be able to enjoy the 4K BD Ghost in the Shell. The only thing that needs to be confirmed now is a PS5 client for Warframe at launch. :P (As for Xbox: I love their long-term strategy, but sadly, they don't have the games I want to play.)

3 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Surely it has to be. Surely. I really hope someone somewhere can confirm this soon. I'm fairly confident about the XsX in this regard but having recently played TLOU2 Sony has yet to earn my trust - it sounded like sitting in a room filled with dozens of Dreamcasts all playing Soulcalibur simultaneously!

Edit: also I'm excited! What better way to end this awful, awful year than bringing some festive cheer into your house with a shiny new next gen console? FUCK 2020, NEXT GEN ESCAPISM HERE I COME BABY YEAH

Luckily it is out a week before in US so we will get lots of info on fan noise.

I don’t see how last night was a terrible display. £70 games aside. Demon’s Souls and Miles Morales look amazing, and both are out at launch. They showed a new Final Fantasy and more RE8. There was other stuff too that didn’t appeal to me, but all of the above should easily satiate appetites. What’s wrong with somecunts?

49 minutes ago, Billy Brown said:

Habit, essentially.

Waiting for a new console release in that last week or so leading up to launch day. The excitement and subsequent disappointment each time you hear a vehicle passing by the house. The eventual joy at opening the package and carefully removing the contents. The complete ambivalence just a couple of days later. 

If I’m honest with myself it’s the only thing that comes anywhere close to the feeling Christmas gave me as a kid, and these days I’m happy to pay a premium for a fleeting reminder of those innocent days every few years.

Agreed, my choice is the series S but the logic is similar. A console purchase is really my only real extravagance now. Being able to be part of the experience is worth the money for me. Obviously the console will get use but it is about more than that. Almost every year for the last few years I have got a new or upgraded console around Christmas time but being part of the day one release fervor is an excellent bonus.