IGNORED

Hogwarts Legacy - TERF war

Doctor Shark

2 hours ago, Openrob said:

That's a far reach in terms of what has been presented though. There is a lot of content on that channel, and I skimmed through a few of them, but I didn't see anything that was as extreme as that, not maybe I didn't look at the specific videos that people have issues with.

To be fair I only dipped into two of the videos and read an interview by a pro-gater site but decided life was too short to watch dozens of hours of videos made three years ago. I don't get a good feeling about this game given some of his views from them and some of JK's views. I personally think banning talk of the game is counter productive though. And I think it wasn't worthy of a news story. Let's see the sales figures on the day.

To address some of your points though

P.s. I also think in the grand scheme of things no one will really care.

I think some will care about this enough to not buy this. I think WB doesn't understand that their audience for this are no longer children but adults between the ages of 20-30. A good number of these fans have misread some of the messaging in the books as being pro "justice warrior" which is understandable given some of the themes and also how some of the material has shaped them and the people involved in them. I know a lot of previously hard core HP fans who have drifted sadly away from the books and the films. So, yeah, a sizable number do care. But that leads me to your last point.

It's a harry potter game.. and looks like a good one at that. This is going to be a big seller.

I actually agree with you on this last point. Even losing a good chunk of the massive audience is going to leave a massive audience who will buy this day one. Harry Potter fans who are not over the franchise or will ignore some of the issues (or maybe not aware of some of the issues.)  Harry Potter fans who "don't want politics in our games." Slytherin fans for which the views of the lead producer might even make the game more attractive to them!

1 hour ago, Spacehost said:

So to summarise, he's not got some very unpleasant views unless he does, in which case we shouldn't care because no one will, but if people do, it doesn't matter, because this product will generate revenue for the corporation?

A good summing up of how the market for this game will hand wave away any of these concerns.

On 28/02/2021 at 21:57, Alex W. said:

Why would you actually say “my employer tacitly endorses my views”?

Given Warner's response (or lack of response) I'd say they either do or they've done a cost benefit analysis on this. 

3 hours ago, MK-1601 said:

"legitimate discussions"

https://www.youtube.com/c/TroyLeavitt/videos

I would say that someone who has a weird YouTube channel where they have tantrums about women is already pretty radicalised. He can hold whatever fucked up views he likes, but if that has consequences regarding his employment in the industry that's not anyone else's fault.

There will be no consequences. They've known for years. At this point they'd face backlash from the people willing to buy the game if they terminated his employment over previously broadcast views and not gain a single sale from those critical of his views.

A modern AAA game is going to have a budget of tens if not hundreds of millions, particularly with this license attached and several hundred people working on it. 

IT titles are also such that "Lead Designer" might be a super important position or barely above mid level. 

By all means don't buy it if you disagree with Rowling's stance, but not sure this is indicative of anything other than if you pick a random couple of hundred people in IT, you are going to have some assholes mixed in there. 

1 hour ago, kensei said:

A modern AAA game is going to have a budget of tens if not hundreds of millions, particularly with this license attached and several hundred people working on it. 

IT titles are also such that "Lead Designer" might be a super important position or barely above mid level. 

By all means don't buy it if you disagree with Rowling's stance, but not sure this is indicative of anything other than if you pick a random couple of hundred people in IT, you are going to have some assholes mixed in there. 

The first, and doubly so for the second. I'm also not sure you can fire people for political views, though he's surely skirting very close to termination for bringing the company into disrepute if he's been vocal about working for WB in his videos (a third party linking him from job descriptions to WB and then the other way to his videos - I imagine would be dubious grounds for termination in the UK).

You shouldn't be firing people for political views unless it's dangerous or illegal regardless. Even arseholes can have kids and families to support that are entirely innocent of daddy's online rants. Dragging plebs into stuff because you are pissed with JK Rowling is not cool. 

That said, only utter morons that don't value making a living put out political content that could be any way linked back to their employer. Particularly if it's a media company, you'd have to be mad. 

I can only assume they skipped the mildly terrifying social media HR briefings and online training. Even in the UK, the case law is massively stacked against you. 

