Jump to content

Hogwarts Legacy - TERF war


Captain Kelsten
 Share

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Zael said:

I think the idea of boycotting something with the purpose of harming it financially so the bad thing will stop is a bit of a red herring. Vegetarians don't stop eating meat thinking they're going to end the global consumption of meat. We don't take out our recycling thinking that we are going to solve climate change. It's about your own personal morality and doing what you think is right at the end of the day. 

 

this is one of the most ahistorical posts i've seen on rllmuk and i post in the politics threads, well done

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Zael said:

 

Ok could you explain why, without the snark?

 

 

I'm genuinely surprised because some of the most famous movements in history either started with or incorporated boycotts, for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycott#Notable_boycotts

 

successful boycotts put pressure on groups in one of the few ways people hold power over the rich and elite - their pockets. Rowling might be a billionaire but she's only as useful to others as the money she brings in and once that flows starts to become negative, you best believe she'll lose her influence and ground. Maybe it's too much to hope she'd be materially impacted but look at how people basically ignored notch until he just withdrew from public life cos of how hated he was. Minecraft is completely divested from him now and barely anyone thinks about him.

 

Would be great if we could make Rowling culturally irrelevant as she deserves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, SMD said:

 

I'm genuinely surprised because some of the most famous movements in history either started with or incorporated boycotts, for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycott#Notable_boycotts

 

successful boycotts put pressure on groups in one of the few ways people hold power over the rich and elite - their pockets. Rowling might be a billionaire but she's only as useful to others as the money she brings in and once that flows starts to become negative, you best believe she'll lose her influence and ground. Maybe it's too much to hope she'd be materially impacted but look at how people basically ignored notch until he just withdrew from public life cos of how hated he was. Minecraft is completely divested from him now and barely anyone thinks about him.

 

Would be great if we could make Rowling culturally irrelevant as she deserves.

 

Ok but I didn't deny any of that, personally I would love it if there was a mass boycott of this game and it flopped. My point is that if your only thought process as to why people want to boycott this is to cause significant material impact to JKR then that's a red herring. I'm not going to buy the game but I have absolutely no belief that it's going to impact her one way or the other. I'm doing it because believe it's the right thing to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Zael said:

 

Ok but I didn't deny any of that, personally I would love it if there was a mass boycott of this game and it flopped. My point is that if your only thought process as to why people want to boycott this is to cause significant material impact to JKR then that's a red herring. I'm not going to buy the game but I have absolutely no belief that it's going to impact her one way or the other. I'm doing it because believe it's the right thing to do.

 

I'm relieved to hear that, I still think its worth trying though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JKR is so rich she's untouchable. Obviously the furore has made her persona non grata in some circles, hence her being kept away from the HP reunion show. Much like Glinner however, she regards the opprobrium as a badge of honour, especially as she gets love bombed by fellow bigots. And she also regards her ongoing royalties as another sign that she's in the right, so that is another reason not to add your pounds to the pile.

 

I realise it's hard giving up something you like. There are few things in life I like more than a World Cup month, but in 2010 I decided I'd boycott Russia and Qatar. My actions don't seem to have toppled Putin just yet, but since then I have felt more and more justified that I was right to do so.

 

So as well as the grateful thanks of those of us affected by her bigotry, I can also offer you an enormous feeling of self-satisfaction, and it's hard to put a price on that. Must be worth more than another action RPG.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Graham S said:

I realise it's hard giving up something you like. There are few things in life I like more than a World Cup month, but in 2010 I decided I'd boycott Russia and Qatar. My actions don't seem to have toppled Putin just yet, but since then I have felt more and more justified that I was right to do so.

Solidarity brother I hope my resolve holds out when my country plays; it didn’t toward the latter stages for Russia

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Out of curiosity for those opposed to JKR, what are your thoughts on if someone bought the game second hand? She would be receiving no benefit but the person buying it would still get to enjoy the franchise. Surely that's more of a middle ground? It's ok to say someone should give something up because of the moral implications when it's something you are not particularly interested in.

