IGNORED

Hogwarts Legacy - TERF war

Captain Kelsten

4 hours ago, MK-1601 said:

There you go Unofficial Who. WB aren't total idiots, sometimes.

3 hours ago, Isaac said:

It doesn't matter if they bin the staff member, as ultimately this being a Harry Potter product means that money will be lining the pockets of the TERF Queen.

So I'm still out.

Yep, from the commercial side I can't see how this makes things better. The comments I'd seen when this was revealed were more along the lines of "ah but of course" rather than "this is the final straw." If this was a move by WB I can't see this regaining them a single sale. I can see this losing them some. His background and involvement was never the issue.

2 hours ago, K said:

Gosh, I wonder if he liked the Last Jedi or not? Hard to tell given his other interests. 

I believe he has a video called "Saving the Last Jedi" so I'm guessing not a fan of the current cut.

A thing that bothers me is that a million fucking idiot "gamers" with sexist, homophobic and transphobic views will worship this guy and follow his youtube channel. And he will make more money than i ever will. 

Its pays to be a piece of shit these days. 

2 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Or, he says something awful which gets a video demonetized and YouTube pockets all the ad revenue instead. It's win win.

Would be good. But youtube is filled with people like him (and some worse i imagine)

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

This may serve as a helpful dive into your own research on the subject

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/5/22315226/hogwarts-legacy-leavitt-resigns-developer-avalanche-youtube-gamergate

Not really.

I posted earlier in the thread saying that all articles kind of skimmed the issue and didn't really make any direct claims.

I watched some of his videos and couldn't see what the fuss was. It's obvious he has some controversial leanings, but honestly can't see what anyone is upset with specifically.

E.g he says this in this video, he's acted a certain way towards others, etc. 

Like there have been claims of bigotry and sexism and articles mention the John lasstner video the guy made, but I watched it and troy calls out the bloke for his behaviour, it was (ironically) more about how media presents things.

E.g. with J.K. it's clear - here is the article she wrote, it says these things specifically that we feel are transphobic. Clear and understandable, but what I have seen about the lead designer seems so abstract in all honestly. Obviously might have missed something, but can't see what that is.

44 minutes ago, Openrob said:

I posted earlier in the thread saying that all articles kind of skimmed the issue and didn't really make any direct claims.

I watched some of his videos and couldn't see what the fuss was. It's obvious he has some controversial leanings, but honestly can't see what anyone is upset with specifically.

Sure, although I think it's fair to say not everyone will perceive whatever is said the same way. You haven't posted here much so I don't have a sense of your values, other than in a 5 page thread about this game you have said it looks good 3 times.

I found this thread helpful, as I know nothing of this guy (I don't watch any gaming crap):

Enough to lose his job? I don't know, haven't read WB's social media policy. But I don't like the guy from those video titles and the summaries in the thread go downhill from there. Like this:

Moral panic? No, "about goddamn time" would be my characterization. 

Can you please confirm that you are in no way related to the production or promotion of this game, WB, any of its subsidiaries, or the Harry Potter franchise?

45 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Yeah the guy absolutely doesn't have an agenda. He seems perfectly balanced and rational. Really.

Screenshot_20210305-185851.thumb.jpg.af77dc19f6acbcc26fbd1aaa4040f45a.jpg

But have you watched those videos and found offence with what he's actually said though?

Because that's what I've come across at every turn, a headline, but without any depth. What did the guy *actually* say in those videos that was so despicable?

@TehStu

Lol yeah fair enough I get that haha.

I'm no way even connected to the video game industry at all (aside from occasional discussion on the internet!). I'm very left leaning, and honestly never heard of this guy until the story broke. Just find it odd that everyone was so up in arms against the guy when I couldn't see what triggered it.

I used to post on gaf and era (under same username but they both have become really insufferable.  

8 minutes ago, Openrob said:

I'm no way even connected to the video game industry at all (aside from occasional discussion on the internet!). I'm very left leaning, and honestly never heard of this guy until the story broke. Just find it odd that everyone was so up in arms against the guy when I couldn't see what triggered it.

Thanks for answering. Let us know what the game is like when it comes out.

4 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Thanks for answering. Let us know what the game is like when it comes out.

Oh for sure! Haha.

That's what got to me, this is the game i'm most looking forward to from this upcoming Gen. I mean apart from Stray, this was the most exciting thing from  the PS5 showcase.

I mean it's the world of Harry potter, without all the annoyances of the main characters lol (I mean they're great, but as I have got older subsequent re-reads have made they really do come across as more annoying than anything!).

56 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Sometimes I wish we were a little bit more like resetera. Just a tiny bit.

Oh god no. It’s full of the worst sort of performative outrage from people who then grumble about parents getting state support. 

1 hour ago, Openrob said:

Because that's what I've come across at every turn, a headline, but without any depth. What did the guy *actually* say in those videos that was so despicable?

maybe...just maybe...you go and watch the fucking videos instead of seemingly wanting somebody else to have done it and tell you...:coffee:

1 hour ago, Rain Birds said:

Oh god no. It’s full of the worst sort of performative outrage from people who then grumble about parents getting state support. 

Damn and that was exactly the tiny bit of resetera I wanted here too!

Maybe we’re all unfairly judging this guy. I’m sure there’s a lot of people obsessed with making negative YouTube videos about Anita who have a decent point to make right? We’ve just missed them all. 

On 05/03/2021 at 16:52, Openrob said:

Can anyone answer what the guy said that was so bad?

I mean people are really angry, but I *still* don't know why.

Yes you do, you're just trying to waste people's time and energy.