19 minutes ago, kensei said:

You shouldn't be firing people for political views unless it's dangerous or illegal regardless.

It's not illegal to believe certain classes of people are inherently inferior at their jobs than others, for example, but I'd absolutely fire anyone in a leadership position who believed it, because they can't do their job properly.

As a general principle Kensei that’s fine, but if someone’s political views are about how workplaces should operate,* then that invites some challenging questions about professional ethics and not very challenging questions about your HR department’s interpretation of your contract.

If I was a senior creative who believed that senior creatives should get more leniency when they harass their colleagues, I would tread carefully in expressing that.

*Explicitly or implicitly.

24 minutes ago, kensei said:

You shouldn't be firing people for political views unless it's dangerous or illegal regardless

Is this guy a yank? I just signed my annual social media and at-will employment attestation. He is, indeed, a moron to be doing anything online that can be linked back to employer.

It’s entirely possible that he keeps that stuff out of the office, works professionally with others regardless of gender and is good enough at his job that it simply doesn’t matter. Lots of people with genuinely terrible ideas manage to not let that interfere with their professional lives or negatively affect their colleagues.

9 hours ago, Sixkiller said:

Gamergate, whilst standing contrary to everything I personally believe, is nevertheless too broad a movement to simply be branded "far right" in my opinion.  I think anyone who's far right would support gamergate, but not everyone who supports gamergate would support the far right.  I agree fully that Gamergate (and the ongoing overall 'culture war') has been used by the far right to drag people into their ideology.  But that happens because it does not appear in itself inherently extreme - presenting a 'reasonable' facade to draw people in, and that means there can be people attracted to it and subsequently caught in that umbrella who aren't far-right, never want to be, and never will be.  Guilt by assocation with a movement so undefined is very dangerous.

I’m afraid that if you manage to still support gamergate then, yes, you have weird incel far-right anti-fact tendencies.

it was not even slightly covert when it was at its height. It hasn’t been since.

if you’re “associated” with gamergate, or think it was anything other than a flimsy cover for a lot of harassment of women and minorities by twats from 4chan, then yes - guilt by association is exactly what you deserve.

15 hours ago, Alex W. said:

As a general principle Kensei that’s fine, but if someone’s political views are about how workplaces should operate,* then that invites some challenging questions about professional ethics and not very challenging questions about your HR department’s interpretation of your contract.

If I was a senior creative who believed that senior creatives should get more leniency when they harass their colleagues, I would tread carefully in expressing that.

*Explicitly or implicitly.

Let me rephrase it then as there should be a very high bar. Particularly if it isn't expressed in the workplace. 

19 hours ago, Broker said:

C’mon guys, it’s a “broad movement” that just happens to constantly attack women. Just being associated with it doesn’t mean you’ve got incredibly misogynistic views! Because as we all know...

Hang on, are you saying it isn't just about ethics in videogame journalism?

:mellow:

5 hours ago, Harsin said:

Has she had a Twitter meltdown yet?

4 hours ago, Eighthours said:

She won't, unless a trans character can enter a girls' loo.

She might over this.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/378045/Report_Hogwarts_Legacy_will_include_transinclusive_character_creator.php?

The title, which is due to launch in 2022, will let players customize the voice and body of their character, letting them choose a masculine or feminine voice irrespective of which body type they select.

They'll also be prompted to pick between entering Hogwarts as a "witch" or "wizard" -- with that choice determining which dormitory they are placed in at the magical school.

Graham is probably blogging up a storm already.

It's not going to change my purchasing decision (at almost 50 I'd say I'm probably too old to be playing a Harry Potter MMO but for the teen to thirties market it might make a difference.

5 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

She might over this.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/378045/Report_Hogwarts_Legacy_will_include_transinclusive_character_creator.php?

Graham is probably blogging up a storm already.

It's not going to change my purchasing decision (at almost 50 I'd say I'm probably too old to be playing a Harry Potter MMO but for the teen to thirties market it might make a difference.

So I can’t play as Eskarina Smith?

8 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

I think you can but you'll have to bunk with the boys if you pick wizard as your class.

Boo. It was literally the first thing I thought of yesterday when there was the girls can be wizards too story.