 

Just seen that @SMD has suggested similar above.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Luseth said:

Out of curiosity for those opposed to JKR, what are your thoughts on if someone bought the game second hand? She would be receiving no benefit but the person buying it would still get to enjoy the franchise. Surely that's more of a middle ground? It's ok to say someone should give something up because of the moral implications when it's something you are not particularly interested in.

 

Just seen that @SMD has suggested similar above.

 

I certainly wouldn't want to police the small print of this, it's not worth the time and energy. People have their reasons, and can work this all out for themselves. JKR is an unpleasant sideshow that we're only forced to think about because of her enormous platform. She's not the heart of the issue.

 

I think it's more important that everyone supports LGBT people and does what they can to stand against the current wave of transphobia.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, SMD said:

If you're gonna watch the World Cup, illegally stream it. Or don't pay your TV license.

I don't that helps. Russia and Qatar aren't in it for the money, they're in it to sportswash their reputation, so the world's attention is what they were after. I suppose by that metric given JKR is nation-state rich the same may apply.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with Graham above - the finer points of any individual stance are for that individual to work out. Don't want to provide money or be counted in the metrics? Don't buy the game (or don't watch the football through tracked channels, for that matter). If you don't feel comfortable with the attachment that Rowling or the abuse in Qatar has, and don't want to partake on that basis, then that's also fine. Whether or not there's a workaround that satisfies your conscience is a matter for your conscience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Graham S said:

I don't that helps. Russia and Qatar aren't in it for the money, they're in it to sportswash their reputation, so the world's attention is what they were after. I suppose by that metric given JKR is nation-state rich the same may apply.

 

I agree with you, just if you're gonna partake anyway then at least make sure they don't get the metrics/money. I've got no moral issue with people going down that route.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know why you would want anything to do with her rancid beliefs even second hand.

 

I have managed to keep fairly ignorant of the content of the game, but I get the impression it has her weird views on slavery fairly front and centre... that does not get better second hand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I'm only half-joking, but they should've featured this game on that 'Trouble with art' program (or whatever it's called) that Jimmy Carr hosted.

Jimmy Carr ceremonially deletes the GitHub repo for the game on Channel 4 and sets about the developer's hard drives with hammers and circular saws. It becomes one of the great lost games and gamers spend the next few decades wishing they could put down a slave revolt in the wizarding world, scouring youtube for the remaining bits of footage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

I assume anyone being supportive of that community also isn't playing or buying Ubisoft or Activision-Blizzard games either right?

 

I've no interest in Potter so it's easy to ignore at least. But it is interesting seeing the popularity of the Overwatch thread how some publishers/creators/issues/behaviours are perceived versus others. Be it organisational sexism and abuse, crunch, terf-ing, whatever.

 

The test is when the thing you love or like the look of turns up. And I don't think most of this forum is buying or playing this regardless of Rowling's disgusting views.

 

Big Ubisoft fan here. I'm one of those awful people that love Assassin's Creed. Was looking forward to Valhalla. Did not buy, won't buy.

My partner is a lifelong Blizzard fan. Was looking forward to both Diablo 2:Remastered and 4. Hasn't bought 2, won't buy 4. Has stopped playing Overwatch and has switched from WoW to FF14.

 

I'm sure we're not the only ones who've skipped things they would have loved. So point negated?

 

Not really, there are more games to play in existence now than I could play in one lifetime. So you could still put the argument that our sacrifice is no sacrifice at all really. It's not like it's 1982 and if we boycott Pitfall there is almost nothing else similar to play.

 

We won't be getting this but we walked away from the Potter franchise years ago so I'm not sure that can be counted as a loss. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

 

Was this the twitter thread talking about how little the people working on Harry Potter merch makes?

 

Because that thread is gone now due to awfulness robust debaters with genuine concerns.

 

 

 


It was about that and the dictorial control Rowling and her agents keep 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.